ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger air bag removal

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Has anyone removed the passenger air bag & where do you connect the resistors?
I just removed the entire airbag gubbins. No f**king about with resistors then. You just need to go easy with the wire cutting that's all and not get carried away. The lights on the dash are easily rectified with some black electrical tape placed underneath the clock fascia.

So where is the air bag control box? if I take it out will the service/airbag light come on, can I simply remove the air bag light? Does the canbus have anything to do with the airbag system?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So where is the air bag control box? if I take it out will the service/airbag light come on, can I simply remove the air bag light? Does the canbus have anything to do with the airbag system?
The airbag ecu is under the gear lever surround. If you disconnect it, yes the lights will come on the dash. That's easily rectified by the tape method though. You could remove the light as its only an led bulb.
The airbag system is on the canbus from what I can remember, but with mine removed I haven't had any electrical issues whatsoever.
I'm also one of a very few on here that's paired the wiring loom down and still retained the function of the uch, the car starting, no blown fuses when components are activated etc etc.

So you think I should remove the airbag ecu, I am not worried about cutting cables out. So after I disconnect the airbag ecu, I am ok as long as the car starts?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So you think I should remove the airbag ecu, I am not worried about cutting cables out. So after I disconnect the airbag ecu, I am ok as long as the car starts?
Yeah. I don't see the point of the resistors unless you plan on refitting all the airbags at some point to return it back to a road car.

The car will start if you just remove the airbag ecu mate. The cables only weigh ounces anyway tbh, so just cable tie them up out of the way.

Thankyou for the reply, i have no intentions of making it a road car again, my dash is out just now as I am fitting a flocked one on saturday, so should I just take both the service & air bag lights out while I am at it?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thankyou for the reply, i have no intentions of making it a road car again, my dash is out just now as I am fitting a flocked one on saturday, so should I just take both the service & air bag lights out while I am at it?
No worries at all mate. If you strip the clocks down you'll be able to lift the fascia plate up enough to do the insulation tape trick. It's certainly the easiest option! You only need the clear perspex off the front and your as good as there.
Just fold the insulation tape over on itself so it doesn't stick so it can slide in easily.