ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange Branding? Samsung Omnia..Semi Rant..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had a samsung omnia through as a replacement from Orange and its a completely different phone to what my previous two omnia's were? Its now orange branded and i've lost a load of aps and also the menu's, front screen etc are completely different! Now with added crap like orange world and orange music.

I've called orange and they said they dont know of any changes? And that they'll send me another to see? I bet it comes through the same..But its not what i've bought or ever seen another omnia like? Even my original box shows how it was...

Now if it comes through the same what can i do? Bearing in mind its not that same as the phone i bought..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looking like they say there's nothing i can do..

Any ideas if you can get the branding removed? Tom? lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well the first was a screen prob and the second the alarm kept going off..

They have said i can have a Direct Model Replacement but with orange i really dont know what that would be. Cant see anything better on their site..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
my missus came without orange branding.
i was surprised she was going to send it back due to the battery but seems to have
sorted itself.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
So did my other two. Dont send it back...lol

It is a piece of s**t branded up.. I cant understand how they can hold me to it like this..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You should be able to load the Non orange rom on the device.

Im not suggesting its easy, but it should solve the issues

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It seems that orange randomly decide whether to send you out a branded or non branded phone as a replacement... in the past when i've recieved my upgrade and its been branded i've researced common faults for that particular phone, and then "caused" one, or claimed that it has one to get a replacement through, this normally does the trick, but if not just try asking for it without the orange branding on it when calling for your replacement?

Know how you feel though, orange world, orange music, FTL!

Broken Diesel Megane :(
never had a problem with my omnia, but i use a nokia 6300 slide as my daily phone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just noticed you asked on MOdaCo, which seems to have gone gay and banned roms.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well i've had another sent through today and its still branded. I've spoken to various people at Orange today with no joy. Even spoke to Managers who said theyd make detailed notes for when i call back and guess what...nope they havent! Just awaiting a call from another manager but i have the managers name i spoke too. Also spoke to two agents with no notes..So not happy there!!

As far as i'm concerned, i went into the a orange shop and checked a phone out which i liked, looked around it, menu's/features etc and took a contract out on it. Its now changed for the worse and some of the features i use have gone. The reason i chose this phone is for how it was and not this branded crap. If it was like this when i looked i wouldnt have had it. Simple. The box i have, manual etc is all for what i bought.

The last manager said i can have a direct model replacement but god knows wha that is. I just want a normal omnia!

Yes but its not what i bought or want. Would you care to suggest how i do this?
TBH I'm actually surprised you managed to get an unbranded phone in the first place. I thought Orange branded all their phones.

Regarding ROM updates I believe there are guides on the net, but I have no idea what the impact may be of doing this.

Best you can hope for is a contract cancellation and move to a provider that doesn't brand them.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
TBH I'm actually surprised you managed to get an unbranded phone in the first place. I thought Orange branded all their phones.

Regarding ROM updates I believe there are guides on the net, but I have no idea what the impact may be of doing this.

Best you can hope for is a contract cancellation and move to a provider that doesn't brand them.

Well from reading on the net it was agreed between Orange and Samsung that they wouldnt be branded. The must have changed but its def for the worst. Can they hold me to this phone even if its different to what i decided to take a contract on? Like i said, all manuals etc i have are for the samsung format. If i want to get anything off the net for it or change anything, all manuals are for the samsung format..

The orange rep did say try changing it myself but what if it goes wrong? Its then my fault for trying to get the phone back to what i agreed to purchase. Just seems silly to me..

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think orange do branded promos. Not sure exactly how orange operate their own phones (guessing its bought from orange) but when working at CPW, all of our phones were unbranded but sometimes we'd have special offer orange branded phones, which were norm a bit cheaper.

I know nokias can be de-branded pretty easily but not sure on samsungs.

Unless it explicitly says in your contract that you'd be given an unbranded phone, I don't think you can really do anything about it. I would have thought you'd get a branded one in the first place. Also as stock changes slightly here and there, I think general policy is to give you the equivalent phone which this is.

Do bear in mind, sometimes (I know nokias do) phones can keep a log of software changes, so it you changed it and it had a prob, you might void the warranty.