ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 712 airbox and ITG vs Ph2 airbox and ITG POLL

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
Admin can you turn this into a poll / vote thing for me please. TY (and amend my '712' typo in title lol)

got matched inlets and exhaust currently running standard air filter on my cup. Soon to be going in for cams.

What do you guys think would produce better performance and most suited on a 172 cup taking into account all the above?

1. mk2 phase 1 airbox samco elbow, itg filter with CAF
  2. mk2 phase 2 airbox, ITG panel, CAF (nb no samco elbow)
  3. Spend £300+ for a carbon fibre maxogen :nono:
  4. an open induction cone e.g pipercross
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
  Ph1
hmmm good point but i have heard gains are no diff just paying for CF? &noise

No ones ever tested the Maxogen back to back with stock as far as i know so this is just typical forum bull s**t. You can easily match the negatives with the positive comments on here about them. Depends on what you want to belive :approve:

I spent 200 quid on a Viper. Was a decent bit of kit, car went well but then the material tore and i had to bin it. 200 notes down the swanny. You wont get that problem with the Maxogen.

Also the CDA has had good results with a few. Might be worth thinking about

Any mod is only as good as the whole set up at the end of the day :cool:

VaVa
No ones ever tested the Maxogen back to back with stock as far as i know so this is just typical forum bull s**t. You can easily match the negatives with the positive comments on here about them. Depends on what you want to belive :approve:

I spent 200 quid on a Viper. Was a decent bit of kit, car went well but then the material tore and i had to bin it. 200 notes down the swanny. You wont get that problem with the Maxogen.

Also the CDA has had good results with a few. Might be worth thinking about

Any mod is only as good as the whole set up at the end of the day :cool:

Agreed. Although they have tested against a stock car.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/downloads/clio172.pdf

I'd have another one tomorrow. My car's felt strangled since I went back to standard box with a panel filter.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Have had both set ups on my cup. (1 and 2). I can tell u that the phase 1 airbox with itg panel filter and samco is better than the ph2 airbox and itg filter. Made 3ft/lb more peak torque and a couple more bhp through the rev range compared to the phase 2 set up. Or go one better and get the espace v6 airbox.

Punto JTD
I've always been told that airfilters don't make any performance difference whatsoever. But I am always willing to listening to the facts. I am slightly skeptical about those RR figures. I think what puts me off the Maxogen is just the price really. I've always gone with the best bang for buck theory so I suppose a PH1 airbox or a V6 airbox will do (along with the ITG filter). Will be watching this thread closely.

I've always been told that airfilters don't make any performance difference whatsoever. But I am always willing to listening to the facts. I am slightly skeptical about those RR figures. I think what puts me off the Maxogen is just the price really. I've always gone with the best bang for buck theory so I suppose a PH1 airbox or a V6 airbox will do (along with the ITG filter). Will be watching this thread closely.

+ 1 My ITG filter in standard airbox sounds really good just used some ducting to uprate the feeds! :approve:

th_MOV01080.jpg

200 Gordini
Im doing No. 1 and going to fit my itg and samco the day i get the inlets done so hopefully i feel the added bhp better ;)

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
My intial thought was option one and most the comments support this. I might get the itv panel and test both but sounds like people have done this already and chosen the ph1 thanks for all the advice. Dave

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
whats the difference between the 'cup racer' v6 espace airbox and the phase 1 airbox?

is it just larger volume? would this make any difference over the phase 1 airbox?

If the only thing you are going to whinge about is the price of the ITG AB65 based kit then please don't. It's low volume complex shape carbon fibre production - it's not going to be bloody cheap is it!!!!

It's also the only airbox that is a properly developed, simulated and tested product and It's used by a whole hose of race teams and manufacturers (including BPM).

You can't compare them to the likes of PiperCross Vipers or the K&N Carbon things - they are generic, stamped out, cheaply made things with plenty of markup in them for the retailers that are targeted at boyo's who want to make noise. Sorry but thats the truth - K&N have the most fantastic markup I've ever seen!!!

Stick with the standard airbox and filter, if you need more flow capacity an ITG replacement filter with standard foam makeup will give you around 7% more flow, Touring car spec foam will give you around 11% more at the expense of some filtration (as always filtration requirement is balanced against engine life expectancy and oil change interval). If you want to go to town stick the full dogs doodah AB65 carbon box on it and be happy that you aren't going to get anything better in the bay without moving everything bar the engine and box.

Oh and for those with shallow pockets ITG do a spun alloy version of the AB airboxes - albeit based on the none right angle inlet/outlet design (like the AB65). If you can package one in the car they start at 135 quid + the filter.

Cheers
M

Boggo setup is fine unless you are making 200bhp odd. Which you won't do on the standard inlet manifold. Hence don't worry about it until you change that.

Cheers
M

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
its already changed :)

albeit my car tuning knowledge is not extensive, i do know a fair bit more than the average 172 cup owner.

thanks for the advice

RS RIP
have seen these ITG maxogen's in alloy (aluminium?) ; EXACT same dimensoins as the carbon one, well in fact it's a alloy maxogen !

Price is right too. BUT when i have just custom mapped my car to suit my cams + exhaust manifold and V6 (Espace) airbox, will i have to tweak my map once more for this maxogen ??

(i'm thinking the V6 box is so big that torque might slightly be lowered by this , so the maxogen being smaller will win some?)

have seen these ITG maxogen's in alloy (aluminium?) ; EXACT same dimensoins as the carbon one, well in fact it's a alloy maxogen !

Price is right too. BUT when i have just custom mapped my car to suit my cams + exhaust manifold and V6 (Espace) airbox, will i have to tweak my map once more for this maxogen ??

(i'm thinking the V6 box is so big that torque might slightly be lowered by this , so the maxogen being smaller will win some?)

i would imagine so yes, when kevo66 fitted and induction kit to his cammed 197 it cost him 16bhp :O