ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on this Private Collection 172 Please

Chevrolet Corvette
Hi guys,

I took a deposit on my Corvette tonight and it will likely be collected next weekend.

I'm looking at either a 172 or 182...as immaculate as possible with relevant history and low miles.

Ideally, I'd prefer a 182 as I like the dual exhaust and overall look. However, this 172 has really caught my eye and for the money, I'm very tempted:

Whilst I've owned a 197 back in 2007, my knowledge of the 172 is lacking, so I'd be grateful if those in the know could give me their honest opinion on this as an overall buying proposition.

It will be a second car but one I'd like to take on track (Nurburgring is my intention).

Thanks,

Martin

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I looks lovely, but dropping almost 7k and not being in a 172 phase 1, a 182, LY,PB,RB or a trophy just hurts my brain.

everyone has their own opinion, but most would say its not as desirable…

ask yourself which car has more value to more people with 100k on… it ain’t that one.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I looks lovely, but dropping almost 7k and not being in a 172 phase 1, a 182, LY,PB,RB or a trophy just hurts my brain.

everyone has their own opinion, but most would say its not as desirable…

ask yourself which car has more value to more people with 100k on… it ain’t that one.
True, but it's the way they will all go. Good 182/172 for under 5k these days is hard to find let along with 50k miles

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 is very well presented but I don’t see pictures or can’t read anything about any restoration work or the condition underneath. Now it could be that it’s been stored in space and it doesn’t need any work, so in that case I’d shout about it. These are 20 year old cars.

Have a look at one of the projects on here where the chap learned to weld while working on his 182. Look at some of the pictures he published. That’s indicative of a lot of 172/182’s now. A lot of people on here have done a lot of preventative work but so many haven’t, focussing only on the body and interior. You’ll see more and more projects over the coming years that deal purely with rot. I’ve seen with my own eyes a 182’s back end collapse on a circuit as the rear spring went through a chassis leg.

I once said “who says you can’t polish a turd” after I‘d cleaned up the exterior on mine and somebody on here remarked that you could “roll it in glitter” 😂

My 2pence worth.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
True, but it's the way they will all go. Good 182/172 for under 5k these days is hard to find let along with 50k miles

agreed.. id just try see if there’s any private sales out there with a more desirable model as your could drive the value out of that one in 30k.

you can’t drive the value out a LY… that’s the one box I wish was ticked on this one, but someone ticked BG..

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Looks immaculate, like a really really nice car.

Have you seen this one:

Location looked useful too.
Again, looks lovely, but it’s all body and interior. You’ve shown pics of yours underneath so many times on here. I bet if/when you come to sell it you’ll include those pictures.

Because if a seller hasn’t even been underneath it, then you can almost guarantee that car will need work. And as you know, it’s a shitty job if you’re doing it yourself.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
You certainly aren't wrong. However I wouldn't discount a car that didn't have pictures of the underside but I would insist on getting it up in the air for a very good looking over before parting with any money!

The blue 182 also has the very big advantage of being in Glasgow!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You certainly aren't wrong. However I wouldn't discount a car that didn't have pictures of the underside but I would insist on getting it up in the air for a very good looking over before parting with any money!

The blue 182 also has the very big advantage of being in Glasgow!
Yeah but I’d shout about it if it was spot on…just saying…

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
They both look nicely presented and listed well. Strong money aimed at a market for people who want a lower mileage car…basically someone who is going to lock it away for years. But neither are particularly desirable colours/variants.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
They both look nicely presented and listed well. Strong money aimed at a market for people who want a lower mileage car…basically someone who is going to lock it away for years. But neither are particularly desirable colours/variants.

locking cars like this away are the absolute worst investments… you won’t lose money, but you won’t make much if any..

You’ll make more buying in 5 years buying a few cars cheaper and selling for a profit.

like a car dealer.

car dealers make money.. buy low, sell high..

They always say “this one’s so good I might keep it” or “this one will only go up in value” but they always seem to sell them.. funny that.

Get it, use it, abuse it… just like the misses f@nny… don’t save it for the next guy, he’ll only tear it up like you should have.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
That blue one with 50k on it looks lovely but it doesn’t have the same appeal to me as a 172 cup, I’m not saying it’s bad it’s just nothing special to any future enthusiast if you are thinking of keeping it as an investment. The 182 is in a rather nice colour and I think the dual exhaust just makes it that bit more special to look at and the silver one is low mileage but the silver doesn’t pop like the other available colours, honestly when you own it you won’t be noticing the mileage as much as the overall look of the car,if they were my only choices and you held a gun to my face screaming make a decision pick one or die! I would take the 182 it’s just that bit nicer looking.

