ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] - Company of Heroes 2

Looks superb. The original CoH blew my socks off when it first came out. It was refreshing to get into a RTS that played as good as it looks. Probably the best RTS, with the possible exception of Supreme Commander, since the halcyon days of C&C/Age of Empires.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks superb. The original CoH blew my socks off when it first came out. It was refreshing to get into a RTS that played as good as it looks. Probably the best RTS, with the possible exception of Supreme Commander, since the halcyon days of C&C/Age of Empires.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Yep - same here. What I'm really looking forward in CoH2 is the fact that they are addressing the line-of-sight issue, specifically. Bugs the hell out of me when an anti-tank gun can take pot-shots at your armour - even though hills, trees and sometimes even buildings stand between you and the gun.

Although the German vs. Russian setting is no doubt going to be great, I'm still hoping that they manage a US vs Japs in the Pacific Theatre as well. :)

D.

Yep - same here. What I'm really looking forward in CoH2 is the fact that they are addressing the line-of-sight issue, specifically. Bugs the hell out of me when an anti-tank gun can take pot-shots at your armour - even though hills, trees and sometimes even buildings stand between you and the gun.

Although the German vs. Russian setting is no doubt going to be great, I'm still hoping that they manage a US vs Japs in the Pacific Theatre as well. :)

D.

That'd be great!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm hoping that they keep the 'mix & match' feel to the way the units and different armies work too. Like having the Kampfkraft centre to automatically gain veteran status for new units of the Wehrmacht - whereas the Panzer Elite need to earn their veterancy through combat.

Having the 4 seperate armies of the original CoH, each having 3 specialialities - made for a varied and changing gameplay model. Last night, I had a go as Panzer Elite and chose the Tank Destroyer speciality - simply because I hadn't picked that faction for quite some time.

I'm not sure how well Relic will fare with the multiple army scenario in CoH2 though. As far as I'm aware, the Eastern Front was 90%+ a German vs Russian conflict. There were the cameo roles of Finland and the partisans - but nothing that would include an Amercian or British/Commonwealth army in there.

But pleeeeeeaaaaassssseee - let there be a tribute map to Kursk in there!

D.

Some absolutely monumental tank battles on the Eastern front as well. Those could be fun. Although, to be honest, in CoH1 I always preferred the infantry combat.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Some absolutely monumental tank battles on the Eastern front as well. Those could be fun. Although, to be honest, in CoH1 I always preferred the infantry combat.

Yep - CoH was/is always an infantry game first, armour second - even though it's difficult to resist the appeal of the King Tiger or the Jagdpanther when you bring those into the game. :)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Really liking the Beta so far - but its a LOT more difficult than the original CoH! Just had my arse handed to me by going up against two Easy AI with a Normal AI alongside me. Looks very pretty too.

D.

Nissan 350z
The only thing im concerned about is the obsession with DLC the game is currently displaying. I really hope they dont go OTT with it :(

Nissan 350z
I'll probably pick it up on Thursday (payday) as i have already splashed out on Rome Total War 2 this month :cool:
It will be good to finally replace Tales of Valor. Am I right in thinking this base game is just Russia V Axis?

Nissan 350z
But i wanted the Spartan pre-order faction :(
I think Steam take your money when you pre-order tho, and refund the difference. At least thats what i assumed.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I know I going to get slated for asking but anyone know if there is going to be a version for Mac :)

I wouldn't want to try it tbh. It requires Win7 minimum (won't run on WinXP) and is pretty heavy on PC hardware as it is. To get it to run on a Mac that use notoriously average graphics cards in the first place - means you'll probably be on a loser to begin with. :(

​D.

FF Clio 182
I wouldn't want to try it tbh. It requires Win7 minimum (won't run on WinXP) and is pretty heavy on PC hardware as it is. To get it to run on a Mac that use notoriously average graphics cards in the first place - means you'll probably be on a loser to begin with. :(

​D.

Even with a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro... Can run all the new games maxed out. Anyone got a system requirement spec sheet ?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
An hour in - so far, so good! Looking forward to playing the campaign all the way through :)

Needs Scone's PC to get the absolute 110% best out of it though. Very graphically demanding. Carl - I suspect you'd have to make a fair compromise to get the game running smoothly on that Mac. There's just so much going on, combined with a lot of real-world physics. I've got two nVidia card in SLi, backed up with an nVidia Quadro just purely running Physx. I have to set most things just to High, rather than Highest in order to run smoothly.

​D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Attached some screenies..... :)

2013-06-25_00001_zps2fd8610d.jpg

2013-06-25_00004_zps2142ce55.jpg

2013-06-25_00003_zps46fd5b06.jpg

2013-06-25_00005_zpsc3ba2492.jpg

2013-06-25_00002_zps136e19b8.jpg

2013-06-25_00006_zps7e32e2ed.jpg

2013-06-25_00008_zpsff54ebc6.jpg

2013-06-25_00007_zpsc0c4ee60.jpg

2013-06-25_00009_zps8b525fad.jpg

2013-06-25_00010_zps3532b6d8.jpg

​D.

