ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger Headlight not Working, any ideas???

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Evening all,

Baffling me this one. My passenger headlight has stopped working since I changed the sidelight bulbs as they had gone but now the passenger headlight has gave up.

I've checked the bulb and that works fine - I threw it in the drivers side and it was working fine. I have checked the relays under the glove box and made sure they are plugged in.

I also tried another complete pass headlight unit as I am changing it over due to a small crack in the old one and still it doesn't work.

Any other ideas as I am cheesed off now and it needs an mot this week also grrrrrrrrr

Cheers.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Checked the fuse / (ignitor or ballast if it's xenon)?

I've checked the relays under the glovebox, does each light run off another fuse? I've tried two headlights so I'm guessing I wouldn't have two bad Igniters/ballasts, is there a way to make sure?

I suppose I could try to connect up the driver side to the passenger and vice versa to rule out the wiring but I really am out of ideas.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Yeah I'm sure each headlight has a separate fuse. Best to check with the small stuff

Fusebox is located on the side of the dash when you open the passenger door

I'll check tomorrow, thanks. Ive just seen a fuse diagram and yep your right two separate fuses for the headlights 15a.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Fuses in the passenger compartment are all OK, I swapped them around to check and same story.

Im totally lost now, bloody odd that they were working until I put new sidelight bulbs in.

I put the nearside headlight in the o/s and again the good headlight all worked OK so not a wiring issue.

Anyone any more ideas? Pretty sure I've covered everything.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked the wiring to the headlight?

If you've checked fuses, relay for the lights and verified the headlight works elsewhere negating the ballast and igniter then it points towards wiring

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Have you checked the wiring to the headlight?

If you've checked fuses, relay for the lights and verified the headlight works elsewhere negating the ballast and igniter then it points towards wiring
Yeah I think so! I plugged the good light into the bad side and it works perfectly, I've looked at both 'bad' lights and everything looks fine, can't believe what the issue is because like I said earlier it was working OK until I switched out the sidelight bulb.

Baffled doesn't even begin to explain it.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah this is fucked mate, 'Renault' is the only word to describe the issue🤣🤣

So let's set this straight

1. Passenger dipped headlight not working because you swapped the sidelight
  2. Checked the bulb, verified working on other side
  3. Checked the relay
  4. Checked the fuse
  5. Spare headlight nothing works
  6. Drivers side headlight unit works on the passenger side? - You've tried this yeah?
The only thing I can now think of is you have 2 bad headlights (possible but improbable)

If it was the switch on the stalk you'd like to think both wouldn't work. What happens when you try full beam?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Yeah this is fucked mate, 'Renault' is the only word to describe the issue🤣🤣

So let's set this straight

1. Passenger dipped headlight not working because you swapped the sidelight
  2. Checked the bulb, verified working on other side
  3. Checked the relay
  4. Checked the fuse
  5. Spare headlight nothing works
  6. Drivers side headlight unit works on the passenger side? - You've tried this yeah?
The only thing I can now think of is you have 2 bad headlights (possible but improbable)

If it was the switch on the stalk you'd like to think both wouldn't work. What happens when you try full beam?

Mate, honestly I've gave up for now will have a final look tomorrow and post back up to say I'm pissed is an understatement raging emoji lol

Appreciate the replies btw, only thing keeping me sane 🤣

1-4 above is correct,
5 - works apart from dipped bulb
6 Yes done that, all ok

Yeah thinking, no way are both the headlights knackered just seems that can't be or maybe they are 😵

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I would swap the ballast and igniter from the drivers headlight onto the passenger just to be sure. You never know

Either that or just set fire to the car, that usually works and gets rid of that issue🤣

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
I would swap the ballast and igniter from the drivers headlight onto the passenger just to be sure. You never know

Either that or just set fire to the car, that usually works and gets rid of that issue🤣

Yeah that did cross my mind, easy enough to do? Gonna see if Clip brings anything up too when I find it in the Garage!

Failing all that, gonna pour petrol on it and stand back!!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Update for Tubbs Vice!

Wow its sorted, man alive!! I've poured the petrol into the tank rather than over the car 🤣

It turns out it was a wire issue on the ballast, not exactly sure what but swapped it out and bingo (y)

Happy days, cheers for the replies!