ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plate removal

Maz

LY 200
Going to be changing my number plate and need to know what is the best way to remove all the white sticky stuff they are stuck on with please ???

Goint to put the new one on with velco (sp) pads :D

FF Blackgold 182
I was gonna ask the same thing, as I don't want to advertise the Renault Garage anymore!

106 GTi
Heat the white sticky residue up with a hair dryer and remove it the best you can peeling it off. Autoglym Tar and Adhesive remover on the rest. Took me ages to do mine.

Also heat the whole plate up first and it hopefully should not leave much residue when you remove it.

FF Blackgold 182
Rich, do you have to heat the plate up before trying to remove it? Mine doesn't seem to want to budge one bit.

FF Blackgold 182
Cool, cheers Rich. Not gonna get private plates, just ones without the dealer names and maybe a border or something.

Maz

LY 200
Heat the white sticky residue up with a hair dryer and remove it the best you can peeling it off. Autoglym Tar and Adhesive remover on the rest. Took me ages to do mine.

Also heat the whole plate up first and it hopefully should not leave much residue when you remove it.

Cheers Rich your a :star:

a dab of hydrochloric acid removed it on mine

I won't be going anywhere near my car with acid .. pmsl I had a bad enough experience with a touch up pen :rolleyes: lol

Leon Cupra 300
i ripped the plate off then used a combination of white spirit and meths to get the goo off... scratching at it with a teaspoon but took ages

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I won't be going anywhere near my car with acid .. pmsl I had a bad enough experience with a touch up pen :rolleyes: lol

Women...

Seriously though, if you take care, there's no reason for it to damage the car. Touch up pens are w**k generally anyway.

Off topic, but the best way forward for chips and scratches is to get the bumper and bonnet in pristine condition (respray perhaps). Then get a clear-bra. Basically a layer of clear vynil that goes over your paint work at the front to protect the paint against chips and scratches. Well worth it.

On topic. Hair drying, and just sit there on a stool picking at it for a while. Not as if it all needs to come off, just enough for the velcro to stick well to the paint. Make sure you get decent velcro too.

Maz

LY 200
All of it does need to come off .. MEN !! if your going to do a job may aswell do it right ;) lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Fair enough, I personally wouldn't bother !!

I would even use a wallpaper scraper if it came to it.. Not as if you get to see that bit of the paint :rasp:

Maz

LY 200
Will see how I get on with Rich's suggestion as that seems the safest option for me lol

Cheers for the advice :)

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
honest marie, white spirits is fine, i did this on my black 182 and my silver one! all thats left to do at the end is polish it up, i use to dip the tooth brush in the white spirits, soak the pads, and it comes off very easy!!

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Just remember once you've put the velcro'd plates on, not to wash your car straight after - the adhesive takes some time to bond, and doesn't like water during that time... As I discovered when both my plates fell off :eek:. Thankfully I dried them off and slapped them back in place and they stuck ok in the end...

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
aren't velcro plates illegal ? as its not securely fastenned to the car, and the pigs will say that you might commit a crime ? i would check before you velcro your plates on

Leon Cupra 300
i love my velcro plates.... i pull them off and chuck them in the boot when in my mates permit only place. that ticket jus gets binned then sorted :D