ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Out of third gear on track

My clio 172-1 jumps out of 3rd gear on track. It happens mostly under heavy downhill braking.

All the engine and gearboxs mounts are powerflex-ed. The gearbox itself has just been completely revised. I am sure that the box itself isnt the problem.

Personally i think it has something to do with engine and box moving, but am not sure.

Do you guys have any idea?!?!

SQ5
Yes there is, and if gear box has just been done I imagine it was disconnected and reconnected.

It's the cheapest thing to try first.

SQ5
You need two people and it's a right arse! But it must be close as all gears I presume are fine to get into?

You need two people and it's a right arse! But it must be close as all gears I presume are fine to get into?

The gears are indeed fine tot get into.

But what is the best way to align the gear linkage? Do you have to put the gearstick in three, as much to the front as possible, and then tighten the bolts of the gear linkage under the car?

2003 Clio 172
Undo the screw connecting the rod coming from the shifter to the gearbox when it's in neutral.
Have someone sitting in the car move the shifter slightly, tighten the screw again. Undo, adjust slightly if needed and so on.
Now I'm not completely sure how'd you adjust it to get rid of your problem though..

172 Turbo
My box does similar on track, but mine grinds into 3rd, I've always wondered if it's me or the box though.

Can the bush at the bottom of the box cause selection issues?

Actually, that's not similar at all but I can't delete this

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Does the gear lever move backwards and forwards when coming on and off the throttle quickly in say fourth or second gear?
can you pull the engine backwards and forwards by heaving hard on the top of the engine, or better still from underneath with a lever bar, this will tell if engine mounts are slack/loose. Can you make it jump out of third gear by doing the same throttle on/ off, but not down hill?
Can you hold it in third gear with a light hand on the gear lever? How hard is it push back out of gear?
How far forward is the gear lever sitting when in third and first gears, it shouldn't be near the end of the available travel forward.
The plastic bush and circlip if its worn will normally effect slop in all gear selection but wont cause it to jump out.
I think the fact you can engage the 3rd gear normally, and get all the other gears as well eliminates the external linkage, and if no excessive engine/ gearbox movement noted, its looking internal. Hope not for you! If you are local run it by, I can have a look.
best regards mark
PS not sure when I might be back on clio sport for an answer etc.

I will do the tests this weekend.

I know for sure that its not internal. The gearbox is just completely revised and strengtened (and completely tested) by hollands best known clio cup gearbox mechanic (2500 euro job).

I am looking at solutions to keep the gear in place. Like a heavy gearknob or connected spring. Weird ideas?

How about other gearbox oil?

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Hello J E, back sooner than I thought
It cant be gear oil as it would show the same fault in other gears.
What has this man been doing for all that money, I am very interested. what is his name please I might know him from the past when we raced in Europe.
You cant put up with the fault when you have invested so much, a heavy gear knob might help selection/engagement but not stop it coming out.
An external spring will pull it out of the opposite gears.
How ever good we all might be, human error does happen, and components can fail.
I hope its sloppy mountings for your sake.
let me know what you find please.
regards mark

The gearbox was build in and out, the differential was strengtened and the also the housing. Besides that is has had a complete revision. First my car was equipped with an equal, but already modified en revised, gearbox. So not the one that originally came from my car. Then the problems with third gear appeared. So the mechanic decided to revise my own original gearbox, and put that one in. The problems in third were gone for 90% but a week ago on the nordschleife they came back one or two times. Very scary s**t i can tell you!

All my engine and gearbox mounts are brand new. I have the ktec uprated engine mount kit and the powerflex for the dogbone. Beacause the problems occur with two diffrent gearboxes i am pretty sure the problem isnt internal. Maybe adjusting the linkage makes most sense.

I really need to identify and solve the problem because its so dangerous when it pops out on track.