ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 driveshafts.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening.
Does anybody know where to get 172 phase 1 OEM driveshafts from? I'm going to 'need' both sides, nothing at all wrong with the ones I've got but I'm intending to replace almost every component I can with new Renault OEM parts on my barn find. I think it would be a shame to replace all the suspension etc with fresh parts and slap 100k mile drive shafts back in!

Ta,
Jack.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Evening.
Does anybody know where to get 172 phase 1 OEM driveshafts from? I'm going to 'need' both sides, nothing at all wrong with the ones I've got but I'm intending to replace almost every component I can with new Renault OEM parts on my barn find. I think it would be a shame to replace all the suspension etc with fresh parts and slap 100k mile drive shafts back in!

Ta,
Jack.
The bad news is that Ph1 OE shafts have been discontinued by Renault, & the aftermarket ones are apparently made of cheese

.@chris
blue

One option open to you is fit the wider spaced Ph2 front subframe and use 172 Cup driveshafts, though these are now £370 a side OE from Ktec racing

Shaftec R209AR & R209AL are around £100 a side, and a friend has experienced no problems to date with Shaftec in 50k miles of use.

You can still buy a RH 182 OE & LH 182 Cup shaft, though you have to swap the 15mm ABS ring for a 7.5mm on the 182 Cup shaft.

https://www.k-tecracing.com/search.asp?catid=45

Also you would need a mid bearing support housing 8200186845 from a 182 or non Cup 172 Ph2, and I`m not sure if the F4R 730, 732 blocks have mountings to fit one.

You will need to check the rear of your block.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
@MicKPM was refurbishing some phase 1 shafts for someone recently using genuine Renault cv's and boots kits etc, wasn't cheap and he's probably bought last of the stock, but you never know

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yep, Ive averaged a driveshaft every 1 year for my 4 years of ownership. Certainly not made to last if you like throwing the vehicle about a bit.

My last drivers side brand new one (Autodoc from Germany) lasted less than 12 months and my Mechanic got the money back on it, (He showed me a hairline crack on a joint housing causing the collapse) and put a good used one in for me. Out of 4 good used driveshafts he had, only one was the correct length. The phase 1, and very early phse 2's are a few mm shorter than later versions- has caused me loadsa issues in the past.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Stunning, cheers for the replies, will more than likely be looking at the shaftec ones if I replace them, there isn't much play in the shafts so I could just tidy them up and put new boots on, unsure yet.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk