ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase1 Thtottle body replacement

Ph1 Clio 172
Hello,

I have a problem with the throttle. The infamous "sticky throttle" 😅
I tried cleaning and re-lubing it as explained at the guides section. It didn't change a thing!
Then I realized that it wasn't positioned right. The axle was aligned to one side much more than to the other.
I removed the "cir-clip", puled the axle to align it properly, and closed with the cir-clip.
It worked! (for a month until now).
Now it starting to show signs of the problem again. :weary:

I searched for a new throttle, but every one I checked with (Including the Renault official dealers.) said that they doesn't have a new one, and when they tried to order it from UK or France, the answer was that Renault don't make it no more.

Is there any replacement throttle from other model (magane, scenic, ect..), that will fit the Ph1 cliosport (cable throttle)?
Or an aftermarket one?
Any other advice to fix it will accepted gladly!

Thank you!

Ph1 Clio 172
Oddly It was posted here. :eek:penmouth:
I will be glad if one of the admins could move it to the "Engine, Gearbox, Exhausts & Running Gear" section.

Mec 350 slk manual
H
Hello,

I have a problem with the throttle. The infamous "sticky throttle" 😅
I tried cleaning and re-lubing it as explained at the guides section. It didn't change a thing!
Then I realized that it wasn't positioned right. The axle was aligned to one side much more than to the other.
I removed the "cir-clip", puled the axle to align it properly, and closed with the cir-clip.
It worked! (for a month until now).
Now it starting to show signs of the problem again. :weary:

I searched for a new throttle, but every one I checked with (Including the Renault official dealers.) said that they doesn't have a new one, and when they tried to order it from UK or France, the answer was that Renault don't make it no more.

Is there any replacement throttle from other model (magane, scenic, ect..), that will fit the Ph1 cliosport (cable throttle)?
Or an aftermarket one?
Any other advice to fix it will accepted gladly!

Thank you!
I was looking into this as well and was going down the line of Removing the spring on the side and getting a new one made same thickness but a bit more tension and was going to try that

Ph1 Clio 172
Is it possible to remove the spring?
Its seems that the spring's plastic cover isn't detachable.

you can remove the star clip and remove the butterfly itself then the shaft and the spring will come out, did you replace the star clip? if this isnt tight ive seen it allow lateral movement of the shaft causing the butterfly to stick?

Ph1 Clio 172
Oh, so I should come out from the other side..
Thats make more sense :up:

I didn't replace the star clip.
When I put the clip back on the shaft end, at first it was over tight and the butterfly almost couldn't move, so I puled the clip "wings" back a little..
It can loosen up over time? Because It worked perfect almost a month.

Mec 350 slk manual
Have you tryed Renault Wolverhampton in the trade section on here ? A new tb is a round £400 now and are on back order ,when you start cleaning the tb with carb cleaner you end up stripping the grease out of them and the become a pain in the butt to correct as I learnt .

Ph1
I bought one last year from Renault but it took about 3 months to come (made to order maybe??) and as said is was near on 400 quid which is a complete rip off.

Cleaning and re lubing is only good as a temp measure. The problem is the spring loses its tension.

Mec 350 slk manual
There is a company that makes and supplies all types of springs and delivers to my work place and I was going to strip the spring off one and see if they could make me one with more tension to see if that fixes the problem

Ph1 Clio 172
I will try at Renault Wolverhampton.

From what I experienced, the cleaning and re lubing won't fix it, because the problem is that the axle isn't in the center. That cause the butterfly to touch the throttle body itself, and preventing from closing.

Mar172 - is there any email or site for that company? (hopefully they can handle international orders).
And from what I understand you will need to give them the original spring, right?

Mec 350 slk manual
Correct soon as I strip my spare one down I will give it to the guy and see what he can make hopefully this will fix the problem, I will keep you posted

2000 Renault Clio RS
I've got the infamous TB-problem as well.. When the butterfly is fully open, i can move it 2 mm back and forth laterally, which I guess is one of the reasons for the wear on the TB itself, as well as the butterfly on the spring side, and probably even the brass bushings. Also; am I the only one who's weirded out by the fact that false air could potentially be pulled in where the TPS is seated, as it does not cover the hole completely on the PH1 with the mechanical throttle?
For now i've Carb-cleaned, and white-greased the thing, and it's definately better, but still quite clear that it's only a temporary fix, and even now, it still sits at 2000 RPM idle most of the time.

If anyone has any good advice on what to do here, i'll be all ears! Cheers from Denmark.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I've got the infamous TB-problem as well..
If anyone has any good advice on what to do here, i'll be all ears! Cheers from Denmark.

I had this for couple months messing around. Idle fluctuated wildly between 600 revs and 3000 revs in traffic. Tried throttle cable change (Twice) and it helped, tried carb cleaning and greasing up, that helped. But could still see the spindle moving as you do. Cleaned the ICV too, that helped.
Then bought a used throttle body (From here) and that was best of the lot, but still had sticky issues with it, just a tadge. (Mainly the revs not dropping enough when changing gear)

I then sent the original throttle body for an £80 refurb off ebay and fitted that, and that was great for 6 weeks. Had to crack the idle screw and tinker to get to 900 revs at idle. Then that started playing up a little.

