First, for me, puppy is plenty fast enough, so not into chipping it etc (yet...). I dont want it to go any faster, but I would like to sharpen up some other things and I wondered what you thought about these performance upgrades:
1) A clutch that works. When accelerating hard and changing quickly, the clutch feels like it slips and slurs for a few milliseconds - it doesnt feel decisive. Im prepared to live with a heavier clutch in exchange for a better engagement. Any ideas? Twin plate racing jobby?
2) Brakes. Id like them to have more bite. They feel a bit soft intially, then theyre very good. This isnt as important as the clutch though, but would bigger discs/drilled etc and pads help me out here?
3) Ride. I know the argument that Reno has optimised the car for the best handling/ride combo, but I think an improvement can be made. IMHO theres no point lowering it as it corners flat enough - my beef is with its body control on undulating roads; I think the shocks could do a better job of reigning the body in. I apologise for again making reference to my former Golf, but the Reno isnt as composed on undulating roads as the Golf. So, I was wondering, what about changing the shocks, but not the springs? Gas filled or something? Any thoughts? How heavy are the wheels? If they are hevay then maybe unsprung mass could be a factor and lighter alloys may play a (small) role here??
4) The steering wheel is too big, and it exacerbates the tardy turn in. Does Momo/anyone make a replacement unit thats smaller in size, yet still retains the Airbag (I dont want to lose a safety system).
5) Finally - is there anything (bar tyre changes) I can do to reduce the wretched torque steer even by a little?
Sorry if these are real dunce-like questions, Im not technical, but curious about how to make my sweet car a little more to my liking. Oh, and would £1k cover all of this?
Muchos gracias amigos,