ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger side floor very wet. Help?!

Renault Clio 182
Hi, I'm new to this and bought my first Clio 182 about 2 weeks ago and got it on the road on Tuesday just gone.
Cleaning my car this morning I have found my passenger side floor is drenched and drivers side is slightly damp in places.

I haven't got a clue what it could be can't find no holes, do you think it could be because of all the rain we have had as I have been driving in it and through some flooded roads what came up to the bottom of my car?

Or any other suggestions please?

Monaco 172
Im pritty sure everybody is goin to say do the search there are loads of threads on it mate, ive had this problem before check the drainage hole under the scuttle panel there are 3 holes i believe that somtimes get clogged up but do a search and 1 of the threads will help you :)

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Jack up the car remove the passenger wheel then remove the archlining
look at the rear of the arch and clean out all the dirt etc etc
if the dirt is up to the hole that goes through to the cabin then chances are that's where it was leaking from

Renault Clio 182
no i dont have a sun roof, my side skirt has about half a cm gap on the passenger side at the front where the wheel is? could it get into the car from there? but wouldnt explain the slight damp in places on drivers side.

no i dont have a sun roof, my side skirt has about half a cm gap on the passenger side at the front where the wheel is? could it get into the car from there? but wouldnt explain the slight damp in places on drivers side.

nah mate, the only thing behind the should be your sills, so unless you have a hole hidden by your side skirts? lol must have got in when you went through the puddle at a guess then if it isnt the scuttle panel thing....

Clio mk2 phase 2
Tried to get my scuttle panel off today. Got to the wipers and couldn't pull them free whatsoever. But I've got the same problem. Need to work out how to pop the wipers off. Ball joint breaker maybe?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
You need a wiper puller tool - you can get one for about £10 and it's worth its weight in knuckle skin, makes this job easy, remove the wiper mechanism/motor too-three bolts.

Ph2 172 Black Pearl
Don't rule out it getting in through the boot - once the water's in the shape of the boot floor and rear seat pan means that it just waterfalls into the footwells which is exactly what happened in my car.

Check the spare wheel well which'll give you the best clue - if my spare wheel hadn't have been bolted down it would have literally been floating!

If it is the boot come back to me and I'll tell you what I did to cure mine.

Ford transit
Don't rule out it getting in through the boot - once the water's in the shape of the boot floor and rear seat pan means that it just waterfalls into the footwells which is exactly what happened in my car.

Check the spare wheel well which'll give you the best clue - if my spare wheel hadn't have been bolted down it would have literally been floating!

If it is the boot come back to me and I'll tell you what I did to cure mine.

what did you do, I'm in process of sorting out a 54 plate extreme and spare wheel was full along with back seat, under front seats and footwells, got it all out and garaged it for now, been looking on posts but there is that many places it could be coming from without removing all the exterior and interior it looks like its going to be a never ending problem to fix

Ph2 172 Black Pearl
what did you do, I'm in process of sorting out a 54 plate extreme and spare wheel was full along with back seat, under front seats and footwells, got it all out and garaged it for now, been looking on posts but there is that many places it could be coming from without removing all the exterior and interior it looks like its going to be a never ending problem to fix

For the life of me I can't find the thread on here now that helped me but in short (and sorry I don't have pics) I traced mine to the passenger side of the boot. I had already siliconed the plastic 'buttons' where the tailgate bump stops on either side but when that didn't cure it stripped the trim out on that side. What I found was bizzare - inside the rear wing at a point roughly above the rear light there was an overlapping panel joint and from within that water was flowing out (when raining or hose on it of course) and into the boot.

The thread I now can't find was for someone with exactly the same symptom (with pics) that traced the problem to a pin hole in the seam where the side panel of the car meets the roof under the short gutter trim that runs from just behind the door to the tailgate. I had found other references on the web to the same symptoms and cause so it's clearly not a one off.

I carefully took mine off (I found that just rocking it towards me from the top clicked it out with no drama). There was nothing obvious pin hole wise but cleaned it up and siliconed along the whole seam (my car is black pearl so I used black silicone). The result was immediate - not a single drop has got into the car since, so as you'll imagine I was pretty delighted!

Hope that helps.

Clio
As this comes up top of Google search for 'wet clio' I thought I would just add link to info about the blocked hidden central scuttle drain hole which is a common problem