Changes to often
I'll probably pick it up on Thursday (payday) as i have already splashed out on Rome Total War 2 this month :cool:
It will be good to finally replace Tales of Valor. Am I right in thinking this base game is just Russia V Axis?

i cannot wait for rome 2, pre orderd this too, been waiting soo long for it to come, the total war games are my all time favorite games, Rome was incredible.

How are people finding COH2? played the first one, and was very impressed, but how much diffrent is the second?

FF Clio 182
i cannot wait for rome 2, pre orderd this too, been waiting soo long for it to come, the total war games are my all time favorite games, Rome was incredible.

How are people finding COH2? played the first one, and was very impressed, but how much diffrent is the second?

Rome 2? I never knew that, game was awesome! I haven't played COH2 but looking at it the graphics look more comical that the original. Could be wrong.

Nissan 350z

Ive owned all Total War games since Medieval Total War Kingdoms and never been disappointed so i bought it based on that. Im in the same boat as you, i cant wait! I just hope my system is up to scratch to run it properly.

So i spent a couple of hours on COH2 last night and I'm in 2 minds. To me, graphically its very similar to CoH with the units/base building largely unchanged so i feel disappointed that this is just an expansion pack in my eyes. We've gone from having 4 nations with tons of maps to 2 nations with about 12 maps and the prospect of everything additional as DLC luring over me :(

The game itself is nice though and has some nice additions. On winter maps occasionally a Blizzard will come and if infantry are not able to find a fire they will freeze to death, you also get reduced visibility. I also like the way they have introduced perks. You still get the whole "chose between 3 doctrines" but you can also now unlock passive perks things like "conscripts move 5% faster" and are allowed to pick which you have active. Its all tied in to your level which increases when you win matches, you can also unlock camoflage patterns.

This is the first game though that has strained my system to the point where i cannot play it on the desired settings. I dont understand why its more demanding than MetroLL but it appears to be!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ive owned all Total War games since Medieval Total War Kingdoms and never been disappointed so i bought it based on that. Im in the same boat as you, i cant wait! I just hope my system is up to scratch to run it properly.

So i spent a couple of hours on COH2 last night and I'm in 2 minds. To me, graphically its very similar to CoH with the units/base building largely unchanged so i feel disappointed that this is just an expansion pack in my eyes. We've gone from having 4 nations with tons of maps to 2 nations with about 12 maps and the prospect of everything additional as DLC luring over me :(

The game itself is nice though and has some nice additions. On winter maps occasionally a Blizzard will come and if infantry are not able to find a fire they will freeze to death, you also get reduced visibility. I also like the way they have introduced perks. You still get the whole "chose between 3 doctrines" but you can also now unlock passive perks things like "conscripts move 5% faster" and are allowed to pick which you have active. Its all tied in to your level which increases when you win matches, you can also unlock camoflage patterns.

This is the first game though that has strained my system to the point where i cannot play it on the desired settings. I dont understand why its more demanding than MetroLL but it appears to be!

It's mainly due to two factors. First is the scaling of the game - any one soldier on those screenies I've posted can be zoomed into - to a point where you can see individual items on his uniform. The other 'system killer' is the real world calculation of line-of-sight for each and every unit. The engine has to compute what a unit could realistically see from behind cover, terrain in front, etc. For a great example of this in action, take a sniper up a small hillside and see his viewing range increase dramatically - unless there's a tree, etc in the way.

What we're seeing here is a just the same as when the vanilla CoH was released. It was good, but not great. It took until the superb Opposing Fronts expansion and later, Tales of Valour to make CoH an exceptional game. I'm therefore reserving true judgement until I hear of future expansions, but what I've seen and played so far, I really like. I just hope that the expansions are on the same scale as Opposing Fronts with complete revamps of units, additional units and maps - rather than upgrading your German troops from MP40's to MP43s for 69p through Steam or something....

​D.

Evo 5 RS
I always remember CoH 1s main draw back with DX10 which was how it actually rendered grass lol. Killed the frame rate! I won't get round to playing this for yonks so will give it a miss. Still playing XCOM when I can, love that game.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I always remember CoH 1s main draw back with DX10 which was how it actually rendered grass lol. Killed the frame rate! I won't get round to playing this for yonks so will give it a miss. Still playing XCOM when I can, love that game.

Have they improved the targeting at all on that game, m8? That was the thing that turned me away from it. Higher percentage accuracy for enemies behind cover than those stood out in the open and closer to you? :S

Seems flawed, but still a good game.

​D.

Evo 5 RS
It was GOTY in many places so it must have done something right lol. They fixed the targeting in one of the first patches mate nearer launch!