ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

painting brake calipers what do i need

cliosport 182
hi gonnae paint my brake calipers at the weekend. what do you use to clean the calipers? do u just use blue hammerite paint and apply it with a brush how many coats do think it will require .

complete novice so advice needed cheers sean

Clio Billabong 1.2
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many threads about this already mate. Do a search.

PH2 172
Use a wire brush attachment for a drill, its circular and cleans the calipers in about a tenth of the time it will take with a wire brush!!

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
I went to Bouyes and for £3.50 they do a large can of brake cleaner. Enough to clean all 4 calipers. 2-3 coats of Halfords caliper paint which was £9.99. Very happy with the results too.
Removed caliper and disc then bolted caliper on with top bolt so no need to hold whilst painting. Once first coat is done on all 4 then the 2nd coat can be applied and then 3rd if required.

03.gif

Result....

05.jpg

Revo Stage 1 Leon FR
That looks wicked, i did the ones on my saxo and they looked good for about a month, until i realised i couldnt get behind the wheels to clean them. doh.

cliosport 182
cheers for all the advice gonnae give it a try on sunday depending on weather will let you know how it goes

Personally i'd do them today,then leave the car with the wheels off overnight for them to try properly, then just re-fit the wheels tomorrow.

Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2003
Use a wire brush attachment for a drill, its circular and cleans the calipers in about a tenth of the time it will take with a wire brush!!

very good advice...!

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Im bored of "painting brake callipers, help needed" threads. Theres sooooo many!

An for some reason the same people give the same answers in everyone of them!!

lol,

Did my rears yesterday, Hammerite smooth black. Went fine. One coat was abit thin, but i left it at that. dried to a touch-dry feel and put the wheels back on. Left the car without driving in the sun for 5 hours. All seems well and looks great.