ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah public sector pay is shite! It’s also generally a safe haven for people who are beyond useless at their jobs.

Not as bad if you’re a contractor though.

Standard nhs, put up so much tape nobody can do anything. Circumnavigate the tape you put in by getting consultants in to get s**t done. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
We have a vacancy for a network engineer. If anyone knows anyone looking?

Nearest offices either Crawley or Doncaster.
£55k tops, I suspect. Overtime and on call monies available too.+ They'd get to work with me. Which is worth loads.....

Would suit a mid-grade engineer or someone looking to progress to senior. But It's more about the person TBF.

Industry is defence. Massive global organisation.

Drop me a PM if you know anyone who fancies a change! Informal interview etc.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Holy mother of god……

We got very close to having a back door which could arbitrarily inject malicious code into ssh requests as part of the default install of some major Linux distros.

That would have been fun!

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
1712048112971.png

This was not funny to wake up to

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone in need of a job in Dev/SRE/Networking?

We've just been part of a takeover and were looking for more staff to bolster our teams. Drop me your CV and I can forward it onto our recruitment

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
That's something that hasn't been finalised yet

Suppose it depends how good they are. If you're s**t you owe us money for being a c**t and wasting our time🤣
I’m going to suggest we adopt this approach

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Golden handcuff numbers those

GoDaddy only offered £500 and it was only paid when they passed their probation. Tight c***s
They just hated using external recruiters/agencies and preferred to get people who came recommended from existing staff.

New place is £1200 😢

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yup cost them less overall, and for a startup (still a billion dollar co, but startup none the less) I guess it worked scale wise.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Seeing how people were losing their s**t when it came out that Google was still tracking activity in incognito made me realise people really don't understand how little 'privacy' incognito/private browsing provides.

On a completely different topic:
In a meeting today and one of the other security consultants leans forward and says, with a dead straight face:
"The most secure computer in the world is the one that isn't connected to the internet, that's why we recommend TalkTalk as your ISP" :LOL:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing how people were losing their s**t when it came out that Google was still tracking activity in incognito made me realise people really don't understand how little 'privacy' incognito/private browsing provides.

In a meeting today and one of the other security consultants leans forward and says, with a dead straight face:
"The most secure computer in the world is the one that isn't connected to the internet, that's why we recommend TalkTalk as your ISP" :LOL:

LOL!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator

He not wrong. Good luck getting TalkTalk to connect to the internet.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Had an absolute corker.

Over the weekend prtg pinged an alert for an issue at one of our clients site... engineer turns up and lets himself in. Finds the COO getting railed over a desk by some dude :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I've been in italy this week so only just found out. Absolutely amazing haha

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, this is a good opportunity to discuss the funniest stuff we've seen in our IT Careers. I've had a few this year alone.

- Client had a leaver that had been with the business for years and had left to retire (they never told us). They let her keep her laptop. Someone from our place was doing a hardware audit in RMM and logged in to this device (RMM shows the last shown webpage). This little cute old lady, like 75 years old, the most polite person you'd ever meet, was watching BBC gang bang p**n on her old laptop :ROFLMAO:

- Had a US client accidently switch on their webcam in a Teams meeting with 20 people in it, totally stark naked. Balls n'all.

- Had a CFO watching p**n during work hours on his machine.

- Had a clients security compromised due to a number of users signing up to p**n sites with their work emails.

340i
I've had a few funnies...

- Senior manager on a call, forgot to mute himself at one point... Soon realised he was on the toilet, dropping his arse out - Full on pebble dash of the porcelain.

- Once walked into a colo DC, found a technician with trousers round his ankles, leant against a rack knocking one out, watching p**n on his phone... Must've been a quiet shift.

- A properly weird engineer I worked with years ago (Still lived at home in his mid-40's), visited site occasionally on weekends for OOH work... Security collared me on Monday, by chance they had to review CCTV footage for an unrelated incident, turns out they found him in the boardroom Sunday morning, wearing a leather trench coat and nothing else. Dropped the coat, started sliding and grinding the chairs and sliding his naked body across the table. Turns out he's been doing stuff like this for months, when reviewing CCTV back...

- Years ago, when I worked in support... Doing a client back-up / restore, he had 10Gb+ of p**n on his desktop, buried in a few layers of folders. Claimed it wasn't his and unsure how it appeared.

Glad I work at home now days, but do miss the funny s**t sometimes. 😅

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Had an absolute corker.

Over the weekend prtg pinged an alert for an issue at one of our clients site... engineer turns up and lets himself in. Finds the COO getting railed over a desk by some dude :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I've been in italy this week so only just found out. Absolutely amazing haha
Please confirm gender of COO so I can prepare correct response.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
We have adopted the doughnut culture whereby the simple mantra is "f**k up, buy doughnuts (and not s**t ones)".

It's weird how the prospect of some tasty doughnuts has you praying for the network intern to unmount the production SAN on a Friday (this happened at least 3 times).

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
One of our younger engineers got sent down to the data centre to decom a stack.

Decommed the wrong stack despite having clear instructions and somehow managed to decomm the stack that was still switched on… not the one that was switched off and marked for decomm.

Plunging a client in to the dark ages 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
We enrolled a new client in to Intune.

Again.. one of the younger engineers… wiped someone’s personal device (with no backups)

🔥😂

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Worked for a company about 4 years ago as an IT Manager.

Got a call from the finance director… laptop isn’t working. It isn’t switching on..

Me: “is it charged David?”
David: “yes”.
David: “can you remote on and sort ?!”
………….
………….
Me: “well, no, not if it won’t switch on.:::”
Me: “I’ll video call you”
** ring ring…. **

Me: “humour me, plug the power adapter in”

laptop fires up 🙈

The same guy, went out one night on the piss and woke up the following morning to find his company car missing. He reported it stolen.. whole company aware etc…

Car was round the corner from his house. He forgot where he parked it. 🤣

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
We have adopted the doughnut culture whereby the simple mantra is "f**k up, buy doughnuts (and not s**t ones)".

It's weird how the prospect of some tasty doughnuts has you praying for the network intern to unmount the production SAN on a Friday (this happened at least 3 times).
You must work with people I have worked with in the past🤣

If you f**k up/it's your birthday you buy 2 trays of Krispy Kreme🤣

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Why it’s a bad idea to had all the discs from the same batch, all dead slap bang on 40000 hours, I do not miss on prem hardware at all 😂
1713558327774.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 11