ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Guys - Onlive.co.uk

Just tried OnLive now and its miles better than I expected - all prices are in Dollars for me though irritatingly.

EDIT: f**ks sake I signed up for a US account by mistake.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
I can use it at work, but from home I've no where near the bandwidth - Id suggest doing a free trial. £1 for a first purchase is a bargain of a deal, but try playing anything over it and then say the same thing...it's not very nice.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
So if I buy a game for £1, its not like Steam where you download it. It's streamed?

No thanks.

Evo 5 RS
I tried Dirt 3 on it, on a bog standard 8mb ADSL 2 connection... detail is clearly set to low, there is massive input lag and the picture is grainy...like I say, give it 3 or 4 years lol

Don't forget there are lots of free trials so give it a go, no need to spend any money. It's not great, but miles better than expected.

I'm very impressed tbh. I was expecting it to be useless but just having a quick play of Dirt 3 on my Mac and it actually works. I'm on a 7mb connection and it seemed fine, there was a tiny delay but that was expected.

Not gonna use it on my PC but for my MacBook? Awesome!

Edit: In fact I will use it on my PC to trial games before I get them. Wish I had done that before I got Dirt 3 as that was w**k.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It is the future, Darren. You iz right! It certainly ain't the present!

The trouble is - when it finally does arrive, it could potentially make all custom PCs redundant overnight. What a great thought. :(

With everyone needing little more than a decent broadband connection, TV and a controller - one-off hardware will no longer be required. Christ - it's no better than everyone having the same generic console. In fact, nope - it's worse. At least with a console you have a choice of two at the minute. :(

I can see the benefits - and when the infrastructure is properly in place, the demand will pickup at a rapid pace. Software houses can properly track licensed usage - roll out server slots as and when - and minimise hacks and cheats. Not forgetting that everyone will be using the same 'hardware' as such.

But I like my own kit. I like setting it up as to how I want it. When that choice gets removed through no fault of my own, it will be a very sad day indeed.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There will always be gaming PCs.

m8 - I hope you're right - I really do. But I just think when the technology arrives to support such gaming, I think the manufacturers like Asus, Abit, MSI, etc will move onto other areas.

Imagine Modern Warfare 15 gets released when this technology is in place throughout 80% of the UK households. Infinity Ward install, operate and run the entire online practice with servers away from the public eye. Everyone is patched to the very latest version automatically. Stats, server load and traffic balancing are all handled away from the public too. Little 12-year-old Billy doesn't give a flying f**k how the game works. All he wants to do is to plug his controller's wireless adapter into the side of his parents' 80" 4D TV and be online with the lads from his class within 30 seconds.

That simple, no-brainer, no effort mentality will be what screams this technology ahead. The simple fact is that the vast majority of people cannot be arsed in any shape or form to setup, prepare and update a game themselves. It's a gaming equivalent of people who PC, wax and seal their beloved cars when the rest of the population look at them mystified and says that "The rain will wash my car for me".

It's good tech - I'll give them that. But there will be casualties in pushing it forward. The PC gaming market (certainly from a hardware perspective) being one of them, imo. I just hope I'm completely wrong on that.

D.