ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Panel/Air Filter?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Hi Everyone

I have an 05 182 Cup and love it but it doesn't sound mean enough! I don't want to get a new exhaust system for it as it will cost a fortune and I don't fancy changing the cars looks.
I have heard I could fit a filter which will make it sound a bit better? What would you recommend?
I am not bothered about increasing performance but just want a nicer sound when I give it some.

Thanks in advance :cool:

cock mobile.
Open air filter will give a nice sound, but will make it worse on performance.

Forced air are quieter but will give better performance.

I have a panel filter myself, really no difference on noise or performance.

Clio 182
Itg i hope...well i have just orderd mine, seems everyone on here rates the Itg, the induction kits look nice but past experiences on my other cars was that pulling hot air from the engine bay caused it to run rough.

clio 182
Is there anyway to decrease the amount of hot air it gets? someone mentioned about making myself a heat shield, but i've no idea how to do that.

inclosed filter with direct cold feed is the one, people on here have viper or maxogen. Or like me cheap and cheerful stick with the 40quid itg panel replacement :approve:

182 Full Fat
K&N 57i induction kit i have certainly sounds great, but in summer performance does get affected due to the heat. Im lookin at ketting a pipercross viper, with the carbon fibre heat shielding.

Cam

182 Cup
andyisbrilliant said:
Is there anyway to decrease the amount of hot air it gets? someone mentioned about making myself a heat shield, but i've no idea how to do that.

Use the air feed from the old filter, thats should help slightly. Think you can buy heatshields but havnt got a clue where from.

cock mobile.
I had a piper open air on mine, it was crap, really wouldn't suggest it, or any open filter.

I have an ITG Panel as well, but as I said, no noise difference.

I have an ITG panel filter fitted in my 182 Cup - can't say I've noticed any difference. Used Jetex panel filters in my 3 previous cars, worked very well in the VTS. Not sure if Jetex make one for the 182 though

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm considering buying a ITG panel filter for my 172 but on reading this thread many people have stated that it made no difference at all to their car. Is it worth buying or not? If so where from?

Clio 172 mk2
ITG, K&N and Green panel filters are all better than the OE filter and will improve throttle response and you'll also have the bonus of being able to wash and re-use them.

IKs make a lot of noise which I think gives a false sense of a speed/performance improvement.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Any IK, whether it be closed or open will lose you power without bein mapped. Been there done that got the t-shirt.

Clio 172 mk2
That's the exact reason why I'm not bothering with one on my 172.

Went for a blast yesterday and the car seems more than quick enough for me and definately loud enough:D

Citroen DS3 DSport
So basically change the filter but forget about a IK? Where is the best place to buy from?

Clio 172 mk2
sneeks said:
So basically change the filter but forget about a IK? Where is the best place to buy from?

Got my Green panel from Demon Tweeks but think they do ITG as well.

Also believe there is a discount with them if you are a paid up member:D

Megane Trophy
more air and more fuel = more power

unless you have a tb's and high pressure fuel regulator and its been remapped things wont make much difference.

All these figures from k and n etc it gives 10% bhp are crap!

I am looking to replace the standard one with an itg panel filter, simply for better throttle response and driveability.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm not having much luck finding the ITG online in the UK, does anyone here have a link where I can purchase one?

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Plenty of cool air getting to any open induction kit when moving at anything other than walking pace! Viper seems to me to be over priced and also has the potential to take in water on a rainey day. The K&Ni sounds fantastic under full throttle and performs great no matter what the ambient temperature.

sneeks said:
I'm not having much luck finding the ITG online in the UK, does anyone here have a link where I can purchase one?

I got mine from merlin motorsport.

Clio 172 mk2
Taz1 said:
Plenty of cool air getting to any open induction kit when moving at anything other than walking pace! Viper seems to me to be over priced and also has the potential to take in water on a rainey day. The K&Ni sounds fantastic under full throttle and performs great no matter what the ambient temperature.

Are you talking about an open K&N cone?

I had one of these on my old Renault 19 16v and it was awful....I did try and find my old airbox but being stupid I'd thrown it away!

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Yes Neil it's the open cone, it's the one I'm using at the moment and to be honest I don't notice any performance gains or losses, but it does sound great! I have swapped around from oe to K&N using an "AP-22 Race-Technology" performance meter and this has shown no difference in acceleration, in fact the hp reading has risen slightly with the cone fitted although I did test it with an outside temp of about 2 degrees.

dnatuning.com
If you want to improve performance worth considering wrapping your inlet pipes with special ceramic taping to avoid absorbing underbonnet temps. Also worth ceramic coating your exhaust manifold to help keep the underbonnet temps down in the first place.
Another neat trick is ceramic coating your piston crowns and combustion chambers, keeps chamber temps down and allows you to run more timing too as it is alot more resistent to detonation, alot more!

But I'd only advise any of the above for the seriously tuned cars, or those with big pockets :)

A Fast One!
i think a pannel filter is a waste of time tbh, had IK's and pannel filters as well as bolt on for older cars with carb's..... if you have a pannel filter it will make sod all difference when comparred to the std pannel filter, anything open such as a bolt on or open cone will have heatsoak regardless of whether you have a heat shield so i would say that a ram air filter that is enclosed is your best bet with a cold air feed. the only exception to this rule is if you have an open cone induction kit that has the cone well away from the engine bay, in the bumper for example like the AEM Cold Air Intake they do for Honda's. i have had them all and would say that the AEM is the best by far, they dont do anything like it for a renault though unfortunately!

dnatuning.com
Only problem with low bumper feeds is if you hit alot of standing water and experience hydraulic lock.... not a pretty sight!

Cold Air feeds onto open cones are also pointless, as flow required is way above what is fed at relative road speeds, a sealed cone with a cold air feed to it is the best option if you want to go that way.

Clio 172 mk2
Maxogens and Vipers look good but for the money the performance gain is so marginal it seems like too much to spend to me.

I'm still with the panel in the OE airbox and spending money on other areas which will be more beneficial.

dnatuning.com
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Any IK, whether it be closed or open will lose you power without bein mapped. Been there done that got the t-shirt.

You'll only be loosing power through under bonnet temps, with just an induction kit that is well shielded the ECU is more than capable to allow for the better airflow and give you a marginal increase in performance IF it's properly shielded. The Mass Air Flow sensor is just doing it's job!

Intake temps are very important!

A Fast One!
John DNA said:
Only problem with low bumper feeds is if you hit alot of standing water and experience hydraulic lock.... not a pretty sight!

Cold Air feeds onto open cones are also pointless, as flow required is way above what is fed at relative road speeds, a sealed cone with a cold air feed to it is the best option if you want to go that way.

well i ran an AEM Cold Air Intake on my Civic Type R for 12 months driving it every day in every condition imaginable and never had hydrolock once even with the cone sitting behind the front bumper here ------->

aem3medsized.jpg

if it was dry enough here you have no chance of getting water up a cold air feed pipe!

if they did an induction kit like this for the clio i would buy one without any hesitation at all! this had almost identical gains to a £500 ram air induction kit but only cost £180!

Alex