ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint Lacre

Renault Clio S
My wing mirrors are losing their lacer and I wondered if there’s anything that can be used to completely strip/remove it and then replace, or will I have to start from scratch and sand the covers down, re-spray and re-lacre?

f7r turbo, 172, 1.6
well i wouldnt advise thinners as the mirrors are plastic,

so i would get some p800 wet n dry and rub them done and paint them again

Clio 172 RS2
-CUT- I have to start from scratch and sand the covers down, re-spray and re-lacre?

You gave the answers yourselves.

Sand them down (after degreasing and getting rid of any silicons)

Coat of primer

Fine sand it

Coats of colour

Coats of clear laquer!

Renault Clio S
OK, thanks.

Once you have re-sprayed, do you cut back with a polish before applying the lacre?

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
OK, thanks.

Once you have re-sprayed, do you cut back with a polish before applying the lacre?

NO...

Dont get any runs etc.. if you do, flatten them with fine wet&dry carefully. Wipe the paint with 'spirit wipe' to remove silicons and dust etc prior to laquering. iirc.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
^ Actually he wouldnt need the commer.

Lacquer and anthracite

Back on topic. Yes, you'll need to do it from scratch as the paint will have probably faded as well