The saw a guaranteed for 3months ICV on ebay for £20, and fitted that, believe it or not, that sorted all the problems to this day :smile::tongueout::grinning:

So- mine was a bit of everything I think, but the ICV was the Ace in the pack. Wish I had replaced rather than clean it first to be honest, but doubt it would have cured all the problems I first had

Ive also got the replacement throttle body I bought off here, and have no reason to believe there is any problem with it whatsoever?

My tip-perserverance. and a permutation of all, or some of the above :smile::tongueout::grinning::hearteyes:

172 Ph1
I recently took mine apart , had the spindle shaft out and cleaned it all up as it moved sideways .

The graunchiness at the beginning of part open throttle has gone completely , and I am positive it'll be ok , but I won't know if it's ok until I've fitted it .

6ff5f17e48ca72b2abcd252881815c22.jpg

534e91e93e0c468c9c657582f8900b4c.jpg

2000 Renault Clio RS
Thank's a bunch for the reply to both of you. Since i wrote, I have been to my locale mechanic, who called Renault to get the news that the Throttle body is no longer in production, and can't be bought at all (at least in Denmark). Part of that story is probably that there are only 6 cars of my model registered in Denmark, and they have actually never been sold here, but have all been imported at some point. My mechanic recomended taking it apart and trying to make the inside of the TB smooth with fine grain sand paper..

So for now that is what i plan to do, along with taking it apart completely, and cleaning and lubing til spring as well. My butterfly i worn most right beneath the shaft, on the spring side. Should i perhaps try and flip it before reassembling it or would this be a bad idea?

Also, after reading chris blues reply, I have ordered this ICV off ebay, though i doubt that this alone will fix my problems, but with it's somewhat manageble price, i definately want to rule it out as part of the problem: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-S...+Sport&hash=item460f73d42b:g:qwIAAMXQj9xRljYI

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
When I went to buy a throttle body gasket the guy in the parts department quoted me £300 as he thought I wanted a new throttle body so from that I think they are still available.

Also I think the only genuine fix for this is to fit ITBs......

2000 Renault Clio RS
I was quoted a price as well, but 1 min later, I was told that though he could give me the price, he could not sell me the part.. Maybe they have stocks elsewhere in the world, but not in Denmark..

Individual throttlebody would be sweet as heck, but from what i can see, it's quite a bit more than I can justify spending..

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I don't know why people waste time trying to clean these ropey things, they are worn out after 17 years of use and should be binned. Just order a new one from Renault Wolverhampton (they're on Ebay) or buy another car. Hope that helped :tonguewink:

Ph1
They wear out after about 4 to 5 years of use.
Silas, a Laguna, not sure which engine size or year, shares pretty much the same throttle body as the ph1.

172 Ph1
I don't know why people waste time trying to clean these ropey things, they are worn out after 17 years of use and should be binned. Just order a new one from Renault Wolverhampton (they're on Ebay) or buy another car. Hope that helped :tonguewink:

Do you have a link fella [emoji2]

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
When i enquired i was told they were no longer available! Have since been looking for a rebuild kit with no luck. AT power have a suitable item but its £300 before you add a new TPS sensor

Ph1
Jenvey also do one but it's 70mm.

400+ from Renault a couple of years ago on special order. If they have stopped doing them then aftermarket ones is going to be the only option unless someone can make replacement springs

172 Ph1
Jenvey also do one but it's 70mm.

400+ from Renault a couple of years ago on special order. If they have stopped doing them then aftermarket ones is going to be the only option unless someone can make replacement springs

Thanks for that bit of info , but at that price I'll still continue to clean my ropey 17 year old throttle [emoji12].

I'll have a look into other poss renault ones also [emoji1303]

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I have found cleaning them makes no difference to the sticky throttle problem. The issue lies with the spring becoming tired and expanding, therefore rubbing on the plastic wheel the throttle cable goes around. If you look a the spring there is always a shiny slightly flat spot where it rubs causing the sticky throttle.

I will be replacing with an AT power item over winter

dan's cast offs.
don't know the model but one of the honda ones is a close fit. can check tomorrow but anyone know the diameter and pcd?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
64mm internal diameter from memeory on the PH1 cable body, pcd for fixing holes is 70 something but cant remember the exact figure. I'll measure it if i remember later

dan's cast offs.
64mm internal diameter from memeory on the PH1 cable body, pcd for fixing holes is 70 something but cant remember the exact figure. I'll measure it if i remember later

cheers, keep meaning to measure up but always remember when i'm sat at home though not in work. got loads of the bloody things there.

Clio 172 turbo
Hi forget about cleaning ur original TB. Get one of a megane or mk 1 laguna. .same part and more available second hand., I use the megane in my ph1 172

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I cant see that being a solution to the sticky throttle as they will be of the same age, mileage etc. therefore have the same issues?