ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Parts Required for Timing belt change?

Clio 182
I've got a mechanic doing the work but I need to order the parts myself & havent got a clue on what I need to buy?!! I know I need to puchase an aux belt too..

If anyone could list the parts that are required that would be awesome..

Cheers,

Paul.

Don't buy a genuine cambelt kit. If you do you need the cam "plugs" too. The Gates kit is the same bar the Renault diamond stamped on the belt. Its also cheaper.

We can do you the Gates kit for £110 and the genuine aux belt kit for £128. Postage on both is £8. PM me if you need to know more.

All you need apart from this is a competent mechanic with the right tools to lock the cams and crank. Tell him it will also help if he has arms like noodles and hands like a girl.

Pete
Auto-Nation

Clio 182
Cheers for the help chaps, the mechanic I use has all the correct tools, he did a cambelt on my old Fiesta Zetec S last year & didnt have any probs.

sideways danny - What do you drive? I see a few Clio's in & around Bedford but nobody seems to be on here..

Lionel Richie
with respect, a 172/182 isn't a fiesta

you need

cam locking tool - aka "the horseshoe"
pulley locking tool
crank pin
tool for aux belt tensioner
pack of 20 marlboro
small hands
a small dollop of swearing

(renault tools ONLY, none of this mickey mouse shite)

HBT 172 Cup
Call me silly ive done a few cambelts for my mates valvers and williams. CAn you not get around using renault tools by.....

1) Rotating the engine to TDC, stick a pin in the crank

2) remove auxilary pulley

2) draw a tippex dot on the top of both pulleys on one of the "teeth", and draw a tippex dot on a ttooth on the bottom of the crank pulley.

3) draw a 6 dots on the cambelt, one on a tooth either side of the tippex dots on the 3 pulleys.

4) take belt out, copy tippex dots onto new belt.

5) check, double check and tripple check the number of teeth between marked points on cambelt.

6) put new idlers, tensioner and belt on.

7) Put aux crank pulley on, and tighten. THen put aux belt on e.t.c

Now i appreciate this is not the proper method, and i also appreciate the F4 is all "floating", but if you never undo either of the cam sprocket bolts, them they never lose timing... and if the crank is locked at TDC that never loses its timing.............?

the idea behind the timing tools is there because of the 'renault' F4 timing method, where the pullies are supposed to be slackened, new belt fitted, then turned through rotation to neutralize and set the tension, then tighten the pullies back up.....

If you dont want to use that method, and its just a belt swap, it can be done without the tools like you mentioned. Problems arise when you want to change cams/remove rocker rover/remove pullies to change seals/etc.

172 Cup
I've tried the "mickey mouse" tools and as Fred says there are useless....the D shaped one just bends and causes your timing to be out.
Ive now got the full renault set and they are far superior than the cheaper alternatives.

with respect, a 172/182 isn't a fiesta

you need

cam locking tool - aka "the horseshoe"
pulley locking tool
crank pin
tool for aux belt tensioner
pack of 20 marlboro
small hands
a small dollop of swearing

(renault tools ONLY, none of this mickey mouse s**te)
Fiesta's are all most the same job all free floating ;)

RSC 172 Ph2
Probably a bit late to the thread, however I am looking at purchasing a kit myself - hence the reading around. I was wondering what you guys mean by "Mickey Mouse kits". Are you referring to non-genuine made in china kits. Would you recommend any of the two kits below? or would it be better to get a genuine Renault kit? If so, where would I look at getting a genuine kit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-...nd_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2568398112&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PC-Engi..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c9505962&_uhb=1

Lionel Richie
Probably a bit late to the thread, however I am looking at purchasing a kit myself - hence the reading around. I was wondering what you guys mean by "Mickey Mouse kits". Are you referring to non-genuine made in china kits. Would you recommend any of the two kits below? or would it be better to get a genuine Renault kit? If so, where would I look at getting a genuine kit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-...nd_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2568398112&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PC-Engi..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c9505962&_uhb=1

top one - crap

bottom one - crap (and for 1.4/1.6)

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Dont let them do it without correct tools and without slackening the cams, so many of these engines are running with the timing slightly out so tipex it and the timing will still be out. Get it done properly as you will benefit from it.

RSC 172 Ph2
Alright, so OE tool kit from Renault and yep, I've read about local garages not being able to do Renault major services adequately due to lack of appropriate tools.

Thanks for the help.