ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Panning fast birds on slow shutter

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Decided to do some panning shots of fast moving birds with a slow shutter speed. My favorite has got to be the duck taking off. It's so clear to see the birds wing span in terms of angle. Most of the shots are very blurred but thats what I expected. Comments good or bad welcomed.

seagull1.jpg

seagull2.jpg

seagull3.jpg

duck2.jpg

#5 The duck taking off
ducktakeoff.jpg

Mental 172 Cup
good shots mate! i tryed panning a few seagulls in the back garden yesterday and a few other birds but they are to quick for me atm haha!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Nice pic, I really like 4 and 5. What shutter speed were you using?

And now I've realised I practise my panning on birds before I go to Silverstone lol

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Thanks for the comments. All were taken using the settings below with the D80 stock lens 18 - 135.

Exposure Time = 1/10 sec [0.100]
F Number = 11
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Hi Bob

try using a slightly quicker s/speed - 1/30sec , its important for the head to remain sharp, but to show movement in the wings.

other than that - colours and composition are good.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i think u could get away with much higher shutter speeds. The body and face should be in focus, with blurred wings.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
nope the main body of the duck doesnt move that much so take a standard shot with a slowish shutter say 1/30, you will probably need a tripod especially if using a long zoom as camera shake is magnified. obviously it depends on how the duck is moving

Ian

Focus TDCi
how would you take this?? would you have to pan the duck aswell it looks awesome!

If you use Firefox as your browser and install an EXIF-viewer plugin you can peep at his EXIF data. There isn't any for the quoted image, but the photos on his site still have it. Judging from them he still uses a shutter speed of around 1/1000th second, so wouldn't need to pan. Guess the birds wings are moving very quickly.

Edit: just noticed that James gave some details and he's already replied anyway. What he says makes sense. :)

At first I thought the title said 'fat birds' lool. :)

I love experimenting with photography, reminds me that I don't really do enough.

Mental 172 Cup
If you use Firefox as your browser and install an EXIF-viewer plugin you can peep at his EXIF data. There isn't any for the quoted image, but the photos on his site still have it. Judging from them he still uses a shutter speed of around 1/1000th second, so wouldn't need to pan. Guess the birds wings are moving very quickly.

Edit: just noticed that James gave some details and he's already replied anyway. What he says makes sense. :)

ive just installed that plug in how the hell do i understand what im reading! :p noob fail!

Ian

Focus TDCi
What you getting showing up Luke? Should list all the variables and what they were set to. For example this image:

Should give:

Exif IFD0
* Camera Make = Canon
* Camera Model = Canon EOS 10D
* Picture Orientation = normal (1)
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2005:10:08 00:08:05

Exif Sub IFD
# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/320 second = 0.00313 second
# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.6
# ISO Speed Ratings = 200
# Original Date/Time = 2005:04:01 15:25:28
# Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 545386/65536
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/320 second
# Aperture Value (APEX) = 325770/65536
Aperture = F5.6
# Flash = Flash did not fire
# Focal Length = 400/1 mm = 400 mm
# Image Width = 316 pixels
# Image Height = 467 pixels

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
saw this guy in my photography monthly magazine http://www.benhallphotography.com/

might be of some use

f8 @ 500mm 1/15 or 1/30

mallrd%20motion%20-%20web.JPG
Now if I'd have taken that shot I would have been chuffed to bits. I still have a lot to learn and can only get there with practice, practice, practice!

Wildlife is also very difficult to capture as it's so random. Need to be in the right place at the right time.

I enjoy going out and experimenting (with the camera) but my wife does tire of it so perhaps I should just bugger off on my own? LOL

LY 182 FF CUPPED
best place to practice ducks etc local to us Bob is Kersney Abbey ( if thats spelt correct)

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
best place to practice ducks etc local to us Bob is Kersney Abbey ( if thats spelt correct)

Spot on PlanetX
That's where I took all of these!
Not far down the road from us. It's just finding time to get out, always so busy, working, decorating, gardening, drinking;) etc!
I need to get up early or go down late in the day (on my own) and just wait for an opportunity! (And experiment more with shutter speeds :eek:)