ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airflow. The best std airbox setup.

Dodgy one
+1. Hence why all the Gti6 boys stopped doing it with their K&N's ...

Big puddle = hydrolock

Nonsense Dave, It all added to the fun with a 6 ;)

But yeah it happened a few times for those who dont believe him, I was a close one when i managed to submerge half my K&N in the floods! Switching off and putting wellies on FTMFW :D

Golf GT & A4 Avant
To the OP, running the CAF directly into the filter box will help to keep a cold air supply, but the bends and ridges in the ducting will restrict airflow, hence why peeople change the induction elbow for a nice smooth Samco or JMS bend

I ran a V6 box with CAF direct from the foglight straight onto the large 100mm inlet. This lost me power. removing it away from the inlet of the airbox so in theory it blew cold air towards the airbox inlet worked much better as it had the colder air at higher speed, but the airflow wasn't restricted as it could such in air from around the headlight and lower arch, as said before, is a cold spot anyway. lift your bonnet and look 2" to the left of the headlight, there is a shaped piece of metal to catch air from the upper grille directing it towards the battery.

I'm currently still running the V6 air box with a silicone hose approx 12" long running towards the arch, I've then cut the front of the hose so it can receive air from this guide in the grille and from the headlight/ arch cold spot.

What you've siad about the venturi caused many debates about 5 turbo's, as they would enlarge the venturi at the base of the carb. can't remember if anything was ever proven.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
P1010002.gif

P1010003.gif

Last edited:
  Coupe/Defender V8
If you drive through a deep puddle with that setup, you will break your engine.

This. Even open cone you run the risk let alone a feed like that. I got super lucky with my K&N Car cut out before any damage was done. That you're just asking for trouble!

ClioSport 172 Cup
Just something to add Aucky. I believe mark or one of the cliosport members had the V6 airbox with CAF, he also removed the power steering. On the dyno he got bhp and torque gains from the V6 Airbox!
I have a V6 Airbox on my car and I don`t get any throttle delay, if anything the beasty pulls hard all through the revs, it works very well with the RS Tuner maps and is a definite improvement on the standard airbox. The major thing that causes throttle delay is the Drive by wire!

Samuel

ClioSport 172 Cup
Just an idea Yellow dave regarding this cold spot behind the passenger side headlight, which I agree with as I have run various RS Tuner tests with the software and this is the safest spot. I`ve decided i`m going to fit my V6 Airbox in that corner with the 100m inlet pointing straight forward, then run some solid aluminium piping to the throttle body. This will allow coldest air and possibly reduce the vacuum drag on the piston when it goes down?

Samuel

320d
I was happy with the ph1 airbox with removed caf's on my 172. I felt it had a bit more response without the standard caf's, they seemed slightly restrictive. I'd be lieing if I said I did it for anything other than the induction noise it gave though.

Clio 172
  172 Cup
Sorry to bump an old thread but searching for airbox designs i feel the need to comment on some of the wrong statements in this thread.

The only way hydro lock will occur is if the inlet pipe is allowed to negatively pressurise do that it can 'pull' the water to the engine. If the caf isnt sealed to the airbox there will be no way of inducing this negative pressure. Remember air is much lighter than water therefore it will only pull in water if there are no other places it can pull air from. On my previous car I ran my filter about 3 inches from the floor on the end of a 3 inch insulate pipe and had no issues what so ever. I can only recall one issue with a similar setup when a guy was stupid enough to drive through a 2ft ford.