ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint flake?

182 Trophy #196
Hi,

I washed my car and it looks as if where the birds have sh*t there is now paint flake!

What options do I have to repair this?

I've included a picture to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks in Advance

b43b6f29.gif

Renault Clio 200
I'm afraid that's burnt through the lacquer buddy so a respray is the only option - if its only a stain then a polish with a rotary machine should remove it

RS6 C7
maybe a wet sand and buff would make it blend better but best to ask someone who knows about these things, try some of the detailing guides on here and then PM the people who post them :)

182 Trophy #196
Thanks for the replys.

So touch up wouldnt be enough? I've got about three areas with this, all the same size. I know it's a long shot but any ideas on averages costs for this sort of thing?

Thanks again.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It needs resprayed, from a professional pov it looks like it's been painted badly before (I can guarantee this) You can see that "mottle" look on the paint even in the picture.

Simply a case of a poor paintjob possible smart repair. Either way it needs repainted by a decent bodyshop or you'll just make it a lot worse.

Oh and who the feck suggested wet sanding it! To tear the lacquer back further? Ridiculous suggestion to give and potentially causing the owner more grief.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
In Gally we trust!

iv never once seen bird crap doing this. is it common?/ how long would that crap been on the paint.

182 Trophy #196
Well I think it was Bird crap, it was on my car for two weeks while I went to Thailand but I wonder if it was because I pressure washed too close to the paintwork?

Clio 172 RS2
Get a quote at a bodyshop asap...

Eying it is Metallic, spot repair might be out of the question.
Depending on placement, some whole panel have to be repainted.

I suggest putting a protective intercoat over the patches.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
maybe a wet sand and buff would make it blend better but best to ask someone who knows about these things, try some of the detailing guides on here and then PM the people who post them :)

wet sanding would more than likely cut through the basecoat to , revealing whatever may be underneath the paint.. ie primer, shiny panel etc... then if that doesnt cut through then machine polishing it back up almost certainly will

Bird turd hasnt caused that, its poor adhesion, a poor spray job as stated above. Unless of course you have had the pressure washer like up close and personal on water pistol from hell mode hehe. The whole item (cant tell what it is) will need stripping right back to bare and respraying. The paint generally looks like its crinkling and pealing, which means it moving about on top of the panel, again poor adhesion.

There are a number of reasons why this can happen, but what can happen is the water based paint isnt ovened for long enough to get the water out, thus water in between the base coat and the clear coat, with only one way out.........blisters then paint flake.

If its small - medium sized, removable ill do you a quote for a full strip and repaint if you want PM me.

Cheers,
Si

Last edited:
  GTD, Lupo
Well I think it was Bird crap, it was on my car for two weeks while I went to Thailand but I wonder if it was because I pressure washed too close to the paintwork?

Yes!, but you would expect to see more lifted lacquer with air under it. IO done this on my old Golf years ago and i have avoided pressure washes ever since.