ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC - Car Surveillance

Can anyone recommend a decent PC Surveillance package that can be used as CCTV connected to computer used to record potential chav activity / attempted break ins ?

This is not for me btw

thanks for an ideas... (if any)

Quote: Originally posted by dangermouse_se on 08 December 2004

I got a webcam from dixons for less than twenty quid that is motion sensitive.

sounds cool, could you hook it up to a PC with a huge hard drive and get it to record for say 10 mins when something sets of the motion sensor?

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by ^adam^ on 08 December 2004

sounds cool, could you hook it up to a PC with a huge hard drive and get it to record for say 10 mins when something sets of the motion sensor?
Yeah, i think all webcams can do this, its nothing special on the camera, just depends on the software. The software is set to triger when the image changes by a certain amount (i.e. someone walks into shot). You can then set it to record for so long after each trigger. My 5 year old Creative webcam could certainly do this.

Quote: Originally posted by ^adam^ on 08 December 2004

You get more than ten minutes out of it with a normal HDD, the video is only 640x480. Its a Labtec, the pic is reasonable but if you wanted better pic you could spend a bit more, just make sure the webcam has a motion sensor feature.

only prob with the webcam solution is can u get the webcam close enough to the car to get a decent picture of their faces? i like the wireless network cameras but they still need power and its the problem of getting them close enough to the car!!!
look at ebay at a cctv pci card for the pc, then u can use proper cameras which u can fit ur own lens to, they not that expensive at all, about £40 ish for the pci card then whatever you want on a camera, from about £50 ish i think, thenu get a decent solution!!

You want a proper camera.. with night vision..

Webcam wont be nearly good enough I wouldnt have thought.

Ultra Red Megane R26

If youve got a USB DV Video Camera that may work. I use my Sony TRV14E as a webcam all the time.

Elise/VX220/R26

all you will get from webcams and cheap cameras is a picture of a blob near your car. If you want evidence quality images you need to install some security lighting and be spending a good £200 on a camera (I do alarms and CCTV for a living)