ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Upgrade

'02 1.2l 16v Clio Expres.
Hi,
Im basically just looking for opinions about this, so any help appreciated!
I'm currently running a 5 year old pc, mainly used to keep my music and occasionally i use it to surf the web etc. But i think its time to treat it a wee bit and upgrade it, i now realise that just chucking in a wee bit of ram wont give huge gains in performance so i was thinking about this
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-080-OK&groupid=701&catid=339&subcat=1026

My system is currently

Athlon XP 2800+
Gigabyte GA7VA
256mb PC2100 DDR
Geforce FX5200 128mb
80GB 7200rpm HD

Using my current case as a base with my existing CD/DVD drives and so on, could you reccommend a wee package and a new graphics card and a bigger harddrive to go with it!
Cheers
Jamie

Iceburg 172FF
Whats spending limit? Thats not a bad price for that bundle but do you have to stick with AMD or would you consider Intel? Do you plan on playing the latest games on it, ie crysis or COD4 etc?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
To be honest, if you upped that comps mem to 1GB you'd see a hell of a difference in perfomance.

'02 1.2l 16v Clio Expres.
No really demanding gaming, when im really bored i sometimes break out theme hospital, but seriously im not planning anything too demanding, just want it to be able to handle general tasks better. Im thinking about getting a new case and making a media pc though! Spending limit is not high, maybe stretch to £175, like i say, its not for demanding use!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Seriosuly upgrade that 256mb of ram to 1gb, that will make it 5x faster, 256mb of mem is xp's minimum amount of mem, poor old thing will be strangled at that speed, bet your hard disc goes mad all the time?

Not a Clio
That AMD bundle is good value, same one I recommended to my brother actually (putting it together for him this weekend) you would notice a massive difference from your current setup.

As for a graphics card it depends on what you want to spend. An 8600GT would be more than adequate for what you say you use the machine for.

How much hard drive space do you currently use? Check that then see what's available. Not much point buying a 500GB if you only use 80GB or so. The board supports SATAII so look at SATA drives.