ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC connected to router kills wireless connection when on

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Hi guys looking for a bit of help on this issue as its driving me mad, we have a sky wireless network in our house and it runs a pc (running xp), ps3 and the odd laptop. Connected to the router via cable is another pc running vista, however when this pc is turned on it seems to kill the wireless network and steels the internet connect for itself, when it is off all other wireless devices work fine.
sometimes though the wireless connection will work when the other pc is on so its completely random

cheers
James

Cupra
After fighting with my new router for the best part of the morning and my old one for the past couple of weeks because of wireless issues, I can honestly say that I hate wireless.

Might be worth trying it on another channel to see if you are getting interference from the neighbours.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
When you say 'connected to the PC' - do you mean via a CAT5 (ethernet) cable or via USB? I know on the old NTL cable modems that running a USB connection to a PC would kill the ethernet connection to the wireless router.

Similarly, running on wireless would stop the USB connection working. There is probably a work around, but I couldn't be arsed finding out, tbh.

D.

Clio 172, Audi A4 S-Line
Might need to give some more info... like model of the wireless router...

Depending on which sky router you have, you might be able to upgrade its firmware to sort it out. Never heard of that kind of thing happening before though!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
basically there is a PC downstairs (running vista) connected to the router via ethernet cable, when this pc is off the wireless network is fine and all devices(pc running xp, ps3 etc) connect to it and receive full internet access. however when the pc downstairs is turned on the wireless signal is lost, other devices cannot find a connection and therefore dont get internet access.

i dont know if its anything to do with the mix of vista and xp

not sure what make the router is but its the black sky router not the white one

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Doesn't matter about OS.. even vista cannot be blammed for this one.

I had a simmilar issue with my PS3 killing my router, I ended up doing a firmware update on it which resolved the issue.

172 Cup SOLD
If it's a Sky connection I've heard of this before, we have a user at work who suffers the same problems, thankfully there using a 3rd party supplier and not a business line that we recommend so we haven't had to work a fix for it......yet!