ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating ph2 172

Clio 172
Hi,

Weirdly tonight my clio decided to overheat, temperature gauge only hit half way and had smoke coming from the top hose.
The top hose is boiling hot and the bottom radiator hose is cold? Is this a faulty thermostat?
While driving I've noticed it gets to temp ok, but when I put the blowers on hot, the temperature gauge will drop. It's done it once before but I put this down to low coolant. I seem to loose coolant at a low rate, I top it up from min to max about once, maybe twice a month?

Thanks in advance

Paul

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
Sounds like thermostat
Get a genuine one from Renault parts direct

Clio 172
OK thanks, I'll get one on order now, I was panicking thinking you guys were going to tell me head gasket had gone :)

Clio 172
I had the opposite where it was over cooling new state and coolant sensor fixed it.Coolant sensor is about 20ish genuine part. @bloke does it sound like common problem

Should I just get both? I'm guessing either way I'll loose coolant so if I replace both and flush, refill with new coolant I should be good?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
Should I just get both? I'm guessing either way I'll loose coolant so if I replace both and flush, refill with new coolant I should be good?
hi i would to be safe if you ring them they should give some discount aswell mate

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Change the stat first. It seems its sticking and not circulating the water. That and between the stat and the pump its far cheaper to replace the former. That may also be the reason the gauge isnt working properly and the heaters are crappy.

Do this first.