ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] - Company of Heroes 2

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same issues with XCOM as you Darren. Haven't played it since the 14th of October according to Steam, so probably a few days after release!

Nissan 350z
Put another couple of hours in over the weekend, started on the campaign now rather than just Skirmish matches. Really like the campaign so far it seems very well done. Im interested to see what the co-op scenarios are like but none of my mates have it yet :(

This game has got me started on searching for a replacement system, FML! Expensive times ahead.

DCi
I have to say I was surprised at a download just shy of 10gb for a RTS.

Seems good so far, I've played about as much as Darren has documented in screenshots there so I'll crack on and hopefully it is good.

I need a bigger screen imo :eek:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have to say I was surprised at a download just shy of 10gb for a RTS.

Seems good so far, I've played about as much as Darren has documented in screenshots there so I'll crack on and hopefully it is good.

I need a bigger screen imo :eek:

Reformatted my PC on Friday night, only to realise that Steam doesn't record your campaign progress - doh! Such an epic feature of Steam when games support it - I wish more did.

Trying to get a co-op game going with two of my mates. I'll be honest so far - it's NOT as good as the original Company of Heroes, but I'm warming to it more.

D.

Nissan 350z
Interesting article, thanks. I couldnt agree more with the final statement:

Unfortunately, we're a little disappointed with the results overall as CoH 2 seems far too demanding for what it is. Furthermore, for a game that requires such a tremendous amount of graphical power, its lack of multi-GPU support feels like a serious blunder to us.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting article, thanks. I couldnt agree more with the final statement:

Unfortunately, we're a little disappointed with the results overall as CoH 2 seems far too demanding for what it is. Furthermore, for a game that requires such a tremendous amount of graphical power, its lack of multi-GPU support feels like a serious blunder to us.

Lol - I didn't even know that?? Relic - seriously - WTF???! Erm, 2013?

​D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, over 18 months since the last post, I have returned to CoH2 in earnest. After the British Forces DLC was bought (ironically, my least favourite and least played faction of the original game) - I fired up CoH2 and got stuck into the Ardennes campaign, along with the occasional skirmish.

I don't know if Windows 10 has helped, or if the game has been patched a lot over the last year-and-a-half - but it runs considerably smoother than it did previously. The game feels more like CoH1 revamped now - rather than the botched mess that CoH2 was on release. The Ardennes campaign is also massively more enjoyable than the default Russian one that CoH2 comes with. I actually finished that Eastern Front storyline just yesterday and I didn't really get a sense of achievement at all. The criticism that CoH2 came with about it's ingrained attitude to the Russian forces of WW2 was partly justified, but in the same way, was based on a lot of historical fact. Sending waves upon waves of infantry into capture a single objective might nod towards the truth of the early-to-mid 1940s - but it doesn't necessarily make for a good RTS game. Especially when if the commissar is loitering at the base, you retreat your troops to get reinforced - and the poor b******s get shot!

2015-12-11_00009_zps7lkbtlr5.jpg

2015-11-23_00001_zps8mmpxrcf.jpg

2015-12-22_00002_zpsurvfecoi.jpg

2015-12-05_00003_zpspfy8s2gy.jpg

2015-12-11_00007_zpsrvz5r6hx.jpg

2015-12-11_00005_zpsroucmv82.jpg

2015-11-23_00006_zpsizscj1ec.jpg

2015-12-05_00002_zpsaspg3tbi.jpg

2015-11-15_00001_zpswmjtn5nc.jpg

I will therefore reverse my previous criticisms of the game - so long as you don't purchase just the core game itself. This game needs the DLCs to come alive - to give you the choice of units and offerings in order to take on the objectives. There are many improvements over the original - not just graphically, but with the number of keyboard shortcuts you can use as well as issuing orders through the mini-map in the lower left. That alone is a god-send.

If you see the complete edition knocking about for a cheap price - then I'd strongly suggest that you take a look. But it takes the Western Front armies, the Ardennes campaign and the British forces in order to make this game shine.

Ive got CoH2 with the Western Front DLC, and thought it wasnt too bad. Havent got Ardennes DLC yet but may look into it as i fancy getting back into it again.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Also have CoH2 and Western Front DLC, never played it! Need to fire it up today
Steam sale should start tonight, so it'll appear again cheap soon

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got CoH2 with the Western Front DLC, and thought it wasnt too bad. Havent got Ardennes DLC yet but may look into it as i fancy getting back into it again.

As if by magic. CoH2 75% off on Steam, along with all the DLCs and add ons

Loved the original company of hero's! Just wish my laptop could run number 2 at anywhere near the quality of the 1st...

As above chaps - if you get all the DLCs, it really does transform the game. I'd recommend playing through the Soviet campaign, purely because some of the maps are really well thought out. Then go for the Ardennes one afterwards as its far superior. Playing them the other way around like I did wasn't as enjoyable.

@Diesel Davis - if it's cheap in the sale that @Cookie mentions - you might as well buy it. No doubt you'll be upgrading your laptop sometime in the future? :smiley:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Found out the Theatre of War scenarios earlier on today for the first time - doh :blush:. I just thought it replayed the cut-scenes in-between the campaign missions!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I know its an old thread but ive been looking at downloading one of these games,which one do you recommend please?,i would like to do campaign games and online multiplayer.

Also is there a Steam SALE coming up soon?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I know its an old thread but ive been looking at downloading one of these games,which one do you recommend please?,i would like to do campaign games and online multiplayer.

Also is there a Steam SALE coming up soon?
The next Steam sale is likely to be the summer one - though occasionally they do have publisher specials randomly coming up. It's also worth checking on cdkeys if the Master Collection comes up cheap, or possibly even G2A, though I've heard the occasional bad report about the latter.

If you like the campaign modes, then CoH2 has a great selection of them. The core one that focuses on the Russian perspective first is a little weak, but after that, they get better and better. Online mode is great fun - especially as there's a dedicated mode of players vs. AI. I'd recommend setting it to Easy until you get to grips with the various units and their abilities. Even setting it to Standard difficulty is likely to see you get trounced again and again. Higher difficulties see the AI clearly cheat - and I'm not just saying that! Using a map editor, it's clear to see that the enemy receives a big resource boost to start some maps with and also the construction rate of the units is quicker than what you can do. Definitely one for the weird sado-masochist players out there.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bought it today. Not yet played it though.

Same,i bought the package deal.

Thanks @Darren S

Nice one chaps! :cool:

It's a shame that the weakest part of the entire CoH2 'pack' - is the initial Soviet campaign. Don't let it put you off - try to stick with it if you can, because it really is a true gem of an RTS game.

Once you get to the German and American campaigns, it really does pick up on enjoyment level. If you're not already on the ClioSport Steam group - add yourselves and if I'm on, I'll happily join you in co-op skirmish against the AI. Show you some of the ropes, etc. :blush:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
This beauty is back on Steam for £7.49 for the Master Collection.

Definitely recommended for anyone with even a slight interest in RTS games. Still plays superbly imo - I’ve even got a current skirmish save on the go from yesterday with me and an AI playing as the Russians against four enemy German AI.

Our backs are certainly up against the wall at the minute - but we’re holding our own..... just!