ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Vs Ph2

Im having a dilema.

I love the look of Ph1 172 and intend on buying one in a months time.

However, my CTR owning friends are piling on the pressure to go for the cup, which I think lacks the styling of the original sporty beast!

Who out there has maybe owned both? Or can give me a good comparison?

At the end of the day it comes down to which one you like the look of most as styling seems to be the biggest factor in your decision from what you say. Go for the one YOU like the best, try and test drive both and go from there.

Nice advice Daipac, but I dont want to be lagging behind when out with CTRs and Cups!

Should I compramise looks for Handling and speed? Or send my insurance through the roof and mod a Ph1?

Mate, according to several reports it shows the MKI 172 to be faster than the MKII 172, these stats seem to change from source to source so I would not worry about speed. Yes the Cup is the fastest of the standard 172 range but then you do lose equipment like leather seats, ABS, climate control (it is an option on the Cup tho), Xenon headlamps, etc.

I personally went for the MKII 172 cos I think it looks better IMHO, different people like the different versions. You have to pick the version you like best considering all the factors : looks, speed, handling, equipment, cost, etc.

Whatever one you get you will not be lagging far behind the CTR and Cup anyway, there is not a million miles difference.

S2000

I had a Mk1 for 18 months and put 60k on it. Ive now had the Cup for 17 months.

I used to love my Mk1 and it was damn fast for some reason. Racing against my wifes it was faster every time. But my Cup is faster still, very quick car. I wasnt very keen on the looks of the Mk2 when they first came out but now I think I prefer them. Well, the Cup anyway with the addition of the front splitter and the wheels and mine being lowered as well makes it look pretty fat.

If you really prefer the looks of one over the other and that really matters to you then go for that. But if you dont have a preference on looks and you dont want or dont mind not having the extra equipment go for the Cup. Given the choice I would do the same again every time.

S2000

P.S. my cup is for sale ;)

But that was an honest reply though, not just trying to make you buy it lol

Quote: Originally posted by Slugger on 05 February 2004

;)
go and do some work you !! - "faster than my wife" I dont believe you had a wife and a Mk1 did you ???

agree with what he says though !! Cup is great fun, and is def. faster !!

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 05 February 2004

;)
go and do some work you !! - "faster than my wife" I dont believe you had a wife and a Mk1 did you ???

Yea, his Cup is stupidly quick.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 05 February 2004

;)

haha and you, you said you had stuff to do. Go do it ;)

MK1 every time for me. Ive got one and have only ever seen 2 or 3 on the road around Newcastle - the MK11s are ten a penny. It may take a while to find one though, I looked for mine for about 4 months.

just sold my blue mk 1 172,best thing i did,and swapped for a flame red mk2,

mk2 looks better,the mk1 always needed bigger wheels,although i loved the front of the car more agressive than mk2.

the mk1 i would say is marginally quicker to 60 mph,the mk2 more refined and loads less steering wheel wrestling when nailing it in 2nd gear.

mk2 has much better gearing especially 5th.

mk2 more of a quality car,interior details, auto xenon lights, auto wipers,climate cont not aircon,rides better,grips better,quiter on motorway

the mk1 was a superb car,,but mk2 a little better in most departments.

looks are personal pref ,i think the right colour makes a big difference!

both cars are ace but if you can afford it go for a mk2 is my personal opinion.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Agree with the aggresive front end on a mk1 - like the fact that the grille looks like a ph2 2 valver or willy one.. nice touch I feel...

Id have a mk1 for the rarity and the fact it was the original version but that interior always puts me off - its sooo girly compared to the mk2 - I know theres not much of a difference but I pickup on the little thing quite a lot.

My 24ps worth.