ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Operation Unfeasible Silence

"Navy" N17 TWO

I know, and im sure everyone else knows, that the Clio has a 1 or 2 little rattles here, there and everywhere :p....

....the old Renault Clio had a rattle, E I E I O :p

Is there any way of getting rid of these :cry:"gremlins" in our door-cards, under the floor or in dash?

Any ideas/miracles would be fantastic

Trev

yes burn it. Ill tell u better than that. In the past 2 days, my gear stick gaitor surround has come off, and now the dash bit surrounding is is v v wobbly......

"Navy" N17 TWO

^^^know how you feel Ruth ^^^

my dash surrounding the gearstick and cup holders was loose, comming away from the main part of the dash housing of the climate control....

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1105544618__Dscf0501.jpg

took it to get it looked at - the guy popped my leather gear gaitor out and broke it - he couldnt of got out of the car quick enough that day :mad:

anyhow - replaced my std reno gaitor with a silver Simoni Racing 1 - real leather too, also got a silver gearknob with blue LEDs - looks the biz :D

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1107481413__DSCF0640.jpg

Will go well with my blue neons in my footwells when they go in next week with my sub/amp- cant wait ;)

way to stop everything rattling

remove it

alternatively

sound deaden all panels in the car (preferably two or more layers)

silicon sealant or weatrherseal all panels shut

or alternatively

but a non french car ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO

lol - reno and their famous plastic

how would silicon seal help with the panels?

it creates a felxible bond between the door card and body panel to absorb the vibration, therefore no rattles ;)

My car is nearly a year old and just got its first rattle :(

Oh well, first problem Ive had with it, so not too bad in comparison with others!!

LOL - Can just imagine my conversations in the car:

"WHAAAAAT??? CANT HEAR YOU..... OH YES...... ITS CHARACTERISTIC YOU KNOW!"

@ trevq: mate, how you gonna wire your neons up? I have two 10" strips from my old Clio but I dont want to have the thing sticking out of my fag lighter if possible...

Cheers.

Kot

"Navy" N17 TWO

Audio Advice is fitting mine when they set up my boot install

they are wiring them to what i asked for - on when doors open, on with interior light switch, and a kill switch for cleaning the car so the battery isnt draining.

going to add some light to the back and the boot for the sub and extra effect for rear of the car at a later stage. they said they would have to fit relays for putting extra lights in the back

Ill get pics up when its done - cant wait

"Navy" N17 TWO

OMG

just realised ive accidently attempted to hi-jack my own post :eek: TWICE :confused: :p

back on track

would tweeters shake at all?

most rattles and gremlins can only be discovered driving at town speeds, or when the vibes are blaring

no the tweeters should shake if they are installed properly

and yes, all gremlins come out once the engine is revved or the bass is up :(

its usually the dash grille for the tweeter that rattles like a goodun

doorcards will always rattle, unless you do the above, as they re just bolted to the metalwork of the door, never the best idea for build quality

rear co-ax could be anythinf from wiring to poor speaker

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I have a sort of rattle on my passenger door. It seems to be coming from the near the top and is sort of a thin plasticy rattling/crunching - The sort of sound you get if you scrunch plastic cake/pie packaging.

It comes and goes but its driving me mad!! It does stop if you push/pull the door tight. I tried looking at the door card and it does squeak a bit when you move it about but its a completely different sound. Any ideas what it could be or anyone had the same noise?

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

i get a rattling from my roof (cause the car is stiff and low and bumps cause it easily), any ideas? anything in there that could be vibrating?

"Navy" N17 TWO

you got a sunroof in that m8?

i get that plasticy rattling noise too - in both my doors :confused:

Nope no sunroof.

I think Ive figured that it is the door cards which are vibrating slightly, as they do give a fair old squeak when you push/pull at them, probably due to the previous owner removing them for a speaker install.

I gave it a good bash tonight to try and hold it down more securely which seems to have done the trick for now. Well, I didnt hear it tonight anyway.

"Navy" N17 TWO

sorry just noticed you in a 172 so you wouldnt have sunroof

aye the door cards do give a bit of a "guinea-pig" sound effect off them lol

wonder if we put something round the edge of the door cards, (where they come in contact with the actual door) would it help? - worth a try maybe

are they easily taken off/ put back on?

trevq - Yeah 5 minute job I believe. A few star bolts and a good tug.

Bryan - Ill give it a try cheers. Ive got to take them off again soon in any case.

"Navy" N17 TWO

how would you apply the silicon sealant? and does it just go around the edges of the door-cards? :confused:

once youve removed the doorcards, you will be able to see where they come into contact with the doors,, apply a small amount of silicon to the INSIDE edge of the contact point of the door card, you do not want any overspill

its a case of creating a damper for the vibrations, when you look at it, it will make sense

"Navy" N17 TWO

once this is done, are the cards easily taken off if you need access to the speakers/leccy windows?

nope, they will be a complete bugger to remove as the slilicon will act like a glue between the two contact points

to get to the speakers, remove the grille that covers them, for the electric windows, locks etcd, its a case of prising the two apart, i found a flat headed screwdriver round where you applied the silicon worked a treat