Last edited:
  Chevrolet Corvette
Thanks guys, much appreciated...always good to hear what you all think.

I noticed the silver 182 but it has some sort of engine issue through lack of use and needs recommissioned...not for me tbh.

Will continue to keep an eye out as I'm not in a huge rush to buy...although by Easter, I'd like to have something in the garage!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As nice as that looks, I’d want to see it in person before making my mind up. It could be an absolute bargain, or it could need £2/3k spending on the underneath.
these are very old cheaply built French hatchbacks and they’re very easy to make them look ‘mint’. A look on a ramp or at the very least some axle stands will sway you one way or another.

Chevrolet Corvette
As nice as that looks, I’d want to see it in person before making my mind up. It could be an absolute bargain, or it could need £2/3k spending on the underneath.
these are very old cheaply built French hatchbacks and they’re very easy to make them look ‘mint’. A look on a ramp or at the very least some axle stands will sway you one way or another.
Thanks Daniel.

A pity that it's in Swansea as a bit more planning will be required should I decide to have a closer look.

Is anyone familiar with the seller? Looks like a reputable company that sells quality vehicles to be fair.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks Daniel.

A pity that it's in Swansea as a bit more planning will be required should I decide to have a closer look.

Is anyone familiar with the seller? Looks like a reputable company that sells quality vehicles to be fair.
There’s bound to be a member on here that’s willing to go and see it on your behalf. They can even face time you to show you all the bits you want to see.
I’ve done it for several members in the past but Swansea is a fair trek for me. Sorry! 😂

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
A shame that 172 is so well presented to then have a rear wiper delete?

On a rear screen that gets caked in s**t the instant there's a bit of drizzle, let alone rain - I've never understood the inkling to get that done.

At least it would be a straight-forward retrofit to put back on, should you want to.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
A shame that 172 is so well presented to then have a rear wiper delete?

On a rear screen that gets caked in s**t the instant there's a bit of drizzle, let alone rain - I've never understood the inkling to get that done.

At least it would be a straight-forward retrofit to put back on, should you want to.
Yeah. Throw in the saggy drivers seat, aftermarket stereo, coolant that looks like water. Strong money imho. Just looks like it‘s been sprayed with that horrible valeters shite that smells like bubble-gum. Someone will buy it though I’m sure.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hi guys,

I took a deposit on my Corvette tonight and it will likely be collected next weekend.

I'm looking at either a 172 or 182...as immaculate as possible with relevant history and low miles.

Ideally, I'd prefer a 182 as I like the dual exhaust and overall look. However, this 172 has really caught my eye and for the money, I'm very tempted:

Whilst I've owned a 197 back in 2007, my knowledge of the 172 is lacking, so I'd be grateful if those in the know could give me their honest opinion on this as an overall buying proposition.

It will be a second car but one I'd like to take on track (Nurburgring is my intention).

Thanks,

Martin

MOT history isnt all that bad - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=GN03+OZS

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
I like the look of this one personally, don't think I've ever seen a better interior.
Yeah that’s defo been cared for, probably been used now and again as a weekend toy from new to look that good.

Chevrolet Corvette

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I may well go and view this one.
Yeah Scotland too, I'd definitely go and see that if it's not too far for you.
Slightly higher mileage and presumably in Scotland all it's life, so check for signs of corrosion obviously. It even has the proper cup splitter I think. Just needs some Michelin tyres and a steering wheel retrim and that would be perfect IMO.
Oh and the number plate screw covers if I'm being picky.

Chevrolet Corvette
Yeah Scotland too, I'd definitely go and see that if it's not too far for you.
Slightly higher mileage and presumably in Scotland all it's life, so check for signs of corrosion obviously. It even has the proper cup splitter I think. Just needs some Michelin tyres and a steering wheel retrim and that would be perfect IMO.
Oh and the number plate screw covers if I'm being picky.
Thanks for this. I know that given the age, this isn't exactly high mileage but it's the one thing putting me off a bit - just wish it was lower.

The seller said that he's reduced it from £7650 but has been made an offer of £6700 against the current £7k asking price.

I'm just not 100% on it.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for this. I know that given the age, this isn't exactly high mileage but it's the one thing putting me off a bit - just wish it was lower.

