ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plato in an MG for BTCC

There is no "own" unit in the terms of MG, because there's no point running a bloody K series.

A few teams ran their "own" turbo units last year opposed to the TOCA issue NGTC unit, Team Dynamics Honda being the main ones.

Oil Burner
There is no "own" unit in the terms of MG, because there's no point running a bloody K series.

A few teams ran their "own" turbo units last year opposed to the TOCA issue NGTC unit, Team Dynamics Honda being the main ones.

Does the new 6 still run a K series!? If they are putting up the investment to run a 3 year program it seems sensible to have someone build them a decent engine.

A few of those other teams running Turbo engines from their car's group in 2011 were as far as i can remember Motorbase, Aon, AMD Miltek, STR, Dynojet, RAR, Team Dynamics.

So quite a few i would say?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
The new 6 runs a 1.8 turbo. No idea what it is.

My point is 888 need a MG group unit to run in the car. I don't see why they would have a TOCA swindon unit for a factory backed team considering they want the advertisment let alone the fact the TOCA unit is nowhere near the VAG or Honda motors.

AON & Motorbase ran a Mountune Ford unit, Honda had a Neil Brown Honda motor, AMD, STR & RAR all had a TFSI unit.

The 6 runs a 1.8T K series out of the Rover 75. I would be very surprised if they used it, couldn't see it lasting a full race weekend.

Why do 888 need an MG engine? Hell I've read a few times that the RML Chevys run the same old lump that was in the Cavaliers back in the day. Hardly a dealer option is it!

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
As an alternative to the swindon unit. Didn't the mg in 2008 run a k series without issue?

I can recall seeing 888 replace several engines during race weekends last year. Despite being better than 2010 (when euro tech were replacing them almost daily) I still got the Impression they were far from reliable.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
It doesn't have to be an MG engine but has to be from the MG group or its subsidary. I don't know anything about MG to know where they have a suitable engine.

As an alternative to the swindon unit. Didn't the mg in 2008 run a k series without issue?

I can recall seeing 888 replace several engines during race weekends last year. Despite being better than 2010 (when euro tech were replacing them almost daily) I still got the Impression they were far from reliable.

They used a KV6. Far better than the 4 pot K series.

SAIC who own MG don't have any other of their "own" engines available than the 1.8T K series AFAIK. Would be suicide if they think it's going to launch the brand but who knows, they may have something else.

Oil Burner
So it seems unfortunately i was sort of right about this. Chevrolet have announced their withdrawal from BTCC in 2012.

In effect it seems like BTCC has made themselves an illogical stepping stone into WTCC, which ultimately is where lots of teams seem to want to go (why i don't understand, as i really don't rate it and it gets pretty poor coverage for an international series)

Lets hope RML pick up a new works team. Nissan.... Given they have just developed the two bespoke Juke R's for them? (i won't hold my breath on that one...LOL)

*** I've just re read it and RML say they hope they will be back in the series in the future. Doesn't sound likely for 2012 then :/