ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People trying to race you......

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Don't get any bother, only had a couple of runnings in, both BMW. One was decent, flashed and thumbs up afterwards, I assume he wasn't trying very hard since his E92 330i was still level at 60mph, unless he badged it up.

And one dick who tried to keep up in a E46 323i. I saw he was gunning it before so thought I'd have a laugh from the lights, but let him by afterwards and just watched his dangerous driving from behind as he wasn't worth the potential hassle. Swerving in out of cars on a DC like a scene out of F&F. Other than them, nothing really since getting it in November.

Static Low
i get hassle in the 1.2

everyone round here seems to think its a 1.6 & that it looks fast..

haha :S

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My mums driving the GT at the moment and it gets friggin' loads of attention from the Homebase carpark dickhead crew. However my mum often likes to overtake them in there 1.0 corsa/saxo's etc. Its funny to see there faces as they are overtaken by a 40 year old woman :p

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
It's rare that anybody tries to race me. To most of the public it's just another clio.

Usually though it's people in CTRs and GTIs (who might know that an RS is) that try to race.

It's funny seeing someone drive a CTR perfectly normally, and then once they see you start driving like pricks just to put on some show.

I used to think a lot of people were trying to race me, then I realised that mostly, these c**ts behave the same no matter what car you're driving. Occasionally it's obvious that a few lads fancy a friendly dice but, quite rare. I sometimes oblige depending on the road and conditions but, mostly, just let them sail past.

Roads are for going places. Tracks are for racing.

182 Cup
Tbh I think 182's get more attention for this purley because of the dual exhaust. Makes a lot of people think it's an aftermarket mod to those who aren't in the know etc...

At North Weald the other day I got some sarcastic c**t asking me if I had a V8. Obviously my answer was no. "So why the twin exhausts then mate?"

To make matters worse, he beat me down the stip by a couple of tenths in his XE powered mk2 Cortina.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
It's rare that anybody tries to race me. To most of the public it's just another clio.

Usually though it's people in CTRs and GTIs (who might know that an RS is) that try to race.

It's funny seeing someone drive a CTR perfectly normally, and then once they see you start driving like pricks just to put on some show.

haha completely agree with the last bit

Trophy #490
Happens most days when I'm out in mine. It's very rare that I don't get any attention from the usual Corsa's and Saxo's. I don't mind it really, but some drivers take it too far, I don't mind booting it in suitable areas but when you get to a 30 zone and they get back to within an inch from your bumper is when it really does my head in! They just need to slow down and then quicken up in suitable areas, not boot it in 30 zones. What do they expect to gain though? Do they really think their 1.2 Corsa will beat the best hot hatch ever made!? ;)

There's an '02' plate CTR that lives around my area and he drives like this. He's ruined it with quad exhausts and terrible alloys though! He hasn't bothered with the Trophy much a lately since I left him behind when pulling on to the motorway early one morning! Must have dented his ego a bit!

But yeah, I get it a lot.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
i get it ALL the time and ive only had ther car 4 weeks, dunno if its the area im in.... its usually the vtr's with the sunstrips

i get it, as we all do. dont rise to it though, obviously want to show u that they are on par with you... sometimes its the 5 door meganes with blue sidelights othertimes its the rep boys on their way to a 12 o'clock and meal for one

yeh mate afford to drive it on track then i'll race you

Clio 182 + Recaros
I guess it depends on the area you drive in and also the way you drive. If you drive your car like you stole it then your more likely to attract attention. I've only been baited twice in 5 years of ownership and on both occasions the cars in question where being driven so recklessly I was happy to be overtaken. I was secretly hoping I'd see the same car wrapped around a tree a mile down the road.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I guess it depends on the area you drive in and also the way you drive. If you drive your car like you stole it then your more likely to attract attention.

I get it a bit in the cup, but it always seems to be in places where i would never boot it... its 30 for a reason!

Out on the country lanes i get no problems, probably cos im gone before they get a chance to try anything.

MCS R56

Bit of a generalisation. I'm sure they think the same of Clio/Corsa/Astra, whatever drivers too and get the same reaction.

Let's face it, they are all low(ish) budget performance cars and the reason we buy them is to have fun. Most people have a point to prove and that's where the cocky behavior starts. Some people keep it for the track, some do it on the roads.

BMW E92/Audi S3
I don't get much trouble. Well I don't realise anyway :p
I've had boy racers in little 1.6's reving the f**k out of their engines to keep up, that's it.

RS 172+
Racing on a public road is too bl**dy dangerous, and if you get caught you're at least gonna get points and a fine, if not a disqualification. I take pride driving well, not slow, but within the limit for the prevailing conditions (My exhaust is too loud to floor it at every set of traffic lights) ;)

When driving, I look forward to coming across a deserted road. If there's nobody about I put the pedal to the floor and hang on. I get the thrill without the risk, if you see what I mean.

Rise above it, and let the goons get ahead of you... the further the better.

Rant over :approve:

Fairly rare tbh, you get the bellends in fiberglass wonders that race everything, picks in company cars that do the same so I think it's rare someone is trying it on because of my car. Some c**k at a set of lights in a mk4 gti dailed in about 4k rpm before they changed. Needless to say I had to put him in his place by destroying him lol.

