ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paddy's Valver - Project Leave it the F*ck Alone

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Ok it's a shameless copy & paste from my project threads on other forums but I feel it deserves to be shared on here, in full and from the beginning 8)

A brief history of the car to begin with. I bought her in February 2007, a bit rough & tatty round the edges but the intention was always to restore & improve the old girl

Valvaside.jpg

Myvalver.jpg

Mine.jpg

So she started as being a bit dodgy to drive, rusty arches, the engine bounced all over the shop, tracking & balancing not too clever & being waaaayy tooo low, had a lovely supersprint manifold fitted but a god awful, massive & chavtastic exhaust fitted :evil:

Cause of the engine bouncing all over the place
MyOlddogbone.jpg

So replaced with a new 1 and eventually this

Mynewdogbone.jpg

And to demonstrate how low it was

Crimbolow.jpg

Next on the list was a complete overhaul of the braking system. So I got new discs & pads all round, a full set of goodrige brake hoses and some spanking new front calipers that I painted yellow 8)

Image010-1.jpg

Yellowbrakes-1.jpg

Then I aquired this little beastie............very very long story about this 1 which I'll happily share with you at meets

Mywidearchvalva.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image005.jpg

Mechanically this thing was brand new, so it was stripped for all it's brand new good parts to go onto mine and the daft body kit was chopped off & sold to some yoof from Manchester with a 1.2 :lol:
So on went brand new std front shocks with 30mm eibach springs, new wishbones, DeCarbon rear shocks from the clio cup race cars - great for some epic lift off oversteer action :twisted: brand new steering column, leather interior, much nicer steering wheel instead of the awful looking thing with the airbag in it, decent speakers (bought my own head unit) and the nice shiney gearknob & bits around it. Magnex exhaust & custom de-cat at the time it had to be custom made as the pipes I had didn't fit together with each other but I later discovered that the supersprint manifold & downpipe were williams fitment and not for the valver. Then there was the full set of samco hoses :D

IMG_2005.jpg

I also had a brand new steering rack that I left attached to the subframe I removed, but on the day I came to fit it I found that the subframe had been nicked from behind my shed :evil:

So towards the end of 2007 I'd got the car mechanically tip top & started to save up for the respray

Then came February 4th 2008, whilst blasting along a country lane at high speed the back end stepped out on me :affraid: but I over corrected it & she snapped the other way and I went up a kerb sideways, span between 2 concrete posts then clipped a post with the N/S rear quarter.
This was the damage

Bent drivers side sill
Silldamage.jpg

Smashed rear light cluster, bumper & wing

NSQtrdamage.jpg

Plus 3 f**ked tyres, 3 bent shock absorbers, both wishbone ball joints, 1 track rod end, 1 bent hub & 2 pairs of pants

So some of the saved money had to be spent to fix all that :cry:

In the month following the bump I started buying parts, 1st was a rust free tailgate to replace my rotten 1 and in 1 big trip down south to 2 people I came home with a pair of rust free doors, ph1 wing mirrors, 2 cats that I later weighed in & made £80 profit :D magnecor HT leads, RSi side skirts and these beauties

Wilwoods-1.jpg

Wilwood Dynalite 4 pots :twisted: As you can see they got fitted straight away & I've loved them ever since

I also got from other people, a full set of wheels to refurb, new front & rear bumpers and a williams boot spoiler

Then we come to the end of May & in she goes for the full respray

door.jpg

boot.jpg

1bonnetapillar.jpg

roof.jpg

Old damaged sill & rusty arch cut out & new metal welded in

sillwelded.jpg

OSArch.jpg

The battered N/S rear quarter chopped away & replaced with new metal

NSarch.jpg

And she's coming together

2bonnetapillar.jpg

Here's some of the wheel that I refurbed myself while the car was being done

Wheelspreppd.jpg

Wheelsprimed.jpg

Wheelpartpaint.jpg

Wheelsdone.jpg

Then they were wrapped in fresh Yokohama Parada spec2 tyres

Then came the glorious day, Saturday 23rd August 2008, my car was ready & I picked her up :heart:

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

5th November 2008

Just over 2 months since getting the car minty mint & exactly how I wanted it, disaster strikes. I got hit by this corsa that hit a kerb, flipped over a crash barrier off a dual carriageway & down 30 odd feet onto the downhill sliproad that I was on :affraid:

