ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Problem......

when I boot up my home PC I get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I have looked on the net and it seems the way to resolve it is to use the XP CD, what if you don't "have" a windows xp CD :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
take it too a shop and give them 20 quid to re-install windows... are you sure this is the only alternative? can you not start up in safe mode/ cmd prompt and reinnstall the missing executable file from a floppy disc? may save you loosing all your stuff.at work atm but il have a dig for you

Shed.
can you boot it up in safe mode, or does your windows load up fine. Replace the file griff uploaded and you should be okay. Aquire a copy from the internet, a lot of xp cd images now dont need activating.

A3 1.8T
Still, if you do this at your company depending on the user (assuming hes a home user) that's not on contract don't you charge a minimum of an hours labour?

Punto/Clio GTT
cant you take your harddrive to someone elses house to plug into their pc as a slave, then throw the file in the correct folder?

Punto/Clio GTT
ok you wanna google the file and find out what folder it actually goes in. if its a windows file itll be somewhere in c:\windows\

then you want to take out your harddrive from your pc and on the end where the cables go into it you will have a small recess with some pins in and probably a jumper. you want to move this jumper (take it out with a small screwdriver or try grab it with your nails) and put it over the S (slave).

if it aint got a jumper in, i *think* it may work if you just plug it into your friends pc and hope it picks it up automatcically via cable select. just hope it dont try boot from yours first which it shouldnt if yours is going into the secondary.

do you know if your harddrive is IDE or SATA? you wanna take your cables from the harddrive with you to your friends pc just incase it hasnt got the cables already in there for a secondary. also if your harddrive is sata, make sure your friends motherboard is sata compatabie or it wont work.

then just plug it in, boot it up, get that file downloaded to your friends pc, copy it over onto your harddrive and in the windows folder which should come up in my computer.

pretty sure this is the only way to do it if your hd aint booting at all

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Try and get hold of an XP CD is possible. Boot from CD and enter Recovery mode by pressing R when prompted.

You'll prob have to choose the windows installation and enter the admin password (it prompts you for both), then at the command prompt:

copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

Assuming d: is your CD/DVD drive that has the Windows CD in it.

It might not work, but should do. I've had a this a few times, and half the time it works, half the time its fuked and needs a full re-install!

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
take it too a shop and give them 20 quid to re-install windows... are you sure this is the only alternative? can you not start up in safe mode/ cmd prompt and reinnstall the missing executable file from a floppy disc? may save you loosing all your stuff.at work atm but il have a dig for you

why not just buy and install windows yourself rather than pay some goon to do it:S

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Dont take it to a shop, waste of cash, just borrow an XP cd from someone, or download one and burn to CD purely to get your pc working again with this file copy!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

why not just buy and install windows yourself rather than pay some goon to do it:S

because a legal off the shelf copy of windows xp costs £89.99 maybe?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=651185&category_oid=

i also quote (near enough anyway)

you are speaking to someone whos knowledge of what you are talking about it 0

best bet for you is to borrow it off a mate if you can and do it yourself though.

Megane R26, R21 Turbo

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=651185&category_oid=

best bet for you is to borrow it off a mate if you can and do it yourself though.
ok if your not willing to pay for a genuine copy borrow a copy make sure u have a decent cameraphone go into say e.g currys who display thier serials on the outside of thier machines and take a picture, p.s if youve ever bought anything from pc world dont ever speak to me again ;-)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

ok if your not willing to pay for a genuine copy borrow a copy make sure u have a decent cameraphone go into say e.g currys who display thier serials on the outside of thier machines and take a picture, p.s if youve ever bought anything from pc world dont ever speak to me again ;-)

Yes. But as we all know... Thats illegal :rasp: And yeh fair point, PC world FTL.:eek: