ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

only just noticed..........

clio 197 cup
had my clio 197 cup for 5 months now and only just found out it has a shift light on the rev counter:eek::S

anyone else notice something new about there car after you had it a while?:approve:

S4 Avant
had my clio 197 cup for 5 months now and only just found out it has a shift light on the rev counter:eek::S

anyone else notice something new about there car after you had it a while?:approve:

Yep, I never knew the rattles got so much worse with the back seats out :(

wait and see ;)
ive only just found out 172's have this aswell, i thought it wus only the 182's that had it

S4 Avant
Do all 197's have this?

Tbh, its a pointless light. Redline in first comes around far too quickly for you to notice the gear change light, and in any other gear, you'll be going too fast to have time to look down at the little light

RB 197 fatty
yeah i got one. its pointless isnt it?! by the time it comes on and youv looked down and seen it, if you havnt already started to shift gear then i reckon you will either red line thinking about changing gear or crash because your looking down at a stupid green light.

....and it might just be mine, but does it sometimes not work?!?!

some say u shouldnt really hit it, but each to their own. (doesnt it only work when cold too, i.e a safety feature?)

i noticed it on a friends 197 first time out... that says something for my driving!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It just comes on sooner when the engines cold, works when warm to.

wait and see ;)
some say u shouldnt really hit it, but each to their own. (doesnt it only work when cold too, i.e a safety feature?)

i noticed it on a friends 197 first time out... that says something for my driving!
do the megan's have it aswell naith?

E87 118d M Sport
well im 35!!!! lol dont really drive fast.
and dont be saying i shouldnt have bought a 2 litre clio then:mad:

lol wouldnt dream of it. when i bought mine i was told bout it, but you surely must of red lined a car once in that length of time. i always notice if lights come on the dash...

Renaultsport Clio 197
I dont think its the optimum time to change, i think its a change gear before you break me?

No it is Optimum time to change.

The rev limiter is there for "change gear before you break me", which comes after the gear change light.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I was under the assumption the light was the marker for where peak power finished, so changing up would put you back in the power band ready to go and reving further is pointless. Warns you that the limiter is about to kick in.....

I catch mine out the corner of my eye when driving (giving it the beans)......

Also just occured to me, if you use an RSTuner unit therefore upping the rev limit with the new map, does the change light move up the rev range or stay where it is?

A ANIMAL
I was under the assumption the light was the marker for where peak power finished, so changing up would put you back in the power band ready to go and reving further is pointless. Warns you that the limiter is about to kick in.....

I catch mine out the corner of my eye when driving (giving it the beans)......

Also just occured to me, if you use an RSTuner unit therefore upping the rev limit with the new map, does the change light move up the rev range or stay where it is?

Max torque is @ 5250
Maxpower is @ 6500

Green light comes on @ about 7k iirc, so revving up that extra 500rpm would be pointless

Edit: not sure abou the RSTuner thingy

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
Wouldn't it be cool if you could hook up the circuit controlling the shift light to a mini speaker so a tone was emitted when it came on. Kind of like what some racing and rally cars have. Or am I being a geek? :clown:

Meg R26, Nissan 200sx S13
geek ;) just kidding, well if the light doesnt come on at the optimum time to change for the next gear, i dont really see the point in it!!

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Max torque is @ 5250
Maxpower is @ 6500

Green light comes on @ about 7k iirc, so revving up that extra 500rpm would be pointless

Edit: not sure abou the RSTuner thingy

?? Mine comes on about 66-6700, and lasts up to where the limiter kicks in.......which is about 7000 as you said.....hence my comment about peak power finishing......will have a play on a D/Cway later and see for certain when it comes on!

I'm intending to get as RSTuner in the coming months so will pose the question in the appropriate thread.....