Image008.jpg

It's not very clear but the dual carriageway he came off is at the top of the picture moving towards the middle

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

He walked away from this with cuts & bruises :shock:

The damage done to my baby :cry:

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

What happened was the rear axle of the corsa was ripped off & hit me in the back of the head via the B-Pillar which the impact also creased the roof

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

Patched up with spare window & parcel tape

Image028.jpg

Image027.jpg

So back she goes to the bodyshop who sorted her 1st time round

Image040.jpg

Image039.jpg

Image042.jpg

Image041.jpg

And got her back on Christmas Eve :D

Some before & after pics of the damage & repair

IMG_2189.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg

Image028.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg

The best Christmas present I ever got that year :D

Here's a few pics from February of that year, on my driveway before the 1st problem of the year happened

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

Clutch cable failure :evil: after trying & failing to fix it I took it to the garage I used :oops: turns out it was that my clutch had died, so out she came for new clutch & I had the cam belt done while it was out

Image056.jpg

Image057.jpg

Image058.jpg

Then followed 3 months happy thrashing until the gearbox started making ominous noises :scratch: It was at this point I found for sale a rebuilt 1.8 engine with some cams in it and a refurbed gearbox, so I bought them asap along with a ton of other goodies. Then calmed down & started sorting out money for my holiday to Thailand

I decided to do the swap on the 1st weekend of August and since the weather was predicted to be s**t, I bought myself this gazebo :D and in typical Renault fashion my gearbox completely died on the way back from collecting the gazebo :x but luckily a nice chap in a vauxhall frontera stopped & offered me a tow home so I could get it sorted :D

Image119.jpg
8)

To add to the goodies, I decided to go to manual steering.

So on with the engine removal

Image120.jpg

Once she was out, I cracked on with fitting the new goodies
  • Manual rack & column
    Powerflex inner & outer ARB bushes - what a c*nt they are to fit :lol:
    PTFE inlet manifold gasket
    PTFE throttle body gasket
    PTFE rocker cover gasket
    R19 mount
    Cup dogbone mount
    Standard airbox
    ITG filter - cheers midge :D
    New gearbox
    new battery
    Loom
I did take some pics but seem to have lost them :oops:

Since this was the 1st time I've removed an engine & had to put it back in I took my time & eventually ran out of it & had to go back to work, sponging lifts and using the scum shuttle :x
So 5 days later, with 4 days off work I got cracking & got it all back together and running :wav:

BUT.........it wouldn't go anywhere :shock: the clutch wasn't disengaging so I couldn't drive it anywhere :crybaby:
So after much head scratching, forum whoring & having to use the scum shuttle for work again, a possible solution was suggested.........genuine clutch cable, supplied brand new courtesy of coops 8) Also spoke to the legendary MickPM who told me how to fit it properly. Got it fitted and still had the same problem even after re-setting the ratchet god knows how many times :x
Back on the phone to mick, he told me to measure how much the clutch fork was moving to diagnose the problem. So I enlisted the help of my housemates Mrs to work the clutch while I measured the clutch fork. The fork only moved 14mm so it meant that the ratchet mechanism was fooked.
So new clutch pedal ordered from renault, 4 day wait for it to arrive due to the bank holiday and a further 3 days to wait because of work :roll: I got Mick to come & fit it for me as I didn't have a clue how to do it :oops:
Got it fitted all nice & tight despite all the swearing from Mick while he was upside down in the footwell :lol: ratchet reset with a lovely 21mm of travel in the clutch fork, started her up & it had made precisely f**k all difference :shock:

So after muchos head scratching, swearing & ratchet resetting, Mick, being the legend that he is 8) got onto the phone to valeo & LUK about the clutch itself. After an hour on the phone it turned out that I had been supplied with & fitted the wrong clutch. Phoned GSF, managed not to swear or threaten mass murder & got them to get me the right clutch. I cleared up for the day & left it till the morning.

