ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/360/PS3] Space Marine

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone tried this yet? It's not officially released, but the demo is out. I've put a couple of hours into it and so far and I'm quite impressed - YT clip below...

It plays in the 3rd person, which is never one of my favourite aspects - but I have to say that it works really quite well with keyboard and mouse. Naturally the console-esque 'aim assitance' was switched off, simply because that's wrong. All the time. Any time. Full stop.

In essence, the game is a linear FPS - seeing your Space Marine take on seemingly endless waves of orks as you progress through each map. And then yet more orks. It's fun to make bullet sponges of the quite frankly gormless green cannon-fodder, but it doesn't match the onslaught of zombies in the likes of L4D2.

There are several weapons to choose from, but in the single player aspect, you're 'forced' to pick the next weapon found at one of the drop pods. I say forced, as they are normally a much better step-up from the weapon you're currently carrying - so you'd be daft not to really. There's also the jump-jet capability, but again, that limited to being available to when and where the game dictates - like when high walls bloke progress etc.

The melee mode is arguably much more enjoyable. Starting with the basic sword, you can progress through a chainsword, power axe and thunder hammer - with each ork death contributing to your 'Fury' gauge. Once full, you can unleash the Fury and literally become a one-man death machine for 10secs or so. Heads fly, limbs go in opposite direction and some orks get clean cut in half. You can also stun the orks with a melee attack that enables you to execute them in a shower of green and red. There really is a fair bit of violence in this!

So far it's pretty good - so long as you don't have too high an expectation for a genre-breaking title. Certainly from the SP side, there are no experience points, upgrades or customised attributes for you character - which makes progress feel quite hollow. This in an quad-player co-op game would be great - but even that would be dulled through the never-ending sea of oncoming orks. Some variation would be very welcome, but those may well appear in expansions or future releases?

What I will say for Space Marine is that it has a superb sense of scale. The landscapes feel big. The structures feel big. The factories feel big. The ruins feel big. The Titan walking unit when you see it - is huge. Units fire at you from long range and likewise, you can hurl lead back at equally impressive distance.

Overall it's good, but I would suggest buying it when it's cheap. It's not really worth full price imo. I'd like to think that this is a 'taster' game - something that THQ has released into the market to test it's toe in the water, so to speak. Those who remember FireWarrior from a few years back will instantly feel at home with this - and it's much, much better than that.

Worth a punt - but don't get your hopes up! :cool:

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I was tempted to get it, but not convinced enough about it and bought Gears of War 3 instead.

Astra CDTI SRI
Supposed to be surprisingly good.

I love the warhammer 40k games (Dawn of war etc.) so will deffo give this a look when it comes down in price.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Played the demo on the PS3. Seemed a decent enough game but there are better coming out in the near future so this one will have to wait a while i think.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just how much do I hate 3rd person perspective!!! ;)

Such a flawed interface. The camera angle can't maintain accuracy to the way you're facing (as clearly is the case in a 1st person FPS) so you end up side-swiping mid-air often in melee combat. Ranged weapons aren't so bad, but up close is awful and mind-numbingly frustrating.

Over the shoulder view? Yuk....

D.