ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pattern part rear shocks making PH1 172 sit higher?

120d M Sport
Hi,

I'm sure I read somewhere on here before that pattern part rear shocks can make 172's/182's sit funny.

Looking at some of the PH1's on here, that aren't even lowered, they look noticeably lower on the rear than my PH1 does. It sits very high.

The car has had replacment rear shocks in the past according to invoices I got with it. When I was under the car last weekend, I noticed one of the rear shocks is silver and is branded 'KYB'. The one on the opposite side is just plain black.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,

Alex.

I can't see them causing the car to sit any higher. The car will sit as high or as low as the springs let it. Unless they are massively short, but I can't see that either.

I'ts not ideal to have different rear shocks, always advised to replace in axle pairs... etc etc.

But, like said above, it will be springs that give the height. Any invoices for replaced rear springs? Pattern springs are probably totally wrong for renaultsports.

120d M Sport
Cheers for the responses.

Yes now you mention it, there are mentions of springs being replaced on a couple of invoices, couldn't say whether they were front or rear though, appears to be the odd one here and there.

120d M Sport
Sportlines are definitely on the agenda (know of any for sale?), more likely to be paired up with some new genuine Renault shocks.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I got a set of pattern parts from ECP on the Icberg ph1 mate and they were most definatley higher, i ended up getting a used set of normal springs from Gaz's old odyssey and it was back to normal!

Sportlines are definitely on the agenda (know of any for sale?), more likely to be paired up with some new genuine Renault shocks.

Some sportlines for sale on here, think fred gets a good price on them to.

Konie yellows arent cheap but worth pricing up against genuine renault shocks as doubt they will be much more but are a brilliant combo with eibachs

Damping rates are also wrong with pattern parts and not up to the job like genuine!! personally i would go genuine everytime

Or as Duck said paired with yellow Konis

Have to say that it seems I am out of date with Koni prices though as I can looked at them this evening for the puma and can get a full set of (raceland-esque) coilovers for less than one koni yellow....

120d M Sport
It'll be eibachs with standard shocks that I'll be going for, don't want anything too harsh for road use and want to keep the spending down.

^ Duck, for your Puma should be looking no further than a Ford Racing suspension kit (google Chris Birbeck rally school) - 20mm kit with eibach springs and sachs dampers for circa £220!

120d M Sport
Look like a bargain to me! I'm still tempted now to get a Puma and fit those bits to it, reckon it'd drive mint!

All the parts he has are bits for Ford racing prototypes that that never got produced, like the Ford Racing KA. some FRK wheels would look epic!

Yeah had a read this morning. If I can get them from him at the kind of money you suggested I will get those. Had to laugh at the price of the coilovers though, they are from hot tuning who have them on ebay at £375, quick email and got them down to £160 delievered lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rear ride height isnot effected by the shocks at all as they springs sit on the beam.

Even if you remove the rear shocks, the static height of the car will still be the same as with them fitted.

It will be down to your springs not your shocks if yours is higher than it should be.