ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph 1 172 Grab Handle Refurbishment Guide

You will have to bear with me on this as i have never written one of these before.

This is what i started with

SP_A0109.jpg

SP_A0110.jpg

SP_A0106.jpg

As you can see, a set of very tarnished and for use of a better word nasty looking grab handles.

Once they were removed from the car, they were soaked in hot soapy water, and left in the bucket over night.

I then used a Kitchen type scour pad to remove the layer of rubber type lacquer.

RH-827.10.jpg

Once completed , i noticed a few bits that i was unable to remove.

I then stepped up to some wet and dry, 1000 Grade.

This removed all the rubber type lacquer and took it back to the plastic in some places.

These tasks were all carried out over the bucket.

I was happy at this stage, i then set about giving them a final wash in hot soapy water, then dried them off.

Once dry i sprayed the first coat of paint, this was done using Vauxhall Star Silver, this was after speaking to Middo.

The best way to spray and you will have to excuse my crude description, was to dust on the first few layers.

Light fine coats, these ensured there was a good base in which to build on.

I left about 1 hour between coats , sometimes longer, just depended how long they took to dry.

I gradually built up the layers making sure the coats were even and there were no runs etc.

When i was happy with the silver, i then set about spraying on the lacquer.

Again very fine coats, dusting it on to ensure good coverage and no runs as they are a nightmare to get rid of as they have to be sanded back once dry.

Roughly 6 hours were left between coats of lacquer, i did 5 coats in total.

I left 4 days between the completion of the 5th coat till the point where i fitted them.

All products used are available from Halfords.

The final result.

Before and after type shot.

SP_A0111.jpg

SP_A0112.jpg

SP_A0107.jpg

SP_A0105.jpg

And all fitted back on to the car.

SP_A0113.jpg

If anyone is interested i have a spare set that i am just in the process of doing, they are a nice addition to the ph 1 172 as the originals are terrible once they start to wear.

Please Pm me if you are interested.

Thanks for reading.

Looking loads better, guides pretty good too:)
Mine are a little bit mank, not overly bad, just not upto my standards that's all.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They look bloody awesome in the flesh.

Much like my face....

They should wear much better now justine, the shitty rubber type stuff renault use is sheeeeite. Along with the steering wheel fabric.....TBH, i hope they shot the guy that designed the interior trims of ph-1 Renaultsports!!

53 Clio's & counting
great guide mate,im toying with the idea of doing mine silver again instead of black,im trying to decide if the blk suits it

Evo 6, E92 320d
They look really nice, shame the 1.2 doesn't have those style grab handles or i would have done mine.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Middo did mine a few months ago, he used a slightly different colour to the standard silver though.

They are so much better than the finish from factory now :)

Chocolate Bar™
tis impossible to get a perfect match as the standard silver is satin, and satn paint isnt really hard wearing enough to use on te handles without laquering, when i tried it they scratched within days. Think the silver I used on yours was platinum chris? Are they still bearing up ok?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Looks cracking Justine, how much would you want for your spare set if I swapped them with mine?

Clio 172
They look excellent mate, im going to have a go at this but have no spare ones so will just do one at a time, was just wondering why you used star silver? is it the same colour to the centre panel? and also did you use the laquer you got with the vauxhall paint as i know u get one with it (i work there :p)

Thanks tony

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Think the silver I used on yours was platinum chris? Are they still bearing up ok?

It was the silver with that hint of blue, looks great. Yeah they are still looking very god, just one small black mark where something rubbed on the passenger side one ages ago. Other than that (which was my fault) they are looking great.