Got myself a good nights kip, decent breakfast - 4 weetabix :twisted: and got cracking with removing the engine
Image120.jpg

same scene just that the gazebo wasn't up as the weather was good :D

Managed to get the engine out in just over 3 hours (had a tea break) which I was well impressed with :D only 1 snag, I forgot to disconnect the speedo cable & completely f****ed it :oops: nevermind.
Got the box off along with the clutch, tidied up & waited for my other housemate to come home from work to take me back to GSF to get the right clutch.
Got to the shop & compared the clutch I removed to the new 1 they ordered in and they were completely different. The 1st clutch they gave me had a thicker friction plate and pressure plate, they reckon someone put that particular clutch in the wrong box.

So went home, put the glad rags back on & got on with putting it all back together. While I was at it I decided that the wiring loom looked a right mess so stripped all the old manky tape & plastic off and wrapped it up nice & neat with some fresh new electrical tape. Got it all ready to go back in & called it a night to go get pissed with my housemates.
Woke up feeling rough, but a fryup & lots of lucozade sport sorted me out & I got busy. Spent all day getting the engine back in and as it was getting dark she was ready to be fired up. She fired up 1st time, so I nervously got ready to see if I could disengage the cluch and lo & behold it worked perfectly!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I still had a few bits to do before I could drive her but I left it for the night & got completely trollied :twisted: Forgetting that Harry was coming round at 8am to get an engine mount off me :shock: It was not a pretty sight & I'm sure Harry will confirm it :lol:

So I went back to bed & got up later to finish it off. Coolant in, bumper on, back on the deck & ready to rock & roll :twisted:
Was at this point I got to find the teething problems, battery light on, exhaust blowing, discovering I fitted the wrong rubber a the bottom of the column, no speedo, oil pressure a constant 5 bar even before the engine was started, seemed quite slow as though it wasn't getting full throttle :? but it drove & I was seriously in love with manual steering and the car again after having spent a month without her & having no ides what was causing all the trouble.

Unfortunately a few days later, on my way to work, it died on me :x turns out the new alternator on the engine was fooked. So I had to jump start it & dump it at my mates house just round the corner from where it died. Got a lift into work & had to get the scum shuttle home in the morning........again :roll:
I then scavenged the alternator off my old engine, got a lift off my dad (boost FTW :twisted: ) & swapped it over on the street 8)
It was at this point I started to notice the patch of oil being left wherever my car had been parked :(

I eventually got & fitted a matbrown special speedo cable and removed the steering column as I fitted the rubber gaitors wrong :oops: so now that's all sorted.

Now the oil leak is the main problem & I strongly suspect it's the oil seal behind the fly wheel that's at fault, so the engine is coming out again very soon :roll:

Petrol Blue 182.
awsome read buddy! looks mint, talk about being in the wrong place and the wrong time with that corsa! :(

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
as ive said before. love it. sure i recognize some parts on that..

:lolup: tell me about it, I only came to yours for 1 part & ended up with a van full of stuff :rasp:

Nice to see it all in one thread mate. Having some time of it though arent you?

Meh, it's easy to sort now 3 hours maybe less to whip the engine out, probably do it quicker next time if there's no filthy 6th formers walkin past my house to stop & chat :evil:

Last edited:

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Fantastic read that.

I wish I had the time, money and skills to do a rebuild like that.

Id have probably broken it after the first problem!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
It takes dedication and the knowledge that it's not really that expensive, the only major expense other than buying it was the respray as I haven't got the skills to do that.

After the crash I got it fixed & still had a healthy profit left from the insurance payout ;) so that paid for the clutch & massive service to be done, but now I've gained the confidence & the skills to do it all again on my own making it super cheap as well :approve:

TBH I ended up buying the new engine & box as some previous dithering meant I missed out on buying a valver with a 172 lump in it & I decided I wasn't gonna miss out on it.

The best thing about it for me is that it's pretty much a brand new car for a fraction of the cost

Golf V6 4Motion
LOL

Dedication - lying in bed sayin ya can't be ar5sed, i'll do it tomorrow, i want bacon!

3 hours - Mmmm

Skills? lol thats why its always broke cus u keep working on it!

Brand new cars tend to have no rattles, no knocks, no leaks and luxuries such as remote central locking that works, power steering, etc.! o and engines that dont cut out!!

You do type some sh1t at that time in the morning! :)

Still, it looks nice and clean. Get MatB to get your rims blingin mate, will make a massive difference in the flesh.

(Try and reply to this without saying something about my tank, the people who usually drive them, or how much it weighs!!)

