ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Optimal revs for 172 MK2

Black 182 + Recaros

Although I drive my 172 pretty quick, Ive never really pushed it very hard. I think the car has become very settled at about 5000 rpm. Pushing it harder has always felt like Im asking too much.

However I have started to push the revs higher and the car is starting to feel more responsive overall. What sort of revs is a good limit without thrashing the car to death.

The cars done about 16000 miles. Will driving harder help loosen things up.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

6500? i always push mine hard to be honest, it offten sees 7250rpm. They r built fot it! Remeber the real fun only happens at 5500rpm plus!

P

peterh2

The power seems to be between 5000 and 7000 on my 182. It seems to love being driven hard.

Use the gear change light to guide you when to change up, in all gears and as long as the engine is nicely warmed up it will love it.

I found that my old car performed at its best when driven for about an hour as per the above.

Be brave - it can take it!

Titanium 182

after 7k the power seems to drop off a touch

but i wouldnt worry about pushing it

nothing much happens until around 5k then it kicks off

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

172 engine is strong and the standard rev limit isnt really stressing it ... just that the power drops off after 6.8k so a higher limit would only give you slightly longer legs not anymore power. Personally once the car is warmed up (I hold it below 3.5k when cold ... or about 4k on m/way) ... Ill almost always take it to 6k in 1st and 2nd gated by the speed limit. When conditions allow and Im caning it, I aim to change at 6.9k.

Always disappointed to hear of 172s who dont get revd above 6k! ;)

I let my brother have a blast in mine, it was warmed up nicely and so I told him to just rev it so he did and his response was "Sh*T!" he then gave me a lecture on safe driving....over protective big brothers!! lol! :p

VaVa

about 6750 Ireckon.... although I do it more by feel than looking the revs. You can feel the power start to drop off by the time you get to 7000 rpm imho....

Thats a sorry tale, poor car not being able to stretch its legs, like a caged animal, and believe me it is an animal above 5k rpm. If there was an organisation, Id report you!! I loved driving my 172 at between 4500rpm and 7200rpm at whenever I could, plus great handling and it was FUN! FUN! FUN!!

Go on, you know you really want to give it a bit of revs! :D

I didnt think Id rev my 172 when I got it, but the first time I took it to 6.5k changed it all for me. TBH I dont drive it hard all that often, but youve got to give it what it needs, and this engine seems to love 6.5k revs!

Depends where im driving and what mood im in.

Normally take it up the the optimum change light when zipping up slip roads onto the motorway.

The one i use most often is a slip road ontot he m4, and its quite a steep incline. I love flying up that road, watching all the other cars struggle :D

Black 182 + Recaros

Love those long motorway slip roads. Probably not a good idea joining the motorway at 80/90 mph, especially when theres a huge truck sitting on the inside lane, as happened to me the other day. Great fun though.:D