ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone, which one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Currently got a p20 pro, due an upgrade in July. It has been faultless.

Do fancy an iPhone again but not at £70 a month. So the newer ones are a no go.
I currently pay £34 with EE.

Options are. iPhone 8 plus, maybe buy outright (its my birthday in two weeks) and go sim only at £15/£20 a month.

Newer phone maybe push the boat at £40, anymore and I just can't justify it.

Has anyone gone from say a p20 or similar to an iPhone 8, Se etc. I do like having the newer phone but like I say not at the amount they are.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I've had a Sony Xperia for the last 2 phones and they have been great. Currently on an Xperia Premium XZ

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Pixel 4 is showing from £35 pm on EE (Not sure what plan you have)I personally wouldn't be going to an 8 looking at the spec of them now.
Sony are a decent shout. The wife's had them for years and the only issue was with one that fell into the bath (Pre waterproofing)
Why not just go sim only for a while and stick with your P20?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
iPhone 11 is under £40 month now easily?

mines £42 on 02 with 90gb data and I’ve had it since last year.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Samsung all the way for me can also buy sim free intrest free direct from samsung.
A71 and A51 good spec and decent price too.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Will check out the 11. My plan is 20gb which Is plenty.

I also get 10/20% loyalty or used too which has always worked out quite well.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
i've recently swapped from an S9+ to an 11 pro, having previously only ever had Apple. Took a bit of getting used to at first, but i much prefer the iPhone interface.
surprising that the battery is lasting me all day, even though i've been working from home and bashing it loads. My Samsung would generally need plugging in in the afternoon.

133T
£25ish for the 11 on Sky mobile. 20gb. That’s a 3 year deal though with the option to swap after 24 months. Not sure if any good, just fyi.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
One thing I’ve noticed about the Samsung’s, two at work and both have a sort of nicotine yellow look to the screen colour? my (old) iPhone 7+ seems to have a much fresher look to the colour tint.

I’ve been tempted to try different phones over the years (well I did once with a HTC but that lasted a week) but iOS just seems easier to use for me.

I get frustrated very quickly with other brand’s menu systems. Also I could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had to actually switch off my iphones even going back to the original. The HTC I tried stuttered and froze more times in a day than 10+ years (or however long they’ve been out) of iPhone ownership.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The iPhone XR isn’t overly expensive anymore is it?

I just bought the handset outright (a year or so ago) on my credit card as worked out cheaper than a contract.. then I got a £25 a month all singing all dancing tarrif.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mate has the xr before that the 8 plus. He hasn't noticed loads of difference.

At the moment XR or se2 are my go to kill time by endlessly comparing

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ive had the XR since it came out.. 38 per month for 100gb, sky sports etc. Great phone.. dropped it a million times and the screen only has a slight crack 😂

Battery last well over a day too.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Biggest annoyance for me with the modern phone design is the stupid curved screen.

My favourite design was the iPhone 4s. With a slim case and glass screen protector it was safe as houses.

My 7+ with the stupid curved screen... put a screen protector on and it left a gap between the screen protector and the case edge. Of course within the first weeks of ownership it came out my pocket and as laid on it under a car, slim stone in the only unprotected part and broke the screen edge!

One thing I’ve noticed about the Samsung’s, two at work and both have a sort of nicotine yellow look to the screen colour? my (old) iPhone 7+ seems to have a much fresher look to the colour tint.

I’ve been tempted to try different phones over the years (well I did once with a HTC but that lasted a week) but iOS just seems easier to use for me.

I get frustrated very quickly with other brand’s menu systems. Also I could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had to actually switch off my iphones even going back to the original. The HTC I tried stuttered and froze more times in a day than 10+ years (or however long they’ve been out) of iPhone ownership.
You can change the screen white balance in settings from a yellowy tinge to a blueish white

It's a blue light filter, can turn it off. It's meant to reduce eye strain i think.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Same boat as my missus, ready to upgrade her P20 Pro. I told her to look at iPhone SE2 but she said she couldn't go to a smaller screen now... was about to pull the trigger on the iPhone 11 then she realised it doesn't come with AirPods, only EarPods :D whoops.

She got annoyed and hasn't spoken about upgrading since lol, so we will see.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah we got the phone around the same time?. Spoken to Ee about two contracts

Have emailed the lad about an XR for me. Have £117 buy out and upfront cost for the phone, £30 iirc. I doubt he will go for it lol

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I am in the same boat mate, due for an upgrade this month, currently have a S8 which has been really good, £30 with 10gb i think, would like an S20 but they are just too expensive, don't want an iphone, and apart from a HTC had Samsung's all the way, i will probably end up with an S10.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yes................... no like scared that i buy one, and then someone like google blocks it products being used on them etc, didn't they limit it's use or something a while ago over a spying row?
Don't think you need to worry about the 20/30. It's the newest one that comes without Google's store. I'm sure Google are still supporting the software updates for the 20/30 for 2 years (should probably double check that though)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Don't think you need to worry about the 20/30. It's the newest one that comes without Google's store. I'm sure Google are still supporting the software updates for the 20/30 for 2 years (should probably double check that though)

Ah right, may have a look then..... (y)