DCi
My judgement of the folk who try and goad you into racing off the lights is that they are the sort of people who would probably race anyone who looks at them disregarding what car you drive entirley (the best one was a young lad in a cinquecento who wheelspan his car lol)

I think the easiest way to pick these sorts out is if you are approaching the lights then make sure you stop your car in front of theirs...they will always edge their car forwards to get that little 'headstart' then you just know they are going to fly off!

i dont really know about motorways because i dont do a lot of m'way driving outside of rush hour anyway

NEED V6!
around my area there just seems to be fiesta st's everywhere!!!

i like playing with them,there not slow but not as quick as clio

good fun aswell

Megane F1 R26 LY
i used to get more s**t in the saxo Vts then the clio .

pissed this one guy off in a beemer . he was revving his engine like a tw@t , he had his young bint in the car so i floored the saxo he floord the beemer and the look on his face was priceless . some guy in a 25k car getting cained buy a £3000 saxo :D funny !

Nimbus 197
I thought people were having a go all the time when I first got the 197, I think I have chilled now and must ignore them better than before. You get the odd arse, but then again, I get them in my company diesel vectra.

The ones that annoy me are the dangerous drivers tailgating when I have the bairn in the car, that I don't tollerate.

RenaultSport clio 172 exc
had my 172 almost 3 years and only have a few folks wanting a race. only obliged twice. once was a jap import crx that was very impressed by the fact that he had to really push the car to keep up.

The other was a pure laugh, my mate and i were out in cars (he had a 205gti R.I.P) and were were at lights in a 3 lane road and a bam waggon pulls up along side revving and looking for a race. light turn green and all we see is the bam waggon vanishing in our rear view mirror. Toooo funny, boy didnt even have a hope. maybe if he spent less on plastic bumpers and stupid exhausts and got a decent car he could do that sort of stuff. total fool.

However having a mate die in a car crash has made my driving a lot calmer. Still like a wee blast now and then but far far more carefull in my old age.

RS Clio 182
I think its the twin pipes on my 182 that goad t***s into having a go in their 1.4 'twinport' Corsa's haha - i never really rise to the challenge unless its on an empty country road,where i would just accelerate away - you also get the corsa/saxo chavs looking round at you at lights waiting for a 'race' lol..

I also get rep dickheads in their BMW's/Audi's tailgating me on the A1 urging me to go faster - really does my head in,i just pull over to the slower lane and let them through.

I agree that a lot of people probably think a 182 is a 1.2 Clio with a couple of fake exhausts stuck on,makes it more satisfying when you pull away.. :D

mx5
I get it most days lol, my journey to school has bits of traffic followed by dual carriageways and always get people trying to race once it opens up.
Think its because of the k-tec racing sticker and loud exhaust etc, they overestimate my likkle car.
At first I used to try and keep up, but never could really lol so have kinda given up. Only really take the bait now if its like a polo, corsa etc as theyre the only ones i have any chance of keeping up with.
On friday of last week had an edition30 shoot round me as soon as we got on the a41 and was ridiculously far ahead after like 10 seconds, never seen a car go that fast on that road before.

it doesnt bother me usually, as if they are nice cars im usually more impressed than pissed off :quiet:

Funniest one I had was an old guy in a focus when I had my 1st Cup. I was coming down the M67 and this Focus was going pretty slow so I pulled out in to the middle lane and over took it then filtered off junction 2 for Hyde. The old guy driving didn't like that so he tailgated me all the way up the slip road then pulled in to left lane next to me at the lights. When the lights changed he wheel spun off cut in front of me at the next set of lights so he could turn right. He nearly had a crash with an oncoming car when he did turn right then continued to nail it past a police station. At a rough estimate I'd say he must have been doing 60-65 (was a 30 zone) when he passed the police station.

I know were all inclined to speed now and then but it was the last thing I expected especially considering the bloke must have been in his 60's Lol.

1.4 phase 1
i dont have one my self, but i would say people would only want to race if you act like you want to race/chavs not knowing the power

Clio 172 & Fabia vRS
i get it all the time for some reason in the 172 and even more so in the Fabia!! :/

Best one so far though.. In the 172 of course ;)
Mini "ONE" off the lights, Young lad driving with what seemed to be his GF (trying to show off i guess) had the just passed plates on the back too!!.. just left him for dead!

Nice blank look on his face when i stopped as he happend to be going to the same place i was!!!.. FAIL!!!

i know you shouldnt and its bad bla bla! but i just couldnt back down from this one was soo funny when he got out the car with a shocked look.. even his gf was having a giggle!!

02 plate 172
Guess it depends on the area, I didn't get it that often, just from the odd Beamer trying to jump me at the lights etc. I get it more now I've got the 1.4 badges on it.

Slight thread hijack, but I've seen a lot of 2.0 16v "bullets" in the for sale section. the ones on my 172 look pretty scabby and I was considering trying to find some plain ones and taking the sport badge off the back. Is it easy to remove the bullets? and do any models just have blank bullets?

Back on topic, I do get tailgated a lot more than I did in my old Flog GTI, but it seems to happen more with smaller cars IME.

Clio 197 R27 Albi
mostly young chavs seem to try it with me in there corsa's and nova's with 7" back boxes.

haha they do make me laugh.

Stagecoach Ticket
yes alot mainly 206gti's vtrs and corsa like above and a few old men trying to bully you in big things but i do leave 2 mins from lydden hill. Its nothing compared to how much hassle my m8 gets in his Focus RS

Renaultsport 200
From time to time ive had it in my 197. I think ive only bitten once, as mostly I can't be arsed changing down and booting it.

I get more upset if someone is trying to ruin my 30/40 mph cruise in 6th gear with Oasis playing tbh. I usually let them by so I can continue with singing my t1ts off.

2001 172
so whats quicker in a straight line then, CTR or 172?

I had a play with a CTR and seemed to leave him comfortably, but it seemed too comfortable for him to have been trying

Whats quicker?