ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Origin B2 Question PLEASE!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Finally got my unit wired up last night, went for a quick sprint with it on, does the unit only tell you the speed limit when in the zone of a camera? The unit only seems to be displaying my travelling speed, not the limit on each road? is that right? or is it possible to turn this feature on? Can someone please clarify?

thanks,

Gaz

The unit only displays your current speed - it doesnt show the speed of the road unless theres a camera alert

Lee

BMW M2C

When I ordered mine I thought it would always tell me the speed limit of the road I was on also. I think they worded it in a slightly clever way on the adverts. LOL

I also thought it would give the road number also, not just when a camera is present.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Thing is, it only has "reference points" in teh data base, so if youre not in a "known location" how would it tell you the speed limit of very road?!?

If you think about it, it must have quite a small memory capacity as all it needs to store is:
Coordinates
Direction of camera
Speed limit

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 14 July 2004

When I ordered mine I thought it would always tell me the speed limit of the road I was on also. I think they worded it in a slightly clever way on the adverts. LOL

I also thought it would give the road number also, not just when a camera is present.
exactly what I am thinking, I think Origin have been clever with their wordings and advertising.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Thats the only thing that upset me when i fitted mine on sunday - i thought it displayed the speed limit on any road - thats the main reason i bought it.

Im sure they could add this feature quite easily.....think a email to origin is needed.......

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I dont think it IS that easy to add.

You would need more of a sat nav system to cover speed limits, rather than the B2.

Think about it, your position is a grid reference. So the B2 would have to know ALL roads, the directions they went, and the grid references of the start/end of the speedlimits etc.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 14 July 2004

You would need more of a sat nav system to cover speed limits, rather than the B2.

Think about it, your position is a grid reference. So the B2 would have to know ALL roads, the directions they went, and the grid references of the start/end of the speedlimits etc.
i agree, i dont think it would be that easy, but I think Orign have been very devious in not pointing out that the system only displays the limit in alert mode. I think it is quite a big selling point for the unit, which actually isnt there.

[Edited by Gaz2130 on 14 July 2004 at 10:48am]

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 14 July 2004

Well it sort of does......it knows where the cameras / blackspots are, the direction they are facing, the direction you are traveling and the road you are on.

The gps knows where you are so why carnt it display a symbol according to the limit on the origin ????

The origin can double up as a road map by using a palmtop to display the maps. You then have sat nav ?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The Origin only passes the GPS sat signal and nothing else to the PDA. The PDA then does its own analysis.

Put it this way, the db currently contains a certain amount of info for the cameras/blackspots.

Id guess at having to increase the memory by 10 fold if you were to log EVERY speedlimit, which wouldnt be possible.

I have to say that its not something that I ever thought it would do from the advertising I read before I got mine. I mustve got the right end of the stick for a change!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Well ill email them and ask if its possible........for a comission of course .....lol

Cocopops is right - it would need a MASSIVE database as there are so many locations where the speed limits change, and sometimes they are just very short distances apart. Maybe one of the manufacturers will get there one day.

Its not possible. Imagine how big the database would have to be, itd have to have EVERY single stretch of road in it.

It only knows the limit of the road where the camera is cus they check it when they check a location..

Anyway, you should know the limit of the road, heh.