ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Wireless Router Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
given the current situation ive been told to work from home until further notice, which is fine we are fully set up to do so.

but my wireless router in the workshop is a bit old and slow and skype doesn't work when im connected to it. its a cheap probably 5 year old TP link jobby.

we are with BT with a BT HH5 and ive got a cable that runs all the way into the workshop. so the workshop router is actually wired to the HH5.

any suggestions on something that will do the job? something I can just get from PC world as ill go today/tomorrow to grab one and nothing to expensive.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be really surprised if even a five year old router can't cope with a bit of Skype, but personally unless you have some other reason for having a router or the workshop is a loooong way away from the main router I'd just get a wifi extender

The other thing you could do is get a powerline wifi set

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'd be really surprised if even a five year old router can't cope with a bit of Skype, but personally unless you have some other reason for having a router or the workshop is a loooong way away from the main router I'd just get a wifi extender

The other thing you could do is get a powerline wifi set
Well Skype does not work when in my workshop sadly, but does work when connected to my HH.

The distance is to far, I can't even pick up the HH in the workshop, plus it's full of metal machines blocking signal.

I'm not using power lines when I have a cat5 cable running to my workshop, that's just stupid.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking for any other reason than, 'they're shite' I can't really give you one. Most ISP routers are only good for 'modem mode'.

I know of only one person with the BT whole home setup and it's nothing but a buggy unreliable mess.

There is absolute bliss in never hearing the words "the wifi isn't working".

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you're looking for any other reason than, 'they're shite' I can't really give you one. Most ISP routers are only good for 'modem mode'.

I know of only one person with the BT whole home setup and it's nothing but a buggy unreliable mess.

There is absolute bliss in never hearing the words "the wifi isn't working".

fair enough, do you need the little white bt box thing in order to get something other than BT to work?

im on a fibre package

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Are you FTTC or FTTP? 'Little white box' suggests FTTP.
no idea sorry, am on bt fibre

any of these any good?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Is that tp link one any good?

Sorry, no first hand experience of that sort of kit. I've used other TP Link bits over the years and found them to be fine.

The only thing I'm wary of is that it might not be the router you're currently using which is the problem, can you stream video in the workshop for example? Just wondering if the connection is fine for basic web surfing etc but not for anything more intensive and it could be related to the cable not the router. I guess you can always return the new one if needed.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
so just received my new asus wireless router, pretty easy to setup and all is working. just by getting a new router it has resolved a few issues we had.

gone into my workshop and plugged my tp link wireless router in and it just worked straight away. but I want to change its name and password ETC...

this is the one I have

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

on the back it says to type http://tplinkmodem.net to access it, but when I do it takes me straight to my asus settings page. I cannot access my tp-link router. ive not got a clue what im doing, can anyone help?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Run Ethernet from the router in the house to the workshop and then connect the workshop end of the Ethernet in to a TP-Link like so:

PowerLine extenders will boost any hardwired signal round the workshop/run a hardwire from the TP-Link to the Ethernet on the laptop/PC.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Run Ethernet from the router in the house to the workshop and then connect the workshop end of the Ethernet in to a TP-Link like so:

PowerLine extenders will boost any hardwired signal round the workshop/run a hardwire from the TP-Link to the Ethernet on the laptop/PC.
is it not possible to use the one I already have? save spending more money?

Clio 2.0 138hp
so just received my new asus wireless router, pretty easy to setup and all is working. just by getting a new router it has resolved a few issues we had.

gone into my workshop and plugged my tp link wireless router in and it just worked straight away. but I want to change its name and password ETC...

this is the one I have

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

on the back it says to type http://tplinkmodem.net to access it, but when I do it takes me straight to my asus settings page. I cannot access my tp-link router. ive not got a clue what im doing, can anyone help?
If you have a computer or laptop it would be ideal to connect directly to the router using a cable. If you disconnect it from everything else and just plug your computer into it then you should be able to access that routers page and change the settings you want to change.

Im assuming it is happening because the new asus router you have is using the same ip address as your old tp link one was. You will need to change the ip address that your tp link one uses in order to stop this happening.

A4 Avant & A3
Maybe log into the admin settings on your new router & see what IP address the TP link has been given (assuming your new router is dishing out an address to it)
You might find they are both on the same address, so you might have to log into the tp link locally & set it to dhcp/to a unique IP address

Clio 2.0 138hp
Maybe log into the admin settings on your new router & see what IP address the TP link has been given (assuming your new router is dishing out an address to it)
You might find they are both on the same address, so you might have to log into the tp link locally & set it to dhcp/to a unique IP address
Basically what i was trying to say, just better written :)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So what am I changing here?
If you have a computer or laptop it would be ideal to connect directly to the router using a cable. If you disconnect it from everything else and just plug your computer into it then you should be able to access that routers page and change the settings you want to change.

Im assuming it is happening because the new asus router you have is using the same ip address as your old tp link one was. You will need to change the ip address that your tp link one uses in order to stop this happening.

Attachments

• DSC_1564.JPG
    DSC_1564.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 65
  Clio 2.0 138hp
So what am I changing here?
Im assuming your system runs like this ...

Asus router connected to your main internet feed into the house
Tp link router connected to the asus router via cable

It should work by switching dhcp server off
Then changing the default gateway to something other than one being used already. I would change it to something like 192.168.1.150

Hopefully that should work, i think you can use the dhcp relay function but im not entirely sure how that works. Someone on here must know

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

Then changing the default gateway to something other than one being used already. I would change it to something like 192.168.1.150

Hopefully that should work, i think you can use the dhcp relay function but im not entirely sure how that works. Someone on here must know
That is correct

OK changed let me test

Clio 2.0 138hp

Maybe try 192.168.1.2
Just makes it easier to find in future