ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint repair reccomendations.. (chipped r26 content)

340i
Hi guys,

I am looking for somewhere to repair the door on my r26, ideally in the Derbyshire area.

The edge of the drivers side door has suffered a chip (really cannot think when / how this happened), it was noticed on Sunday :(

A few photos of the damage, the door is completely straight, no visible dent, but the paint has peeled off:

e8be7f34.gif

17ef3dea.gif

Can anybody recommend any advice and or body-shop who can repair the damage?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nasty, to do the job right, you're really painting the front door and blending the quarter panel. If someone says they'll match that colour edge to a good standard tell them I have a job opportunity for them we wouldn't in my bodyshop and we have one of the best colour libraries in Britain.

Otherwise it's a touch up pen job but kind hard due to how it's coming off. :(

340i
Nasty, to do the job right, you're really painting the front door and blending the quarter panel. If someone says they'll match that colour edge to a good standard tell them I have a job opportunity for them we wouldn't in my bodyshop and we have one of the best colour libraries in Britain.

Otherwise it's a touch up pen job but kind hard due to how it's coming off. :(

Exactly what the guy said in a body shop yesterday... Damn :(

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
id say 230ish.

Could get it done cheaper but normally there is a reason why its cheaper.. or you cuold pay alot more depending where you went

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It depends on hourly rate.

At £30 per hour i'd be looking at around £250 ish (maybe a little less) + vat.

Chipmaster in my village, Gray. He's usually cheap and good at what he does. See what he quotes?

(cost me £30-35 for the three spoilers that i've had sprayed at his place)

340i
It's such an awkward place where the paint has chipped off... I am more concerned as its gone down to bare metal :(

CBR1K, F21 125D
Makes no odds on what needs to be done, bare metal or primer.

Same amount of work.

I would be expecting to pay £200+ for a decent blend.

inferno 182.
if you have bare metal exposed you need to get it done like now as with the weather how it is your going to get rust!
leave it and the repair will become more expensive!!
Gally is around the mark with price as we would charge around this price! make sure your price includes removing door handle annd mirror etc as this is how it could be done more cheaply but could cause probs later with flaking paint etc!
touch up isnt really an option as silver isnt the best match and even if it is good when you touch up silver tends to dry dark! my opinion would be to get done soon and ask lots of questions when getting your quote regarding stripping parts and check properly when you collect the car!
Makes no odds on what needs to be done, bare metal or primer.

Same amount of work.

I would be expecting to pay £200+ for a decent blend.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
if you have bare metal exposed you need to get it done like now as with the weather how it is your going to get rust!
leave it and the repair will become more expensive!!

It won't rust. The meggy, like all the other Renault range, is properly galvanised.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I reckon a billy with a buffer went at that causing it I reckon, guy round your way goes by the name of Russ! lol. attacks cars with stuff called crystal'd rock

If you're not wanting to pay for a proper respray then I'd say work in some touch up very lightly, not with the brushes they supply it with to get a light covering. Once dried cover it with the clear lacquer to keep it sealed until you do decide to respray it

340i
LOL.... Russ will love you for that ;)

I've got a proper Renault touch up kit for the car, so could try and use that.... (god that sounds do pikey!)

It's not ideal having the whole door repainted at this time of year, Christmas £££££ lol :(

inferno 182.
why oh why do i bother?????? only the surface is galvanised! if you get a chip for example on your bonnet it will rust and paint warranty is null and void! chips down the drivers door allso wont be covered if it rusts!also if the door has been replaced! but what would i know???:quiet:
It won't rust. The meggy, like all the other Renault range, is properly galvanised.

inferno 182.
just had another look at the pictures! very hard to tell but the colour showing through looks like the primer a new door comes in??? also theres a build up of lacquer on the edge so it may have had a door? if not prepped properly arround the edge of the door the paint will flake of which is what it looks like its doing? hard to tell in the pics!!! just take it to a bodyshop and ask there opinion and ask these questions mate!!! wont cost you anything and then you will know what your dealing with!!!! or touch it up and get in the passengerside and your never see it!!!!;)
The surface of the protection looks fine from the pictures.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Loud noises.

Any way, I'd leave it until after Christmas and you've got some cash. I'd bet my life on it not rusting.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Mate for a "bodyshop supervisor" you don't come across well. Unlike me not everyone knows the ins and outs of painting ect.

Gray was simply looking for advice. I've seen a few of your posts and you don't across great dude. You can be helpful without being rude.

I'll be back soon as my pot and kettle have just boiled.

The way it looks leads me to think it may have been poorly sprayed at one point, it doesn't look like damage to me, more like poor prepping. I could be wrong though, can never really tell properly from pics.

inferno 182.
point taken mate and thankyou for your opinion on a supervisor!
I try to give my pro opinion on here which can be difficult as difficult from pictures as you understand and also difficult when not face to face as you can explain why this has happened and what is best to do and if they cant afford it try and help to maybe prevent for example it rusting! as for not come accross well on here??? anyone ever say thankyou???
please forward me you pro opinion on what is happening on his door edge from the picture!
Mate for a "bodyshop supervisor" you don't come across well. Unlike me not everyone knows the ins and outs of painting ect.

Gray was simply looking for advice. I've seen a few of your posts and you don't across great dude. You can be helpful without being rude.

I'll be back soon as my pot and kettle have just boiled.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You need to step back from the internet my friend.

Gray simply asked, nicely I may add, for some advice.

You're confusing your opinion with fact.

inferno 182.
think you should drink your cup of tea and put your slippers on and watch im a celeb!!!;)before you **** me thats my sence of humour mate! some just take it the wrong way!!!do you like my bonnet???;)sorry gray for nicking your tread for a minute!!!! touch it up for the mo and get it looked at though!!!
You need to step back from the internet my friend.

Gray simply asked, nicely I may add, for some advice.

You're confusing your opinion with fact.

BMW M135i
If its been properly galvanised (who knows with renault) then it shouldn't rust even with a small break in the coating due to how the oxidisation chemically occurs. It should still prefer to oxidise the zinc rather than the steel, but either way I wouldn't want to leave it uncovered personally. That said a lot of the stone chips on my passenger side are down to the metal pretty much and have been for a year or so with without any rust, the paint has blistered on the back arch though from water in between the paint layers but no rust.

Its the only thing these french sh*tboxes just about don't do!