ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ouch :(

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Driving in a busy road near work , turned a tight corner to be met with ( sorry about the hugeeeeeeeeeee picture)

1z5rl7b.jpg

This bollard was already in this state and iv turned left and its just ran along the side of my car sending it on 2 wheels , i maybe should have seen it but its a joke as to why it wasnt repaired or at least have a cone or something to warn people.

376804_10150937113330494_616545493_21722665_1890698357_n.jpg

Now left with this absolute mess on the side of my car , had a quote of around 800 pounds to repair and im only a 1st year apprentice and the cars only worth about 1300 :( What do yous recon is the solution :( Im writing to the council but i really cant see them paying out :(

defo the councils fault!!! they pay out for alot less and justified reasons, this seems totally viable. unlucky mate...

Clio 182 inferno
I reckon the council will pay out mate. Id be fuming!
Id put a case to them, you might be surprised. At the end of the day you dont expect a post to be hanging off the payment.
I reckon they will pay

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
I just didnt expect it i drive on that road everyday and with cars on the otherside of the road your always trying to keep a tight corner not expecting some ground level spear to mangle your car to bits haha !

White clique
Its the councils / highways agencies liability only once they have been made aware that it was in that state - so if that post got flattened 10 mins before then you hit it they are not liable.

I personally think the council will be OK about this and wont dick you about. If that is sticking out across the side of the road its a danger to cyclists for a start.

Transit & Death trap
I'd contact the council, in writing with pics and a written quotation from the bodyshop. To be honest, they'll probably be greatful you're only claiming for the bodywork damage and not compensation for any physical injuries you may or may not have recieved(whiplash, etc);)

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
When it happened i went into the shop next to it and asked the guy how long it had been that way , he sayed he thinks it happened on friday , as i drove by it again after work to show my pal , they had taken the post away. I s**t it when i heard the noise i thought id hit something or someone , just so unexpected.

Ph2 172
I wouldn't of seen it tbh! That's a bad deal.

The repair quote is cheaper than would have thought though.

Last edited:

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
How come there is tyre marks on the left of the post?

Never noticed that actually , from who ever has mowed it down i think , they look like massive tyres actually , as if a lorrie or somethings mowed it over.

Clio
Without a doubt the council are liable to pay for the damage it never should of been left like that especially without any sort of cone or something to make you aware really feel for you mate, I bet your gutted

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Aye when it first happened it didnt really get me that pissed off , now its been a day and im really pissed off , finsihign work and having to go round garages for quotes , ill go to a big dealership or something for a bigger quote for a claim , how much damage do you lot all think is there in money terms ?

Clio
To be honest 800 seems very steep to me, but I've only had experience with a body shop once when the missus ran the side of the car across a lamp post, very similar damage to yours only it was from the bottom right up to the window and it was a hell of a mess, had it beaten filled and resprayed for £250 and the job is spot on, but maybe that was just particularly cheap

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Its just made me fed up with the car now tbh :( with mot coming up i just feel like punting it and leasing/financing something cheap :(

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
are there any CCTV cameras in the area on the street, just so you have definite proof you hit that post?

Good idea, on the council form i printed off there is space for 2 witnesses ( along with a gay blank area where i had to draw a sketch of what went down) , i have my mate who was in the car at the time and as soon as it happened i asked the guy in the shop , so he can testify when it happened.

Black 172
A lorry has come along and crushed that post for sure.
Sorry to be the negative one but you can still see the lorry's tyre track on the ground, in water, that means the incident is fresh, maybe just a few minutes or hours old. They are only liable if they've had reasonable time to discover or been told about the problem.

A lorry has come along and crushed that post for sure.
Sorry to be the negative one but you can still see the lorry's tyre track on the ground, in water, that means the incident is fresh, maybe just a few minutes or hours old. They are only liable if they've had reasonable time to discover or been told about the problem.

This really.

You should have still seen it, which is what they'll say. As for the repair, I'd say £800 is cheap.

But you're an apprentice, you don't have a lot of money and really it's not worth paying £800 to fix it. So I'd just drive it like it is. If you were lucky enough to get £800 from the council, I'd probably put that into savings/holiday instead of fixing the car.

It still drives fine. It's just cosmetic. You'll just sell it cheap one day.

R27 191/500
A boy fell of his bike on a broken council Kerb and damaged my bumper the council paid out £800 with no problems no questions just a copy of the quote!

Alan1.2

ClioSport Club Member
  clio dynamique
Got a quote from the Renault dealer for 2100 to fix it ! If my claim gets payed , ill pap the car off cheap , take the say 500 id get for it , so 2600 , into another account and pay a newer car up , had a look at the new dynamiqe for 150 a month. Saying that if the claim isnt payed , which i expect , ill just have to drive it about.

Meant to add , they repaired the bollard around 2 or 3 hours later , so really they must have known pritty pronto.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 RS2
Feck! What a waste... a bit unlucky, could have been avoided if spotted.

Good luck claiming it at the Council.