ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating problem.

'55 CUP 182
Hopefully you guys/gals can help!

I have a MK1 1991 (J) with a P reg 1.4RN engine, the other day whilst coming home from work I noticed the temperature needle was creeping its way up the gauge. It usually sits just above half way but it was just over the 3/4 mark when I pulled onto my drive. After leaving the car running for another 10mins the pressure cap on the reservoir popped and steam was bellowing everywhere! (Not a pretty sight at all!)

I have checked a few things and some people have suggested it may be the head gasket but im not too sure on this.

I still get heat in the car from the heater and there is no mayonnaise forming on the oil cap at all, the radiator water was a mucky brown colour and really did smell disgusting. When the car is cool and running there is no excess smoke or steam coming from anywhere so I am really stuck as to what this could be?

The one thought I had is maybe it could be the fan motor as I didn’t hear or see it kick in at all whilst it was parked on my drive just before it popped!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as at the moment im stuck driving my other half’s 106 diesel :(

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

Looking for a ph-quick...
Could be the thermostat dude, check the wiring and you need to test the fan somehow, if it didnt kick in could be either,
Fan switch
Thermostat - not reading the temperature properly and telling the fan to cut in

i may be wrong but thats a Good place to start though.

Amir

'55 CUP 182
Hey, quick update...

Ive checked the thermostat and it is working fine, I replace the fan switch but the fan is still not kicking in? Also I am now getting no heating in the car and there is a light mist coming out of the exhaust. The radiator hose at the top is cool but the one at the bottom is very hot.

I have flushed the system and renewed the coolant to no avail. I really am stumped!

Headgasket maybe?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you checked the water pump? Mine went a few months back had similar sorts of problems! Also broke the thermostat so replaced both and was fine after!

Good Luck

RS mk2 172
My money is on the thermostat. Dont check it, replace it as they are pennies.

As for the fan ,bridge out the two wires on the loom going to the fan thermo switch and this should activate the fan (ign on). Failing that check for voltage and continuity and of course nearly forgot ....the fuse.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Without stating the obvious , have you checked your fan belt , is it tight enough .Or maybe you have an air lock , i had one in my pug 306 and it used to get hot very quickly . Run the engine with the top off the coolant reservoir / radiator .

Sounds like the coolant has seen better days , flush the radiator and refill with new coolant as well .

renault1
just been checking thru posts,i have similar problem,radiator flushed,engine flushed,heater matrix flushed,new thermostat and new temp sender fitted, radiator fan still not kicking in (checked fan its ok)no real heat inside cabin of car i'm at a loss what to do next any help greatly appreciated

rad fan might be fucked

IMO it was a f**king stupid thing to do to let it get hot enough to blow the pressure cap, quite possibly fucked the head gasket doing that, esp if you now have steam coming from exhaust.

With car running check in the header tank that tehre is water flowing around, you shoudl see it returning to the header tank, if not check for blockages in things like the rad, check water pump isn't leaking and is actually turening and that aux belt is turning it ok