ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 gearbox trouble

Phase 1 172
Hi, I am having no luck with this car. My gearbox or diff is making a clicking/metallic noise when jacked up and spinning the wheels. It clicks like a CV joint when turning right. This is why i think it is the diff.
It all sounds expensive, but in the meantime is there a gearbox i can put in to replace it? I mean out of any other clio or renault? I just want one that will fit with the right splines for the shafts.
Any gearbox options info is appreciated.

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi, I am having no luck with this car. My gearbox or diff is making a clicking/metallic noise when jacked up and spinning the wheels. It clicks like a CV joint when turning right. This is why i think it is the diff.
It all sounds expensive, but in the meantime is there a gearbox i can put in to replace it? I mean out of any other clio or renault? I just want one that will fit with the right splines for the shafts.
Any gearbox options info is appreciated.

Thanks
They all make a noise when they’re jacked up, so I’d advise that you drop the oil out of it and make sure the oil has no debris/particles in it.

The gearbox code you have is a jc5 089. You ideally want another one of those, or a 129 - this gearbox has a speedo drive as does your 089. I can’t comment on what other jc5’s have a speedo drive though I’m afraid.

Is the gearbox making any noises/whining when you’re driving it?

Phase 1 172
hi,
its got new oil in it as i was doing the passenger driveshaft but the new one was 20mm too long!! so it was empty when i took that off. i thought it was the cv joint clicking but it seemed fine when i removed it. i thought it could be the diff clicking like a cv joint when i turn right.
so when the car is jacked up and i spin the wheels by hand, the bottom of the gearbox sounds like a whirring noise, this happens on both sides. there was a small drone noise like a wheel bearing coming from it too when i drive.
i think it has just been abused before i got it :(
i was out in it today, its so difficult to pin point the noise as it is stripped out and noisy.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
hi,
its got new oil in it as i was doing the passenger driveshaft but the new one was 20mm too long!! so it was empty when i took that off. i thought it was the cv joint clicking but it seemed fine when i removed it. i thought it could be the diff clicking like a cv joint when i turn right.
so when the car is jacked up and i spin the wheels by hand, the bottom of the gearbox sounds like a whirring noise, this happens on both sides. there was a small drone noise like a wheel bearing coming from it too when i drive.
i think it has just been abused before i got it :(
i was out in it today, its so difficult to pin point the noise as it is stripped out and noisy.
Right ok fair enough. Well there’s a strong possibility that there’s an unhappy bearing in there then if you can hear a droning noise.

Unfortunately these cars were built in the knowledge that they were going to be abused.

But the diff will make noises when it’s jacked up.

Phase 1 172
hi, im going to the nurburgring and my diff is noisy on over run. its now making a buzzing vibrating noise from high revs ( its coming from the footwell) . i have 2 weeks to get a gearbox, otherwise its gunna be stress. i could just take it as it is buy knowing my luck im best to fix it.
will any jc5 gearbox fit? i see some are for hydraulic clutches, some cable.
i don't car about ratios, or speedo £100 mph is fast enough for me. I just wanna get one quick and put it in.
the other question is, since it is the diff. can i buy a jc5 box and just fit the diff?

thanks again guys any help here is appreciated. i think i have replaced everything on this car in 6 months and its still a pain in the a$$

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
hi, im going to the nurburgring and my diff is noisy on over run. its now making a buzzing vibrating noise from high revs ( its coming from the footwell) . i have 2 weeks to get a gearbox, otherwise its gunna be stress. i could just take it as it is buy knowing my luck im best to fix it.
will any jc5 gearbox fit? i see some are for hydraulic clutches, some cable.
i don't car about ratios, or speedo £100 mph is fast enough for me. I just wanna get one quick and put it in.
the other question is, since it is the diff. can i buy a jc5 box and just fit the diff?

thanks again guys any help here is appreciated. i think i have replaced everything on this car in 6 months and its still a pain in the a$$
I’ve got a 089/129 gearbox that I can rebuild and supply if you’re still looking for one?

Phase 1 172
thanks but, i can just get my own one rebuilt. it was more a question if i could fit a random box from a 1.2 or similar for £150 sort of thing.

renault things :(

thanks

Phase 1 172
my thought is to risk it and get it fixed when i get back

i had it on the ramp 2 days ago and noticed if i spun the passenger wheel, the shaft coming out the diff on the drivers side moves in and out as its rotated. i took both the shafts out and there is end float and when i push it in, its a clicking noise as i rotate. if i pull it out, it seems to mesh mesh better. i know thats probably confusing what i have just wrote. the diff clicks but seems to still be working? who knows what is wrong with it lol.

i would take it out before but just seems such a huge job with the cradle etc

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
my thought is to risk it and get it fixed when i get back

i had it on the ramp 2 days ago and noticed if i spun the passenger wheel, the shaft coming out the diff on the drivers side moves in and out as its rotated. i took both the shafts out and there is end float and when i push it in, its a clicking noise as i rotate. if i pull it out, it seems to mesh mesh better. i know thats probably confusing what i have just wrote. the diff clicks but seems to still be working? who knows what is wrong with it lol.

i would take it out before but just seems such a huge job with the cradle etc
You’ll probably find that the diff is worn internally - namely the planet gears have worn into the casing. It’s boot unusual to see tbh, but it means you’d need a new diff regardless.

I know the exact noise you’re describing and I can confirm the noise when up in the air is normal. As is the driveshaft moving in and out whilst rotating.

The noises you need to worry about on a jc5 are rotational noises when driving. 9/10 that means the mainshaft bearing has failed and you’re on borrowed time.

Phase 1 172
ah cool, thats good to know. i have clicking, sounds like a cv joint when it is on hard lock and a slight whiring noise when its cold driiving in a straight line. i know its borrowed time and have just accepted. it still drives fine but i expect it to break down any second!

good to hear the input from an expert, i have spoke to loads of people and they are really unsure what is wrong.

all i know is it does need fixed, and im booked up for germany. so we are going regardless, i might get there i might not. i might get back or i might not?

from what you are saying, i do think the main shaft bearing has failed and its now causing all the other issues

thanks

Phase 1 172
made it! these gearboxes dont break!

Attachments

• Leah_Dio__Caracciola-Karussell.jpg
    Leah_Dio__Caracciola-Karussell.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23