The seller said that he's reduced it from £7650 but has been made an offer of £6700 against the current £7k asking price.

I'm just not 100% on it.
This one's lower mileage and in a better colour but it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as that 62k one. And the price differential 😲 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209029355322

If you're not in a rush something will come along, but it always seems the one you're dead set on sells very quickly. Took me 2 years to find my RB. Good luck!

Chevrolet Corvette
This one's lower mileage and in a better colour but it doesn't look anywhere near as nice as that 62k one. And the price differential 😲 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209029355322

If you're not in a rush something will come along, but it always seems the one you're dead set on sells very quickly. Took me 2 years to find my RB. Good luck!
I'm actually in talks with the owner of this one! I think I'm highly likely to go for it if it doesn't sell beforehand!

On another note guys, I'm 6 foot 5 and plan to remove the driver's seat and fit a much lower bucket seat. I'm used to never really fitting properly in the standard bucket seats I've had over the years (Clio 197, Corsa VXR, Hyundai i20N, Abarth 595 etc.) so I really want to fit a taller 'proper' bucket seat this time.

I'm just not clear on what will fit...

I really like the look of something like this but is fitting straightforward?

Another consideration is whether this would be allowed on the Nurburgring as I've read some posts about the wrap around head protection not being allowed.

Thanks

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm actually in talks with the owner of this one! I think I'm highly likely to go for it if it doesn't sell beforehand!

On another note guys, I'm 6 foot 5 and plan to remove the driver's seat and fit a much lower bucket seat. I'm used to never really fitting properly in the standard bucket seats I've had over the years (Clio 197, Corsa VXR, Hyundai i20N, Abarth 595 etc.) so I really want to fit a taller 'proper' bucket seat this time.

I'm just not clear on what will fit...

I really like the look of something like this but is fitting straightforward?

Another consideration is whether this would be allowed on the Nurburgring as I've read some posts about the wrap around head protection not being allowed.

Thanks

I'm the same height and did struggle with the standard seats, but I did use it as standard for about a year as a daily haha.
I've got Recaro Trendlines with Jon Foz lowered subframes and I now fit fine. Has the benefit of nearly being OEM, as those seats were a very rare factory option.
Not the same level as a proper motorsport seat like you've linked, but work great for me for road use.

Chevrolet Corvette
I'm the same height and did struggle with the standard seats, but I did use it as standard for about a year as a daily haha.
I've got Recaro Trendlines with Jon Foz lowered subframes and I now fit fine. Has the benefit of nearly being OEM, as those seats were a very rare factory option.
Not the same level as a proper motorsport seat like you've linked, but work great for me for road use.
Lol I got my wife an Abarth 595 Comp, having owned one previously in 2014 - Sabelt buckets and overall driving position is a nightmare but the ones I've linked look like they're set much lower.

That said, I don't have a clue what will fit but whatever seat I go for, I would like more height behind me.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Lol I got my wife an Abarth 595 Comp, having owned one previously in 2014 - Sabelt buckets and overall driving position is a nightmare but the ones I've linked look like they're set much lower.

That said, I don't have a clue what will fit but whatever seat I go for, I would like more height behind me.
@JON FOZ is the man for fitting non-standard seats, believe he makes adapters so you can fit all kinds.
Definitely something to look into once you've bought one.

Chevrolet Corvette
@JON FOZ is the man for fitting non-standard seats, believe he makes adapters so you can fit all kinds.
Definitely something to look into once you've bought one.
Thanks for this, very helpful.

I'm thinking I might need to drive to England to access a greater selection on site. Is there anywhere in particular that has a large number in stock that you can try out?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for this, very helpful.

I'm thinking I might need to drive to England to access a greater selection on site. Is there anywhere in particular that has a large number in stock that you can try out?
I'm sure there's a place in/around Nottingham where you can try out seats, can't remember the name of the place though. Not something I've got experience with, I just followed the hype and bought the same seats everyone seems to put in.

Chevrolet Corvette
I'm sure there's a place in/around Nottingham where you can try out seats, can't remember the name of the place though. Not something I've got experience with, I just followed the hype and bought the same seats everyone seems to put in.
Thanks...I might end up doing the same thing. Time will tell 👌🏼

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
That's sports seats 4u 😄. The recaro CS will fit in a mk2 courtesy of some Jon Foz adaptors. @Louis and @frayz have the recaro pole position which mount pretty low too.