Black Clio GT
stunning car, know how annoying it is taking engine in and out, think i did mine about 5 times, once was just to clean it though, which i dont think i would do again lol

Mk1 F4R
Car looks good now its done up, shame on the rest of it bit of bad luck
wot happend to the blue 16v it didnt turn into a v6 did it lol

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
LOL

Dedication - lying in bed sayin ya can't be ar5sed, i'll do it tomorrow, i want bacon!

3 hours - Mmmm

Skills? lol thats why its always broke cus u keep working on it!

Brand new cars tend to have no rattles, no knocks, no leaks and luxuries such as remote central locking that works, power steering, etc.! o and engines that dont cut out!!

You do type some sh1t at that time in the morning! :)

Still, it looks nice and clean. Get MatB to get your rims blingin mate, will make a massive difference in the flesh.

(Try and reply to this without saying something about my tank, the people who usually drive them, or how much it weighs!!)

Your mum! ;)

Car looks good now its done up, shame on the rest of it bit of bad luck
wot happend to the blue 16v it didnt turn into a v6 did it lol

It got chopped up with a stihl saw then chucked onto the back of a pikey scrap mans wagon, it used to belong to the chap I quoted above :clown:

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
More of an ASW post than an update, but an update all the same :D

So next week the engine has to come out to be fixed :roll: Unfortunately I now have no protection from darkness & crap weather as I had to abandon the gazebo of love at Santa Pod :( So I got busy with a tape measure in a haphazard sort of way, to see if I could get my car into the garage and have room to work on it.

From the measurements it seemed possible so I set about clearing the garage of all the crap the me & my housemates dumped in there over the past year

This little lot was from NYE & taking it to the bottle bank was fun as it filled the front & back of my car from the floor to the roof
Image144.jpg

I would have pissed myself if I got stopped by the Po Po as the car fcukin stinks of beer :rasp:

Anyway, garage was cleared of all the crap and here's the result

Image153.jpg
:D

It does fit and although there's not much, there's enough room to get around & be able to work on it so the real fun begins on Thursday 4th March

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Just a quick post to show what I got up to last week, made a start on the thursday afternoon

Image167.jpg

Image157.jpg

Subframe off to sort the bits on it later

Image165.jpg

Engine out.....................again :rolleyes:
Image158.jpg

And how she was sat on thursday night

Image163.jpg

Image164.jpg

Fitted a lovely 5th engine mount, supplied by f0xy :cool:

Image170.jpg

Had to slightly modify that hole with a file but it fits spot on & it's all good :D Made an amazing difference to how the car drives, the engine is properly rock solid, the only downside is that it exposes french car interior build quality :rasp: but who really cares about that?

So the horrible leak is fixed and she's getting some new tyres and the tracking done next week :D

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Project title fail! :eek: Well overdue an update

Now since all those fun & games, I added a few more goodies in preparation for my 1st ever track day at Castle Combe :cool:

volvocc020710198.jpg

I fitted some bucket seats, 3 point harnesses, 13 row oil cooler & some used R888's

Now the latest with the car, thanks to the help of the legendary sideways danny from here http://www.519automotive.co.uk/ (and the traders section on here ;) ) these lovely 48mm things will be going onto the car :D

sideways danny said:
Paddy managed to source some very cheap jenvey throttle bodies recently. The first issue being they were a different mounting bolt pattern.

So yesterday I got my hands on the bits and set about a bit of re-engineering

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

so now we have bodies bolted on the manifold

IMAG0219.jpg

And just need to do some matching as they're a little bigger than the manifold

:)
IMAG0217.jpg

MK1 Clio, Mk4 Polo
OMG THEY ARE AWESOME!!! THIS CAR IS AWESOME :D I LOVE IT :D

just one question why a valver?? not a Williams??

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
OMG THEY ARE AWESOME!!! THIS CAR IS AWESOME :D I LOVE IT :D

just one question why a valver?? not a Williams??

The williams wasn't good enough for how much extra it would've cost me to insure when I bought it, plus I've made this car my own & unique now, you can't really do that with a williams imo

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
In response to recent Mk1 activity in here I've decided a complete ASW update is required :D

They're coming together & I wanted to see what they looked like fitted to a head

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

I fcuking love these 2 pics :cool:

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

The words I'd use to describe them are OM,

NOM,

NOM

and NOM :approve: