ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Coolent leak!

1.2 clio
If I start the car from cold with the Coolent to the max line there's no leak what so ever. When it gets warm there's some smoke/steam from the engine bay but can't see any leak Coolent gone down a little bit. But I let the car tick over on the drive got the engine fully hot temp gauge sitting at half way fan kicks in all good. Turn the engine off as I can't find where the leak is coming from all of a sudden it come out of what looks the be the radiator! Couldn't get a clear view as its covered by the fan but looks like the passengerside of the radiator.

Any comments would be a big help.

Cheers mark

The one you've linked is what's currently fitted to my car, had no issues with it so far. Only thing was it doesn't come with a plastic stop plug (idea is to use the plug from your old radiator) and with my old knackered radiator being the older style radiator it didn't even have a hole in it for a plug. Fortunately a mate had a spare plug.

Has the car had a new radiator in it's history do you know? If not you'll probably have the same issue yeah. Not sure where you could get a plug from tbh. Also check around the coolant pipes for white residue as it may be a coolant pipe that's leaking.

Reason I knew why mine was the radiator was because when I squeezed the lower coolant pipe that attaches to the rad you could see coolant pissing out of the radiator

1.2 clio
Yeah if got some white residue on the lower pipe on the passenger side but nothing is coming out of it just very wet in that area. I was checking all the pipe work when it leaked but it wasn't coming from the pipe work so I can only assume the radiator as the fan was covering it up.

Titanium 182
In my old ph1 the plastic stop plug had split down a thread and was leaking coolant. Best check this before buying a whole new rad like I did.

1.2 clio
Where abouts is this stop plug? Could any one upload a pic at all would be a big help so I know what I'm looking for.

Titanium 182
If you're leaning over the bumper looking down at the radiator from above in engine bay its at the very bottom right hand corner, if I remember right. I didn't even know it was there till I got the rad out and found it was leaking. It's facing horizontally towards the back of the engine bay.

mk 2 clio
Happened to me. Thought it was the water pump. So bought it and a new timing belt whilst it had to come off. In the end it was a pipe coming off the water pump that you couldn't see unless you took everything off it. Could be something that simple.

Titanium 182
I bought a new radiator came to fit it then realised it was the plug so nicked the new rads plug then returned it for full refund... Don't look at me like that.

1.2 clio
Lol! At least you got your money back I would have done the same mate. All sorted now guys new rad fitted as it was the rad and had to buy a plastic plug from Renault so all good now thanks guys!!!!!