ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 road going track car - on a budget!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Well after the sale of my 182....

P1020063.jpg

I found this on ebay....

ph11.jpg

ph12.jpg

ph13.jpg

Put in my maximum bid and it went for a bargain, so the following weekend I took the trip down to London to pick it up.

The initial test drive seemed fine but the 100 mile trip back home highlighted a few problems!

Got the car home and it wasn't even 1 hour before the car was modified! Picked these Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's off ebay for a good price.

P1020259.jpg

P1020266.jpg

P1020285.jpg

P1020283.jpg

Took it into work the next day to find the following faults:
  • 2 broken suspension springs
  • Bent NSF shock
  • NSF suspension ball joint had excessive play
  • ABS/Serv light needed a new NSF ABS sensor
  • Badly blowing centre section which was bodged together
  • Exhaust silencer and mounts knocking badly
  • Rear discs heavily corroded
So the same day we fitted a new ball joint and ABS sensor.

The car was already starting to drive better. Next up was definately the suspension! So after some searching around I decided on the JMS Vmax coilover setup.

Before getting the coilovers fitted I started stripping out the rear to make sure I got the desired ride height when the suspension was setup.

P1020344.jpg

The following weekend I took another trip down to London to see Tom and James at JMS. They are 2 top guys and they fitted and setup my coilovers.

Again the journey home was such a difference. Car felt loads tighter.

P1020342.jpg

P1020340.jpg

P1020343.jpg

Bought these seats to go in but once I'd got them home, I found I am too fat to fit in them lol!! So unforutantely I've had to sell them. Although I did keep the harnesses :)

P1020336.jpg

Then I set to work on finding a new exhaust. A used powerflow system came up in the for sale in section which I snapped up.

Just waiting for delivery on this and will be fitting it at the weekend.

Also bought a rear strut brace, so have got that to fit too. Although I know it wont make much difference I think they look good! Just think it will look better than a completely bare boot!

More pics and updates to follow at the weekend....

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Is that a nankang ditch finder? :)

Looking good, no rear platforms for you then? cheeky ;)

Mk5 golf gti
omg i owned that car your not gonna like it..............but i smashed it up big time lol

Discounted 1*2 parts
looks good mate, kinda want a ph1... you said it had an ally bonnet too didnt you?

Yes it has mate, can't believe how light they are!

Although i'm still fixing things on the ph1 I think i'm enjoying it more than my 182 :)

Discounted 1*2 parts
omg i owned that car your not gonna like it..............but i smashed it up big time lol

I know its been in a crash, as the paintwork is shite from a respray and the NSF was bent but seems ok now.....

Feel free to pm me more details :)

Mk5 golf gti
niice :) good to see it alive if you seen the state it was left in
im sending pics to my mates now :) as they wont beleive it lol
i love it though always wanted back my phase one

CLIO PH1 172
love this and will be watching very closely as iv got a ph1 project on a budget going on to lol :D good luck with it!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Shame about the seats, I have the exact same ones with the same harnesses too and I love them.

Good luck with the build!

Discounted 1*2 parts
update :)

fitted rear strut brace (bought off here for £30)

P1020364.jpg

Had 4 new michelin pe2's fitted, wow what a difference tyres can make (less than £50 a corner :D)

P1020362.jpg

P1020361.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice updates, you say your on a budget but you have spent more than I have in 6 months on those tyres lol :D Get the front end stripped out, carpet weighs a ton.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Nice updates, you say your on a budget but you have spent more than I have in 6 months on those tyres lol :D Get the front end stripped out, carpet weighs a ton.

Hopefully getting bimarcos tomorrow so will be stripping it out when they are fitted :)

Oh yea and my budget is basically the money i free'd up from selling the 182 :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yeh I was speaking to Danny about them, said you where coming down to get them in the morning :) Might cya over there!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Oh s**t I aint gunna be over there that early, spend the whole of today on the car I need abit of a break :) Yeah they will just bolt right in, easy! :D I need some new seats :(

Discounted 1*2 parts
Oh s**t I aint gunna be over there that early, spend the whole of today on the car I need abit of a break :) Yeah they will just bolt right in, easy! :D I need some new seats :(

Lol i need to get up early got loads to do tomorrow, got the sport kit ready to go on the missus dci :)

Discounted 1*2 parts
So, picked up the bimarco futuras from danny this morning, got some more stripping done today and drivers seat fitted, just got to drill the holes on the passenger subframe to be fitted in the week

P1020366.jpg

P1020367.jpg

Standard seats out

P1020370.jpg

Carpets out

P1020371.jpg

Door cards off

P1020372.jpg

Subframes and side mounts in

P1020374.jpg

Seat and harness in

P1020375.jpg

P1020376.jpg

Quick pic of front coilovers whilst jacked up :)

P1020377.jpg

Gunna go drive it now :D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
lovely :)

I had the fun job of getting rid of all that black s**t around the doors yesterday, was kinda messy but got there in the end!

Last edited:
  Discounted 1*2 parts
lol at you 2!!

hopefully get the powerflow system tomorrow, and as for the flocked dash.........we'll see how the rest of the bugdet goes :D

Got all the tar to remove at some point

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Mine will be in the car within next few weeks :)

Cant tell from your photos, but mine are on Extra low frames mated with the JMS Clio Sliders.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Mine will be in the car within next few weeks :)

Cant tell from your photos, but mine are on Extra low frames mated with the JMS Clio Sliders.

Danny had his dad make the subframes. I dont think the seat would go much lower as the subframe is pretty much flat to the floor

Discounted 1*2 parts
Got my exhaust yesterday and it started to go on this afternoon. The old exhaust mounts were shagged and held together with what looked like fishing wire!! So gunna treat mysefl to a couple of new mounts too!

When we went to remove the rear mount, 2 of the bolts were sheared off so had to drill those out too!!

P1020378.jpg

P1020380.jpg

Powerflow exhaust, ready to go on in the morning. Not 100% sure on the tailpipe style but couldnt grumble for £100 :)

P1020379.jpg