ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Over heating! Help!!

Renault clio mk2
Fingers crossed someone on here will be able to help me out. I've got a 1998 (R) 1.2 Clio Le Mans and basically it over heats.

So far I have changed the thermostat and changed the fan switch as the cooling fan wasnt starting. I know that the fan does work as Ive tested it by bridging the connection from the fan switch and the fan spun up fine.

The radiator is warming up at the top but not the bottom. The hose at the top gets very hot but the hose at the bottom is luke warm. Also the heater inside the car is not warming up. The hoses to that are cold when there is water bubbling over the expansion tank.

Now to me the next thing I would look at is the water pump. But im not to sure on the best way to test if this is working or not? Any ideas on that or and other possible cause will be greatly apprecieted as Im not to hot on the cooling systems!

Thanks

Oyster Card
Tried bleeding the rad, don't really know concering cars but if my house heater did that the first thing I'd do is blead it.

I think you should not drive your car at this moment.
Engine seal gasket? The mid one, not the one in between the inlet manifold.

It could just be the fan motor. I had the same problem last year with mine and everyone was telling me it was the head gasket, even the bloody mechanic at my garage said it. Then when I took it to another garage, they checked it out, fixed it and there was me grinning like a b*****d that I'd got 500 quid extra in my pocket. Did I shake the blokes hand after!

Down side to the story is that when I was driving it back, I got collared by a mobile camera as I was ahem trying to test it out to see if it would over heat again!

Get it checked out mate.

Renault clio mk2
Cheers Gazza,

I've already checked out the fan by taking the connection to the switch off and bridging it. Started taking it apart and found the water pump had failed. Got this replaced just got to test her now!!!