ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PLEA FOR CLUTCH HELP!!

Clio Authentique 1.2
Okay so i am an 18 year old lad with a 05 1.2 8v with 38kish on the clock and with Cliosport show coming up next week and me just arriving back from holiday my clutch has almost decided to let go. I am not sure how long is left in it but at a guess it is not long at all.

So with me being a teenager and just getting back from holiday, funds are low with £150 cash all of what is left to my name :s I rang up my local dealer who has quoted me around £100 for the part with £150 fitting :eek: £100 more than i can afford. Now looking around I have found a clutch on the euro car part website for £53.40 which is what I will be going for but the problem is the getting it fitted.

So here is the plea :rasp: is anyone available around the midlands area available to come round or i could travel once i get the part and install the clutch at the home for say FREE :p or at a small cost. I have little knowledge of how easy it is to fit a clutch but i have looked on the guide but I dont own any of the gear needed to fit a clutch.

BUT if nobody is willing to do a good deed... is it worth me going to Halfrauds and buy the axel stands and other parts and have a crack at it with the old man? As it is most likely to save me a few bob.

Thanks for reading and please can HELP :eek:

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
£250 fitted seems a bargain from a dealer! That's only 3 hours labour, my old 1.2s clutch took a full evening to change.

Lionel Richie
good luck doing it on the driveway, birmingham airport, get it to me and it shall be fixed, as Mr T would say though "i ain't no charity, FOOL" ;)

Astra coupe t, nova
I fancy trying my luck too.

I have recently had a baby, after spending £700 on a buggy, £1000 on a cotbed wardrobe etc setup, I am quite low on money. I am selling my Astra coupe to buy an Audi Estate. Oh I got a holiday planned too... what I was wondering Fred is if you would supply fit and maintain my clio with a roll cage, AST coilovers (others just won't do for free) then i'll enter a race series and if you would maintain it for me, as the baby takes up alot of time so I can't waste the time when I could be getting paid, however you can x x

How about if I buy a Audi rs6 would somebody mind paying for my insurance and petrol as i wont be able to afford it.
Unfortunately part of car ownership is budgeting, you spent all your money on holiday which is never a good idea things have a habbit of cropping up at the worst times. Live and learn mate.

At OP. To be honest by the time you've bought all the tools like axle stands, jacks, socket set etc, you'll probably end up paying more than the £250 you've been quoted.

Also if your buying your own clutch, make sure you buy a Valeo one, as these come with alignment tool and replacement release bearing.

ITB'd MK1
At OP. To be honest by the time you've bought all the tools like axle stands, jacks, socket set etc, you'll probably end up paying more than the £250 you've been quoted.

Also if your buying your own clutch, make sure you buy a Valeo one, as these come with alignment tool and replacement release bearing.

I'm yet to buy any clutch kit from any manufacturer that doesn't include a release bearing. 1.2 clutch can be done without removing the box from the bay, but it's still a pain in the arse job. £250 labour isn't a bad price

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm yet to buy any clutch kit from any manufacturer that doesn't include a release bearing. 1.2 clutch can be done without removing the box from the bay, but it's still a pain in the arse job. £250 labour isn't a bad price

He's been quoted £250 parts and labour though! Seems a bargain imo

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i had the same problem as you about 6 months ago, i splashed all my money on a mk1 williams,
and the clutch plate snapped a week later!! with no money to spend on labour i had no choice to take a crack at it myself!!

took me two evenings to do on my own, and that engine bay was far more cramped than a 1.2 bay!!
looking back now, im very glad i did as tought my a lot about the car and gave me confidence to try even larger jobs!!

if youve got the spare time, and the tools, then id definatley suggest doing it yourself,
HOWEVER,
i had all the tools. if you have to go and buy stands, clutch alignment tool, gearbox oil, etc... (thats around £100 already!) then it kind of becomes a false economy and would in the long run be more hastle than paying a garage to do the work. £150 labout is good!!