ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions needed...

Clio 172
Evening all

I'd be grateful for opinions or any past experience with my little issue.

So I picked up the 172 this weekend, it has been sitting under a cover for 3 years, with one trip to the mot station in March 2019. The guy who I bought it off fairly regularly started it up " to keep it running..." however the battery was knackered when I collected it. Once I got her started she was overcharging (17v) xmas tree on the dash etc etc. Disconnected the alternator all was fine.. cleaned up the battery live as it was a bit rusty, checked the earths and ran it up again. This time she was under charging... 11.2v to 12v.

I didn't have far to get it home so ran the gauntlet of charging the battery overnight, crossing all 12 fingers and making the dash home. It got 5 miles and died. Battery dead, it was obvious the alternator wasnt charging. It stunk and was giving off a bit of smoke. The alternator itself wasnt hot, no bearing noise, not seized

The car has done 69k, my point for debate is, would you chuck a new rectifier on? Or would you replace the whole unit? I'd be keen to see if anyone has had similar issues and if a new rectifier solved it?

Thanks in advance

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
these days I've given up with cheap fixes, for sake of what 180 quid i'd launch a new geniuine on it

does it not need belts too? roll it up with that job

Clio 172
Your right mate, and that's what I'll end up doing, I guess we get hung up on milage and expect things to last more than 70k! But when I think about it that alternator has been on the car from new (18 years) its date stamped.

Just looking on RPD's website now. £200

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I stuck a new one on mine at 120k, done 100k more since and still good so they will last

Clio 172
Can get the alterator rebuilt surely? Be under a ton.
I've had recon's before, they never last, Mr coops is right, by the time you get it rebuilt you may as well get a new one.. I was just interested if anyone had changed the rectifier and had good results.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Has it got the plastic guard behind the left side of the grill to protect the alternator?

Seen loads fail without them fitted. Usually allows excess rain water into the unit and f***s them.

I'd stick a new alternator and maybe repair the one you have to keep as a spare.