ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating problem - fan issue

MK1 Clio Versailles
Well my car passed the MOT today which I was chuffed with, so now onto the next repair job.

The fan doesn't cut in say when stuck in traffic and I had one nasty overheating incident when in a long jam. Whereever I travel now, if I'm stuck for 15 minutes or more in slow traffic, I get close to overheating.

carfan.jpg

Problem is I have no temperatue guauge (it's the shitty low model) and only the light comes on warning you that you should turn the engine off etc.

Now we had a look and the fan was slighty stiff (evidently hadn't been working for a while when I had it).

I've loosened it up, and let the car run for around 15/20 minutes and didn't get it to overheat let alone the fan run.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Would I need a new fan or could it be the leads?

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
I would think your fan motor has seized if it was stiff at first. Go to the local scrap yard and take one from another Clio and try it.

do what i have done in mine.... bypass the switch and have a switch tucked away somewere and turn the fan on and off when you want it to... works a treat

james

Lots of Alfas
JamesB said:
do what i have done in mine.... bypass the switch and have a switch tucked away somewere and turn the fan on and off when you want it to... works a treat

james

Some Clios actually have this as standard (although its not intentional!!). On some mk2ph1s if you hold both the elec window buttons in the up position (with the windows already up and the engine already warm) it causes the temp gauge to rise :S , tricking the fan into coming on.